"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question How much Laundry do you do ?

Hello Everybody

I would like to know how many loads of laundry you do in a week on average (or month or year). Everybody has different size households but I would like to see the range.

Thanks,
Poutine

(My friend and I were talking about the new front load washers, they use less water and electricity to run. We are trying to figure out how long it would take to make up for the price difference.)

I posted a poll (like I should have done in the first place)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/laundry-poll-again-32381.html

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Too many!

LOL!!

I usually do whites, colored and jeans at least three times a month and at least once a month I do my sheets and comforter. SO about 10-15 loads a month. I haven't been going out as much so I can wear the same thing a few times before it's really dirty, so it's been a bit less recently.

EDIT: Just read the bottom of your post. I love those front load washers where you can put in like 18 pairs of jeans. My friends parents just got them and she says it's like having one of those jumbo washers from the laundrymat in her home. LOL!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
With 2 kids & 2 adults to wash for, I do at least 2 loads a day. I guess that would be 14 loads a week. I hate doing laundry!! I'd love to have one of the heavy duty front load washers that holds a lot.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Since it's only Buck and me, our quantity of laundry is far less than when the 5 children were at home. Now THAT was laundry!

I wash once a week, alternating weeks with the type of laundry. One week all the whites/hot water items are washed. The next week, the darks/cold water stuff.

Most of the time I only do one load. Always have clean linens, clothes, towels, and undies. That's because we have extra bedding, towels and underwear. I learned to have at least two weeks' worth of such after having major surgery and being unable to do lots of things.

Occasionally, there will be too much bulk for a single load. That's when a second load is done.

I would love to have a front-loading maching. In addition to being energy efficient, they are much better for your clothes. I'll definitely have one when we remodel our kitchen/laundry/pantry.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
Master Chef

I'd say a minimum of 19 to a max of 25.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #6
Sous Chef

My kids are gone but I still do 3 to 5 loads a week it seems.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poutine
Hello Everybody

I would like to know how many loads of laundry you do in a week on average (or month or year). Everybody has different size households but I would like to see the range.

Thanks,
Poutine

(My friend and I were talking about the new front load washers, they use less water and electricity to run. We are trying to figure out how long it would take to make up for the price difference.)
A friend of mine bought a front load and calculated out that she paid for her washer in a year. She does about 5-8 loads a week.

My sister does 8+ loads a week and LOVES her front loader. She says the savings on soap alone was worth it, but figures the electricity and water savings were pretty substantial too. She figures less than a year to pay hers off.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
Head Chef

I have a laundry obsession, I do a load as soon as I have enough dirty clothes piled up. Its just me and my husband, I think I do 5-7 loads per week.

I do not have a front load washer and dryer. Are they worth the extra expense? My Sears Kenmore does the job just fine.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
1 load a day on average, depends on how many chef coats I have in rotation.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I throw everything in one load and do that one load once every week or two. I'm only doing laundry for myself.