"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Are you talking per gallon or litre
That's per litre. I only wish it were per gallon!!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck bought gasoline this afternoon and paid $3.12 per gallon.

The price of EVERYTHING has gone up. This time last year I paid 59 cents per dozen for eggs. Now they are $1.89 per dozen. Milk is almost $4 per gallon and that's for 2%.

Buck and I have definitely cut back on some things, beginning small. Instead of having our one can of soda with lunch during the week, we now only have soda on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Drink water instead on Tuesday and Thursday. For our "special" breakfast on Sundays, I've been serving dishes that don't use many eggs. I'm economizing on more but can't remember just now.

It's been making me crazy when I shop every two weeks as I see the price of things going up and up and up and up.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We're paying enough around here that traffic is changing! It's much easier to get to and from places now which is good... on the other hand... less cars being driven means fewer car accidents which is why my hours got cut way back. Well, that's one of the reasons.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

The last time I bought gas it was $3.12. We have natural gas heat - I'm not sure what it is right now. I bought a Ford Escape Hybrid a couple of years ago - since I bought it, I fill up every two to three weeks instead of weekly like I used to with my Tempo.

We've been cutting back on expenses, too. I now make a weekly dinner menu and shop sales more carefully, so I don't buy more than I need. And I'm not going out to lunch as often as I did last year. Got careless about that.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I don't know how people that that don't make a lot of money but make mostly around minimum wage are going to be able to drive to work or afford anything else and if they have kids? If we were allowed to get political on DH I would be spewing my guts out right now.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Talking

It's 3.39 in this part of Ohio today. Where to cut back??? I was considering not ever buying organic eggs again when I paid 4.12 for a dozen at the local Kroger! But thank goodness - my significant other got the hook up where he works and I am now getting farm fresh eggs for 1.00 a dozen!!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #17
Head Chef

I just paid $3.29 for reg gas this morning for my work van, $3.89 for diesel for my pick up truck. Gas and electric for the house has been about $260.00 to $300.00 per month. We've lowered the thermostat a few degrees . We've been cutting back on eating out and going to happy hour. We now try to limit that to once every two weeks or so. Also cutting out vacation for the next two years. Hope something breaks soon....
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #18
Master Chef

We have natural gas and that is at .97 per therm, our total bill for this month was $50.47. Only $27.08 was actually for gas the rest was delivery charges, service charges, and taxes.
As for gas we still have several coupons from Food4Less that save us .15 a gallon so right now we are paying $2.979.
We have only two more of those coupons left...
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly79 View Post
But thank goodness - my significant other got the hook up where he works and I am now getting farm fresh eggs for 1.00 a dozen!!
Does he have a brother?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #20
Head Chef

$3.07 in Atlanta