"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
You're right. There's a hole where the latch goes for the self-cleaning cycle, up near the top of the door.

I've never had anything explode in the oven, the only thing that would cause stuff to get in there would be the steam build up. No way food could fall in it, the hole is up too high.
Sometimes they are on the front of the top of the oven door. This is what the vents look like on my oven. That's the top of the oven door. Food falls in when using the stove top and when something spills while using the stove top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3248.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	15579  

Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Could it be because of a difference re: regulations? North American requirements may require that vent...who knows. But it is annoying. One can take the door apart, but even I'm not going there to clean that (unless I were to put the house on the market and wanted to include the appliances...I use my oven fairly often). Now I'll have to ask the Ph.D. why the oven door is such a poor design.
The Danish oven door has vents. It just has any easy way to take out the inner glass so you can clean it. I put that inner glass in the sink and gave it a good scrub. I scrubbed the inside of the other glass too.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh, I see mine is on the outside near the top. Hmm. Didn't think I was THAT sloppy!

Makes sense though. Thanks, Tax!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh, I see mine is on the outside near the top. Hmm. Didn't think I was THAT sloppy!

Makes sense though. Thanks, Tax!
You're not that sloppy. It's every single tiny thing that EVER falls in there plus grease condensing from the air, like the little brown spots that appear on kitchen walls.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Why can't the vents be on the bottom (work with gravity...). Just curious...
Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
You're not that sloppy. It's every single tiny thing that EVER falls in there plus grease condensing from the air, like the little brown spots that appear on kitchen walls.
Yep, that's what mine looks like! Now I know!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Why can't the vents be on the bottom (work with gravity...). Just curious...
I don't really know, but I think it is because hot air rises. I'm not really sure what the danged vents are supposed to do. Would the door explode from hot air if there weren't any vents?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 AM   #48
Master Chef

I once took apart my self-cleaning oven door to clean between the panes of glass. The self-cleaning function never again worked after that. I don't know how it gets dirty, but at least this stove I've had since I bought it, as I did my last one, and I do not know how that one drip seems to get and stay there, but don't dare to try to fix it again. Does annoy me, though.

My dishwasher is my husband. We had an odd sort of pre-nup. The two caveats were that the person who is doing a job the other person does not want to do, is doing it right, period. In other words, if you don't like the way it is done, do it yourself. The other is that s/he who cooks does not wash dishes. Even my mother honors this (I visit once a year, my mom, husband or sibs take care of the dishes, I do most of the cooking).
Old 08-31-2012, 03:44 AM   #49
Master Chef

Oh, for those who haven't heard it already, my self-cleaning oven story: When I moved into this house the first thing I did was take a little money put by for updating the house and bought the aforementioned glass-topped stove (the previous stove was avocado green and a real eye-sore). the first time I ran it, it smoked and smelled to high heaven. I called Sears and they tried to convince me I didn't know what the normal smell is of a self-cleaning stove. Duh, I'm not 19, this is easily my 4th, and none smelled like this. The thing is, it only smelled bad after the first 45 minutes or so. They sent a guy who could find nothing. So .... told him he'd have to wait the 45+ minutes. Didn't matter to him, "I'm paid by the hour." But then I saw a lightbulb go off. He got out all the tools he needed and pried up the glass stove top. Sitting there was about a cup of dry dog food kibble. Burned, of course. Mice had been storing it there for a rainy day. We all got a good laugh. At the time I had cardboard under-bed storage boxes. And yes, there, nestled in all my off-season clothes, were little pockets of dog food. I thought my dogs were eating a lot, but it was their first "real" winter (one had been born in Hawaii, the other in Florida) and I just assumed they were trying to put on fat. Instead they were feeding families of mice (I finally took some advice, and my current doggie eats when I put food down or it goes away, and not with the help of mice).
Old 08-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think something in the fridge growled at me just now.