How often do you....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Clean your oven?
The burner rings/under the burners on the stove?
kitchen floor?
dishwasher?
Fridge?

I clean my oven once/week.
I do the burner rings/under them daily
Ditto for the kitchen floor
The dishwasher--once a month
The fridge--once a week (usually on Saturday mornings--but not always)

I find cleaning the oven and burner rings means that it is never a big chore. The fridge--that is to make sure nothing is turning green! The DW, to keep it running. The floor--I have a thing about being able to walk on a clean floor in barefeet and not get dirty feet. What about you--how often, if at all, do you do these chores?

This cleaning has got to stop! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I clean the oven every thirty or forty years, as needed! I do keep a pan in it to catch the odd drip but, that does not happen often.

The floor gets swept every day and mopped once in a while, my feet are clean.

Cleaning the burner rings is not much of a problem for me. My problem is trying to rotate the use of the burners so I don't wear one out by using it all the time. I rarely use more than one burner at a time.

The fridg. gets a musgoe review once a week and a wipe or two as needed.

I am the dishwasher and I shower at least once a day, sometimes twice! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This cleaning has got to stop! :ermm::LOL:

I clean the oven every thirty or forty years, as needed! I do keep a pan in it to catch the odd drip but, that does not happen often.

The floor gets swept every day and mopped once in a while, my feet are clean.

Cleaning the burner rings is not much of a problem for me. My problem is trying to rotate the use of the burners so I don't wear one out by using it all the time. I rarely use more than one burner at a time.

The fridg. gets a musgoe review once a week and a wipe or two as needed.

I am the dishwasher and I shower at least once a day, sometimes twice! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oh to have a terrazzo kitchen floor like the ones at the old Zum Zum and a slop sink to go with it; although softer floors are better for Mrs. Butterfingers.

Last edited:
I do that kind of cleaning very rarely. DW usually does it. Not that I am a male chauvinist pig, because I'm not. She's just a little more compulsive about the cleaning than I am, and if she waits for me to do something, it doesn't get done as quickly or to her satisfaction.

I have a glass top stove an a self-cleaning oven, so a quick swipe witn=h a wet sponge is usually all that's needed.

I clean the fridge when it looks dirty.

The dishwasher gets cleaned every time I run a load of dishes.

You're supposed to clean the klitchen floor? I thought that's what the dog was for.

Last edited:
I clean the oven when preheating it generates smells and smoke.
I clean the top of the stove when spilled food bits interfere with the flame.
I clean the fridge when it smells or something spills
I clean the floor when I start sticking to it too often

I don't clean the dishwasher, it cleans itself when I run it.

:ohmy::ohmy:

The only other room I clean obsessively (do I really clean the kitchen obsessively?) is the bathroom...every other room is supposed to clean itself. I guess I just feel that the kitchen, since that is where food is prepped, should be clean. And, I hate cleaning the oven, the stovetop--so cleaning those often, cuts down on the pain.

Y'all are kidding, right? I mean come on, you can't eat an unpasterized egg, won't eat s/thing prepared and brought to a potluck, but you have no problem eating food that has been prepared in a kitchen where the floor isn't washed until it is sticky, etc. or kitchen appliances are kept in bathrooms (btw, when you flush, I do hope you close the lid), you've got to be egging me on, I hope. The kitchen and bathroom are the two rooms where the most germs are found. My house may not be the cleanest house in town, but my kitichen and bathroom are cleaned daily.

Question--do you keep your car cleaner than your kitchen? If so, why?

Ceramic stove top is so easy to clean. Wipe down with a soapy sponge after cooking. Occasionally scrub with Scotch green pad and Soft Scrub (every other week). Oven is self cleaning and gets done when needed. Have had the appliance 3 years now and probably have run the clean cycle 5 or 6 times. Refrigerator gets cleaned when there's a spill but will go through the food every week to throw out and get rid of stuff. Will wipe down the shelves then if needed. Maybe once a year the whole thing gets emptied and washed. I try to sweep the floor daily because of the dog hair. Mopping at least once a week if I can. I've been using my carpet cleaner which does a wonderful job of scrubbing and sucking up the water. No waiting for it to dry. Dishwasher front gets wiped down when needed and will wipe the seals off about twice a year but otherwise no cleaning. The kitchen is the one room that I try to keep fairly clean and organized. It doesn't always happen and I'll have times where things get left off the to-do list.

Y'all are kidding, right? I mean come on, you can't eat an unpasterized egg, won't eat s/thing prepared and brought to a potluck, but you have no problem eating food that has been prepared in a kitchen where the floor isn't washed until it is sticky, etc. or kitchen appliances are kept in bathrooms (btw, when you flush, I do hope you close the lid), you've got to be egging me on, I hope. The kitchen and bathroom are the two rooms where the most germs are found. My house may not be the cleanest house in town, but my kitichen and bathroom are cleaned daily.

Question--do you keep your car cleaner than your kitchen? If so, why?

Let me take these one at a time.

I like to think that my kitchen is cleaner than the average chicken butt.

I am more squeamish about other people's cooties than I am my own.

I very rarely cook or eat on my kitchen floor.

I leave the lid up, TMI ?

I really think all of this cleaning is bad for my immune system! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Y'all are kidding, right? ...you've got to be egging me on, I hope...

Truth be told, I was kinda teasing you.

I don't clean anything on a schedule. My cleaning is more event driven. I clean countertops, stovetops and the sink after prepping or cooking meals. The fridge gets cleaned in parts. The meat and cheese bin today. Maybe next week the top shelves, etc. A while ago, a bottle of root beer froze and exploded on the top shelf. That called for a full top to bottom cleaning because that stuff was literally everywhere.

I keep a spray bottle of diluted bleach to sanitize food prep surfaces and tools when handling poultry and some other foods. My dishwasher sanitizes with a high temp cycle so everything that's dw safe is always sanitary. This includes all plastic cutting boards except for one that's too big for the DW.

CWS, you are a bit obsessive about cleaning according to your own admission and your earlier post on the topic so anything less that what you do will appear inadequate.

Our kitchen is clean enough (Well, most of the time anyway. When daughter comes home from college, all bets are off). The floors are swept every day, but only mopped once a week. I don't leave food sitting out, and the dishes are done once or twice daily. As for the fridge, I try to throw out any dodgy food weekly, but it may go as long as a month without a top to bottom cleaning. I'd say the oven gets cleaned only when something in there is causing it to smoke. Mostly we take precautions to prevent drips when cooking, so it doesn't need cleaning very often. Maybe twice a year.

But I also don't get the heeby-jeebies from a few germs. I have eaten plenty of unpasteurized eggs and have no problem with potluck food, either. Put it this way: I used to be an avid camper and have eaten a lot of meals that were prepared under less then sanitary conditions. I mean, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?

Last edited:
Our kitchen is clean enough (Well, most of the time anyway. When daughter comes home from college, all bets are off). The floors are swept every day, but only mopped once a week. I don't leave food sitting out, and the dishes are done once or twice daily. As for the fridge, I try to throw out any dodgy food weekly, but it may go as long as a month without a top to bottom cleaning. I'd say the oven gets cleaned only when something in there is causing it to smoke. Mostly we take precautions to prevent drips when cooking, so it doesn't need cleaning very often. Maybe twice a year.

But I also don't get the heeby-jeebies from a few germs. I have eaten plenty of unpasteurized eggs and have no problem with potluck food, either. Put it this way: I used to be an avid camper and have eaten a lot of meals that were prepared under less then sanitary conditions. I mean, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?
I agree--but I find it ironic that people worry about making mayonnaise from unpasteurized eggs or about eating something prepared by s/one else. We've had several threads on this. I do clean my stove every day--why? Because I hate deep-cleaning. I prefer to pop the burners out (not a flat-top--yet) and clean them every day. I hate cleaning my mother's stove. I prefer to run the cycle to clean the oven once a week. There's not as much gunk that way. And, because I have a dog, I prefer to clean the floors daily--actually, my Roomba and Vac-n-Steam prefer to do that. Could you imagine me with a cat that walked on the counters? YUCK!!! I don't want "litterbox feet" anywhere near where I prepare food. Which reminds me, I have a stack of stuff to move out of the back entrance...I am only anal about two rooms--the others are a bit chaotic.

We clean the stove and refrigerator as needed. The floor gets swept every other day or so. Mopped once a week. Dishes as needed. Dishwasher gets cleaned once a day, every day unless they are at Rendezvous or out modern camping. We have cats but they refuse to use the litterbox....they do their business outside. We tried to get them to use the litterbox over and over again to no avail. I reckon they would bust open before they would use a litterbox.

Ones a week is good enough for me. Who has time to do it more often if we both work full time plus. If kids spill stuff they know to sweep after themselves.
And unpasturised eggs. chicken killed by friend of mine and the raw milk for that, matter are perfectly fine by me.:LOL:

When I had rings around/under the burners, I cleaned them as used because they got so messy. Now I have a flat-topped-glass stove, and that's one of the reasons. Easy to clean.

Oven? not at all during the summer (no kitchen a/c). When the cooler weather hits, I run the oven, and wipe out when cool. When will they invent a door window that doesn't get messy in between the layers of glass?

The kitchen floor gets vacuumed every week or so, mopped less often.

My fridge is a problem. I live in an 1854 house, and the fridge is tucked under the "servants' stairs", in such a way that to get to the left bottom drawer I have to dis-assemble the entire fridge (can"t just wipe it), So, over the years since we moved here, I make it a two person job, since squatting can be a problem. So I sit on a short stool and hand various things to my husband and we work together on it. So it pretty much gets done a few times a year (I wipe shelves and other drawers as needed).

Counter tops, stove top, get wiped whenever I use them. The sink gets bleached every week or so.

I used to consider myself a bit of a slob, but then in emergencies walked into friends' houses when I wasn't expected. Now I know why they consider me to be a neat-nik.

I guess it depends on how you were raised. My mother is definitely a neat-nik, and considering myself a slob -- and all my sibs do as well -- comes from being raised in a house where we cleaned daily. During the summer and on vacations from school, we scrubbed the kitchen down daily. We also, on Mon-Weds-Fri-Sun used the carpet sweeper, dry mop, and feather duster. Tuesday and Thursday we wet-mopped and furniture polished. The kitchen was cleaned right after supper, and wiped down after breakfast and lunch as well. Defrosting the freezer, cleaning the fridge and oven I'd say were about monthly, except when there was a major spill.

Compared to this I'm a slob.

When I had rings around/under the burners, I cleaned them as used because they got so messy. Now I have a flat-topped-glass stove, and that's one of the reasons. Easy to clean.

Oven? not at all during the summer (no kitchen a/c). When the cooler weather hits, I run the oven, and wipe out when cool. When will they invent a door window that doesn't get messy in between the layers of glass?

The kitchen floor gets vacuumed every week or so, mopped less often.

My fridge is a problem. I live in an 1854 house, and the fridge is tucked under the "servants' stairs", in such a way that to get to the left bottom drawer I have to dis-assemble the entire fridge (can"t just wipe it), So, over the years since we moved here, I make it a two person job, since squatting can be a problem. So I sit on a short stool and hand various things to my husband and we work together on it. So it pretty much gets done a few times a year (I wipe shelves and other drawers as needed).

Counter tops, stove top, get wiped whenever I use them. The sink gets bleached every week or so.

I used to consider myself a bit of a slob, but then in emergencies walked into friends' houses when I wasn't expected. Now I know why they consider me to be a neat-nik.

I guess it depends on how you were raised. My mother is definitely a neat-nik, and considering myself a slob -- and all my sibs do as well -- comes from being raised in a house where we cleaned daily. During the summer and on vacations from school, we scrubbed the kitchen down daily. We also, on Mon-Weds-Fri-Sun used the carpet sweeper, dry mop, and feather duster. Tuesday and Thursday we wet-mopped and furniture polished. The kitchen was cleaned right after supper, and wiped down after breakfast and lunch as well. Defrosting the freezer, cleaning the fridge and oven I'd say were about monthly, except when there was a major spill.

Compared to this I'm a slob.
It definitely is, in my case, reflective of how I was raised--re: the floor, sink, oven, fridge. The burner rings is my "add-in" because I hate having gunk on them and under them. I have a flat-top stove top, just waiting to find the wall-mount oven I want and and to convince someone that I need these things in this kitchen. I also share the kitchen with 2 lodgers 4 months' of the year, so I want them to leave the kitchen the way I leave it so I don't have to clean it before I use it--it is my kitchen and I want it clean.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom