"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Question How Much Do You Tip At A Buffet?

We have been discussing tipping on another thread, but this questions came up today at lunch. I went out to an Indian buffet. I have always tipped 20% be it a sit down and get served restaurant or a buffet.

Recently I have heard other people saying that at a buffet 10% is considered appropriate.

What do you think? I am especially interested in hearing from people who have worked at a place that had a buffet. Did you expect more than 10%?

Old 08-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
hmm......I never really thought about that one, but all the buffets I have been to I still get a server sitting us, serving drinks, checking on us ect.....why would you tip less if the service is still equal....your choice to go to a buffet.....just my thought

Old 08-23-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Have to agree with ya cowgirl!
Old 08-23-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
Head Chef

After 3 years in business, we put in a buffet. We have both...menu and buffet at all times. When we did...the girls were scared to death they were going to lose tips. But now...they all agree that no matter which one the customer chooses....the tips are about the same.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
all the buffets I have been to I still get a server sitting us, serving drinks, checking on us ect.....why would you tip less if the service is still equal
This is exactly what I was thinking. Actually they probably have to work harder because people go up to the buffet line more than once usually, so that means more dishes to clear.

KAYLINDA, do your girls expect the same tip amount or do they expect less for buffet, but are happy when they get more?

I ask this because some people I know went by the 10% rule and I couldn't understand it at all.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Kay, do you have enough business to keep the buffet up the whole time you are open?

The reason I ask was, we did that on the days we are open until 8. However we found that during the slow period, 2:30-5 the food was too hard to keep without suffering the quality. So, now we break down the buffet between 2:30-3 and reset for 5.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Executive Chef

we have a buffet & menu. Our girls are making pretty good money with most customers eating the buffet. They have even made $100 in one day.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Raine, do you know if they get a lower percentage for buffet customers though?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

No I don't think so. One girl had a party of 8, mostly or all eating the buffet and got a $30 tip.

Now if we had the 20% rule applied, her tip would have only been about $14. and if we paid an hourly wage like all other employees(which we don't have, except for a cashier). She would have made $6-10, or what ever we would be paying.

Most of their buffet tips range from $3-5 a table.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Typically, I only go to Chinese restaurant buffets when I'm eating with my daughter from time to time. We do this because we have different tastes so ordering from the menu for two would be difficult.

When doing the buffet, a waiter still brings and refills water, serves tea, drinks and soup, clears dishes (several times for me), serves dessert, pineapple and fortune cookies. Oh, and he brings the check and takes my money!

I tip around 20%, rounding off to the nearest dollar.