"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I never left dishes in the sink until about two years ago. Shrek does the dishes now, it gives him something to do and he waits until I've gone to work to do his thing. So the dishes get left now. I do rinse them.

Clean as I go as much as possible or cleaned the next day if I'm tired. But I do not obsess over it. Before I cook, I make sure I clean anything the cats may have walked on, even though I've never caught them at it.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I didn't realize you could wash the reusable grocery bags. Will have to try that, will it work with the Walmart bags? They look like they're made with stuff that shouldn't be washed. I never put the bags or my purse on the counter. I'm obsessive about washing my hands after handling money.

I just clean as I go, don't use the oven much, and it's got a self cleaning feature which I probably use once a year. Glasstop stove makes life easy, with a razor scraper and liquid cleaner. I use a lot of generic bleach spray for sinks and counter tops, along with vinegar. The fridge doesn't get cleaned as often as it should. I let the dishwasher clean itself, Lemishine really helps. Beagle is on floor duty, along with Roomba and the Hoover Floormate.
I wash the cloth ones in the machine with other stuff, but the ones that are that plastic-like woven stuff, I run those through on the gentle cycle. Where I live, if you want a grocery bag (plastic--we don't have paper ones anymore except at the LCBO), you pay a nickel/bag. I heard the city of Toronto has BANNED grocery bags. Great for the environment, supposedly, but according to Dr. Oz, produce is often covered with stuff (which ends up in a lot of people's grocery bags if they opt to not put each item in a "produce" plastic bag--which are still free here. The theory is that most people don't put meat in a dedicated bag--I know I don't, I'd have to write on the bag to remember which bag I used for meat). I have a mountain of laundry waiting to go in the washer. It is supposed to rain tonight, so it'll have to remain a mountain until Monday when I come back from the farm.

If s/thing lands on the floor, it belongs to the dog (the dog is not allowed in the kitchen when I'm cooking--this is the rule that was put in place when there were 5-7 Saint Bernards and Newfoundlands in the house. It could be dangerous to slip on drool with a sharp knife in one's hand. I was amazed at how often I did the splits when there were that many droolers in residence. Anyway, the dogs were taught to "whoosh" which meant, to back up until they were off the kitchen floor and in the other room. They would all sit in a line and watch. Saint Bernards don't catch flying objects well). If the dog isn't around, whatever hits the floor goes in the chicken pail.

My mother was a surgical nurse before she retired. She traveled with cleaning supplies and would clean the hotel room before we could use anything. She also traveled with her own sheets and pillows.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
... When will they invent a door window that doesn't get messy in between the layers of glass?...
That is certainly one of my pet peeves. Apparently Danes don't put up with that nonsense. I took this picture in my mum's apartment. My sister had let a friend stay and she left the oven filthy (it was brand new). If you look at the sides of the glass, you can see bronze twisty thingees that hold the glass in place. On that oven, you can clean in between the layers of glass.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Let me take these one at a time.

I like to think that my kitchen is cleaner than the average chicken butt.

I am more squeamish about other people's cooties than I am my own.

I very rarely cook or eat on my kitchen floor.

I leave the lid up, TMI ?

I really think all of this cleaning is bad for my immune system!
Absolutely agree.

I worry about raw eggs because of salmonella from sloppy farms.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think something in the fridge growled at me just now.

You're supposed to clean the fridge?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
That is certainly one of my pet peeves. Apparently Danes don't put up with that nonsense. I took this picture in my mum's apartment. My sister had let a friend stay and she left the oven filthy (it was brand new). If you look at the sides of the glass, you can see bronze twisty thingees that hold the glass in place. On that oven, you can clean in between the layers of glass.
I would love that. No twisty thingees on my oven door, and just how the heck does it get so crudded up INSIDE, between the glass panels? It looks totally sealed.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I would love that. No twisty thingees on my oven door, and just how the heck does it get so crudded up INSIDE, between the glass panels? It looks totally sealed.
There is a vent somewhere near the top of the oven door. Often on the top edge. Food falls in through the vent. Bad design. They should make the folks who design this stuff use and clean it.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Could it be because of a difference re: regulations? North American requirements may require that vent...who knows. But it is annoying. One can take the door apart, but even I'm not going there to clean that (unless I were to put the house on the market and wanted to include the appliances...I use my oven fairly often). Now I'll have to ask the Ph.D. why the oven door is such a poor design.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

You're supposed to clean the fridge?
I'm afraid to put my hand in there to look.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
There is a vent somewhere near the top of the oven door. Often on the top edge. Food falls in through the vent. Bad design. They should make the folks who design this stuff use and clean it.
You're right. There's a hole where the latch goes for the self-cleaning cycle, up near the top of the door.

I've never had anything explode in the oven, the only thing that would cause stuff to get in there would be the steam build up. No way food could fall in it, the hole is up too high.