"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I only eat twice a day, but each meal has some kind of protein (usually chicken, fish, or tofu) that's low in saturated and trans fats. I take in a lot of fats tasting and sampling various things at work (i.e. foie gras, kobe beef, sauces laced with butter, etc.) so I try to eat as healthy as possible when I'm not in the restaurant.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

We have one meal a day of meat,poulty or fish..Breakfast for me is usually a crumpet and coffee,lunch now that it's summer I've been living on sliced tomatoes on a slice or two of italian bread with a little evoo and balsamic and a slice of sweet onion and avocado, dinner is meat or a pasta with meat, veggie,and green salad or fruit and biscuits,rolls or bread of some sort.. During the winter, there are more beans, rice,stew,soups,pasties,pot pies. Sunday we my DH and I go out for breakfast and then I just indulge my fancy..Last sunday it was a lightly flavored of lemon crepes with a frozen strawberry jam and coffee, sometimes I just have toast and bacon..DH really goes for it on sunday..Then we skip lunch and go home and start the goodies for our sunday family day..This is usually a gut buster and it's not unusual for me to grill 2-3 tri-tip or 3 chcikens..
There is never less than 15 here for dinner on sunday..

I'd say we or DH eats more meat than I do..I love rice,beans,pasta and veggies
kadesma

Old 07-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Ok, am I crazy, or does any else like a sandwich of two slice of bread, mayo, mustard, lettuce, and tomato. Sometimes add onion and pickle, and balsamic vinegar. No meat, But I LOVE that sandwich!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
Ok, am I crazy, or does any else like a sandwich of two slice of bread, mayo, mustard, lettuce, and tomato. Sometimes add onion and pickle, and balsamic vinegar. No meat, But I LOVE that sandwich!
Okay, keltin, I'll do you one better (weirder?). When I was a youngster, I loved Miracle Whip sandwiches. Just two slices of bread with some Miracle Whip spread inside. However, I have to say in my defense that the sandwich was borne of my family's traditional Catholic restrictions on meat during Lent. When one is young and growing, ya gotta eat!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

We have meat every dinner, my parent were meat and potato people ! I'm
including pasta w/meat sauce, taco's, sea food as meat too !
Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Most dinner meals are centered around a meat, chicken or fish dish. I don't eat much meat. If we have steak, I only eat a small amount, also only 1 small piece of chicken or fish. I like veggies more. If we aren't having a meat dish, I try to make a heartier vegetable meal, which I could enjoy every day but dh enjoys once a week perhaps.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #17
Head Chef

I kind of thought this is how it was going to go. Some have said that meat eaters canít go a day without meat and donít consider it a meal without it. I didnít think that was the case since Iím not that way, and this thread is proving it to be the caseÖÖ.but is everyone voting on the poll??? I created that off site with a free web based poll system called Snap Polls. Itís free, but it does track the numbers. So far, only 8 votes there, but here is the break down of the cast votes:

----------------------------------------------------------
How often do you eat meat with your meal?

Every single meal! 0% - 0

Most meals, but occasionally I go meatless. 75% - 6

50/50, I usually flip a coin to decide. 13% - 1

I rarely eat meat. 0% - 0

Yuk! I never eat meat! 13% - 1

total votes: 8
----------------------------------------------------------

So, no one has yet to say, Iíve got to have meat every tie I eat a meal. Most interesting. Also, no ďrarely eat meatĒ.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #18
Cook

And just some FYI, if you eat fish you are not, I repeat, not a vegetarian. There are some sites that say if you eat fish you are a pescotarian(?), but if it has a face, you cannot fall into the category of vegetarians.

No one persons post made me post this, it's just I see some people who think you can eat non plant based food and be considered a vegetarian.

Websters definition of vegetarianism:
The theory or practice of living on a vegetarian diet.

Vegetarian:
Consisting wholly of vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and sometimes eggs or dairy products

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treklady
And just some FYI, if you eat fish you are not, I repeat, not a vegetarian. There are some sites that say if you eat fish you are a pescotarian(?), but if it has a face, you cannot fall into the category of vegetarians.

No one persons post made me post this, it's just I see some people who think you can eat non plant based food and be considered a vegetarian.

Websters definition of vegetarianism:
The theory or practice of living on a vegetarian diet.

Vegetarian:
Consisting wholly of vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and sometimes eggs or dairy products
But, isn’t a “true” vegetarian one that does not ingest (or use for that matter) any form of animal. No animal life what-so-ever. I believe they call it vegan? No leather, no animal milk, no eggs, no butter, etc?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:54 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I serve a meat meal 2-4 times per week - usually the 4 times a week in the winter. Partly because at different times one or more of the kids would go vegetarian and a couple still are. Partly because meat is the food I have so much trouble cooking properly so no one really requested it much. But we consume an enormous amount of milk, cheese, butter and even tofu. And almost every meal includes beans of some sort, even when we are having meat.