"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Master Chef

Yeah, Max, it is cheaper and healthier to cook at home. But this gal has to scrub the stove, the floors, etc, and I'm fortunate (or smart enough) to have a husband who will wash dishes. What I'm getting at is that eating out isn't just about the food, it is about having a few hours where husband and I can just enjoy each others' company (and sometimes some of our friends). I love to cook, but can't say I love to scrub and clean. So going out isn't so much about the food around here, but about not having to be the scullery maid.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
What I'm getting at is that eating out isn't just about the food, it is about having a few hours where husband and I can just enjoy each others' company (and sometimes some of our friends).
Very true!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

^^^ I agree with this as well. Food is somewhat secondary but lousy food or service can ruin your entire evening....
Old 01-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
^^^ I agree with this as well. Food is somewhat secondary but lousy food or service can ruin your entire evening....

Another very true statement.

There seems to be sort of a threshold where you decide whether to make an issue or not. But there is nothing worse than paying significant dinero to be aggravated.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

Sadly, most of the restaurants locally just are not as good as they used to be. So, my family and I rarely eat out dinner unless we drive to Reno, NV and even then we mostly meet for lunch. I probably eat out 5-10 times per month total. Being single it is mostly a social thing. I get tired of eating by myself, so I will go to the local diner for breakfast and occasionally lunch. That number also includes bringing home Chinese takeout which is what I do when I go grocery shopping in Reno.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i very seldom eat food that i have not prepared. when i eat fast food, maybe three times a year, i bring it home to eat. big meal maybe three times a year. to expensive, and i just enjoy cooking so much. when i get bored i just shop (on line) for ingredients and make something different. re. tamales this week.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
............ So going out isn't so much about the food around here, but about not having to be the scullery maid.
Here, here! And unlike you, I'm not fortunate enough to have a DH who does pots and pans (dishes go into the dishwasher) after I've messed them all up!

We rarely went out to eat when we lived in OH. With two kids at home and more chains than family restaurants it was easier/cheaper to cook. When we moved here we were so surprised by the number of stand-alone restaurants with outstanding prices and portions. We went crazy. At first it was 3-4 times a week. Now it's about once a week, sometimes twice. We have a couple of favorites since the food is way beyond "restaurant food" or they make something I do not make at home (can you say "broasted chicken"? yummmmm....)
Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #18
Executive Chef

we have NO temptations within a 45 minute drive...so we eat out a couple times a year....not counting eating out when traveling, but even then I pack some food for road trips..

our main form of entertainment is eating at friends houses or having them over here..
Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post

our main form of entertainment is eating at friends houses or having them over here..
We get more of a kick out of doing that than going to a restaurant. Besides being very casual, you can get wasted.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
We get more of a kick out of doing that than going to a restaurant. Besides being very casual, you can get wasted.
I'd rather go to a restaurant. I'm antisocial.