"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Master Chef

How many U.S. states have you visited?

And, other than your home state, where would you live if you could pick one from all you've been in?

Has to be more than a "pit stop". Stopping for a meal counts. Getting off the highway to drive past a historic site counts. Just driving through on the highway? *bzzzzz* Doesn't count.

I've been to 34 (so far). Figure I should be able to get to all 48 contiguous states before I die. Not so sure about Hawaii or Alaska.

Each state is so special and has so much to offer. UT's Bryce Canyon is more "wow" than the Grand Canyon, IMO. I was surprised at the rolling hills in eastern KS. AZ has amazing heat! (But it's a dry heat. ) And NC has the warmest, friendliest people. My other-than-OH favorite though is VA. I love the countryside and the wineries. Himself loves the history, although over the years I've come to look forward to battlefields and historical places. If it weren't for the humidity and bugs I'd move to Williamsburg in a minute. But...too far from our kids.

Where've you been? Which ones have you liked best? Where would you settle?

Old 06-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

None

One day maybe

Old 06-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Several years ago my B,F,[wife] and I traveled through about 26 states in an old van I made into a camper. We had no air cond. or power anything. Crossing the Miss. river at dusk was very colorful and the buttes in the flatland's were a sight to see.. We met a lot of people in campgrounds and sightseeing. To me my most inspirational site was Mt. Rushmore. The fog had just cleared and the sky was bright blue. My B.F. enjoyed camping at the foot of the Devils Tower with the deer and prairie dogs. We also met people from Germany. They traveled in a Mercedes bus with births on the 1st. level to sleep in. About 30 people were around a campfire eating dinner the bus driver had prepared. Talking with them was one of our most memorable evenings. The people in Cheyenne Wyoming were also very friendly. On to Seattle. Down to L.A. Via coast highway. Van had standard transmission and with no air cond.it was brutal in L.A. traffic. We came back across the middle of the country missing the whole South West portion, Next on to Fla. Came back up the eastern corridor through the Smokey Mountains. If I had my choice I would live in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains in Tenn. Then on to the Skyline Drive to the Amish country and back to the Northeast. We hope to see the Southwest sometime in the future. We saw a lot of things. met a lot of people, and had a lot of fun. Also cooked a lot of our own meals and had meals in many very interesting places. mysterychef
Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Head Chef

All but Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Hawaii, Alaska, North Dakota.

I have had drivers licenses in Illinois, Virginia, Washington, Alabama, Kentucky, Utah, Minnesota, and Missouri.

I. Am. Never. Moving. Again.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterychef View Post
Several years ago my B,F,[wife] and I traveled through about 26 states in an old van I made into a camper. We had no air cond. or power anything. Crossing the Miss. river at dusk was very colorful and the buttes in the flatland's were a sight to see.. We met a lot of people in campgrounds and sightseeing. To me my most inspirational site was Mt. Rushmore. The fog had just cleared and the sky was bright blue. My B.F. enjoyed camping at the foot of the Devils Tower with the deer and prairie dogs. We also met people from Germany. They traveled in a Mercedes bus with births on the 1st. level to sleep in. About 30 people were around a campfire eating dinner the bus driver had prepared. Talking with them was one of our most memorable evenings. The people in Cheyenne Wyoming were also very friendly. On to Seattle. Down to L.A. Via coast highway. Van had standard transmission and with no air cond.it was brutal in L.A. traffic. We came back across the middle of the country missing the whole South West portion, Next on to Fla. Came back up the eastern corridor through the Smokey Mountains. If I had my choice I would live in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains in Tenn. Then on to the Skyline Drive to the Amish country and back to the Northeast. We hope to see the Southwest sometime in the future. We saw a lot of things. met a lot of people, and had a lot of fun. Also cooked a lot of our own meals and had meals in many very interesting places. mysterychef
You have probably seen more of this country than most of our citizens have. I have missed most of the states in tornado Alley. OK, MO, NE, KS. I have been cross country three times. One trip took us six weeks. If we saw an interesting side road, we went up it. I have seen big horn sheep, wild mustangs, bison and even a prong horn antelope. The only antelope native to America. I have seen most of the sites our country has to offer. I have lived in CA, MA, HI, TX, NH, MA. Everytime I have come back to Massachusetts. I am fiercely proud to be a Bostonian. I will spout off the history of our city to anyone that will stand still for just ten seconds. If I was forced to find a place to live other than Boston, it would be in Montana on a ranch or farm. I want to be able to get up in the morning and feed the animals before I even think of eating myself. Crazy as it sounds, I love mucking out stalls and giving the animals fresh hay to lay down on. I love the smell of fresh hay. More so when it is being cut and baled. It is hard but very satisfying work. Anytime I have worked with farm animals, I feel like I am doing what God put me here for. That and raising kids.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Everymom

I have been to 9. Most were vacation related. It is one of my goals to visit each Canadian province (just have the Maritimes left!) and all the States.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I have been to 9. Most were vacation related. It is one of my goals to visit each Canadian province (just have the Maritimes left!) and all the States.
I have been to P.E.I. but only at the harbor where we tied up. But what I saw of the land was fascinating. We got to go ashore and to a small eatery. I was able to look out over the land. I could almost feel a Nor'easter blowing across the land. And it was a warm summer sunny day.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Many years ago there was a major explosion in the P.E.I. harbor. Many folks were killed. Boston was the first city to respond with medical care and other needs. As a result, every year P.E.I. sends us a beautiful tall Christmas tree that stands in the Boston Commons for all to enjoy. Thank you P.E.I. for some of the most beautiful trees one could look at.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Many years ago there was a major explosion in the P.E.I. harbor. Many folks were killed. Boston was the first city to respond with medical care and other needs. As a result, every year P.E.I. sends us a beautiful tall Christmas tree that stands in the Boston Commons for all to enjoy. Thank you P.E.I. for some of the most beautiful trees one could look at.
Actually, Addie, that was Halifax, Nova Scotia. Boston
Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Actually, Addie, that was Halifax, Nova Scotia. Boston
You're right. Blame it on a senior moment. The brain goes numb every so often. I knew that it was one of the maritimes. But I still love those trees they send us every year. Thank you.