How often do you eat meat with your meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
Do you have to have meat with every meal? Is it just a clutter of side-dishes without some meat, or do you skip the meat every so often? Perhaps you’re a vegetarian, and know a meal can be a knockout without animal flesh?

Take this poll to vote

Last edited:
We have fish at least once a week, the same with pasta. For us it's cyclical, we tend to eat more meat when it's cold. Having said that, I am a carnivor at heart.;)

We're carnivores at heart, too. That said, we eat at least one meatless meal a week. It is NOT, however, "a whole bunch of sides!" There are many tasty and attractive meatless main dishes!

I consider fish "meat," and we eat quite a lot of it. :chef:

ChefJune said:
We're carnivores at heart, too. That said, we eat at least one meatless meal a week. It is NOT, however, "a whole bunch of sides!" There are many tasty and attractive meatless main dishes!

I consider fish "meat," and we eat quite a lot of it. :chef:

Also carnivores at heart, but we go meatless as well. About every two weeks or so. We also consider fish a meat.

But you know, my lunches are 50/50. Some days a sandwich with meat, other days a big bowl of pasta!

:) We eat meat but not always with every meal,or eat something that does not have alot of meat like beans.I love brown rice with some vegies and make a meal out of that.I guess it depends on the mood.Im not big on meat in a salad.

Hmmm, let me see, keltin. When it comes to eating meat at breakfast for Buck and me, that only happens on Sunday. That's the one day I prepare a nicer breakfast, so we may have bacon, sausage, etc.

Lunchtime during the week is usually composed of leftovers from the night before. If no leftovers, then we may have soup (dry with added water) in the colder months, or tuna or egg salad or lunch meat or hot dogs out of the freezer when the weather's warm. Don't usually have lunch on Saturday or Sunday.

I plan our evening mean menus several months in advance and schedule a regular rotation of poultry, pork/ham/sausage, fish, beef, lamb, and meatless entrees. With the entrees I usually prepare two sides, which could be a fruit or veggie and some sort of starch or pasta. We don't always have dessert.

I only eat twice a day, but each meal has some kind of protein (usually chicken, fish, or tofu) that's low in saturated and trans fats. I take in a lot of fats tasting and sampling various things at work (i.e. foie gras, kobe beef, sauces laced with butter, etc.) so I try to eat as healthy as possible when I'm not in the restaurant.

We have one meal a day of meat,poulty or fish..Breakfast for me is usually a crumpet and coffee,lunch now that it's summer I've been living on sliced tomatoes on a slice or two of italian bread with a little evoo and balsamic and a slice of sweet onion and avocado, dinner is meat or a pasta with meat, veggie,and green salad or fruit and biscuits,rolls or bread of some sort.. During the winter, there are more beans, rice,stew,soups,pasties,pot pies. Sunday we my DH and I go out for breakfast and then I just indulge my fancy..Last sunday it was a lightly flavored of lemon crepes with a frozen strawberry jam and coffee, sometimes I just have toast and bacon..DH really goes for it on sunday..Then we skip lunch and go home and start the goodies for our sunday family day..This is usually a gut buster and it's not unusual for me to grill 2-3 tri-tip or 3 chcikens..
There is never less than 15 here for dinner on sunday..

I'd say we or DH eats more meat than I do..I love rice,beans,pasta and veggies
kadesma;)

Ok, am I crazy, or does any else like a sandwich of two slice of bread, mayo, mustard, lettuce, and tomato. Sometimes add onion and pickle, and balsamic vinegar. No meat, But I LOVE that sandwich!

keltin said:
Ok, am I crazy, or does any else like a sandwich of two slice of bread, mayo, mustard, lettuce, and tomato. Sometimes add onion and pickle, and balsamic vinegar. No meat, But I LOVE that sandwich!

Okay, keltin, I'll do you one better (weirder?). When I was a youngster, I loved Miracle Whip sandwiches. Just two slices of bread with some Miracle Whip spread inside. However, I have to say in my defense that the sandwich was borne of my family's traditional Catholic restrictions on meat during Lent. When one is young and growing, ya gotta eat!

We have meat every dinner, my parent were meat and potato people ! I'm
including pasta w/meat sauce, taco's, sea food as meat too !

Last edited:
Most dinner meals are centered around a meat, chicken or fish dish. I don't eat much meat. If we have steak, I only eat a small amount, also only 1 small piece of chicken or fish. I like veggies more. If we aren't having a meat dish, I try to make a heartier vegetable meal, which I could enjoy every day but dh enjoys once a week perhaps.

I kind of thought this is how it was going to go. Some have said that meat eaters can’t go a day without meat and don’t consider it a meal without it. I didn’t think that was the case since I’m not that way, and this thread is proving it to be the case…….but is everyone voting on the poll??? I created that off site with a free web based poll system called Snap Polls. It’s free, but it does track the numbers. So far, only 8 votes there, but here is the break down of the cast votes:

----------------------------------------------------------
How often do you eat meat with your meal?

Every single meal! 0% - 0

Most meals, but occasionally I go meatless. 75% - 6

50/50, I usually flip a coin to decide. 13% - 1

I rarely eat meat. 0% - 0

Yuk! I never eat meat! 13% - 1

total votes: 8
----------------------------------------------------------

So, no one has yet to say, I’ve got to have meat every tie I eat a meal. Most interesting. Also, no “rarely eat meat”.

And just some FYI, if you eat fish you are not, I repeat, not a vegetarian. There are some sites that say if you eat fish you are a pescotarian(?), but if it has a face, you cannot fall into the category of vegetarians.

No one persons post made me post this, it's just I see some people who think you can eat non plant based food and be considered a vegetarian.

Websters definition of vegetarianism:
The theory or practice of living on a vegetarian diet.

Vegetarian:
Consisting wholly of vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and sometimes eggs or dairy products

Treklady said:
And just some FYI, if you eat fish you are not, I repeat, not a vegetarian. There are some sites that say if you eat fish you are a pescotarian(?), but if it has a face, you cannot fall into the category of vegetarians.

No one persons post made me post this, it's just I see some people who think you can eat non plant based food and be considered a vegetarian.

Websters definition of vegetarianism:
The theory or practice of living on a vegetarian diet.

Vegetarian:
Consisting wholly of vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts, and sometimes eggs or dairy products

But, isn’t a “true” vegetarian one that does not ingest (or use for that matter) any form of animal. No animal life what-so-ever. I believe they call it vegan? No leather, no animal milk, no eggs, no butter, etc?

Last edited:
I serve a meat meal 2-4 times per week - usually the 4 times a week in the winter. Partly because at different times one or more of the kids would go vegetarian and a couple still are. Partly because meat is the food I have so much trouble cooking properly so no one really requested it much. But we consume an enormous amount of milk, cheese, butter and even tofu. And almost every meal includes beans of some sort, even when we are having meat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom