"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Master Chef

How often do you eat out?

This is one of those things I really don't know where to place.

How often do you eat outside of your own home?

I think it counts as eating at home if you eat a meal you prepared at home (a sandwich or salad or soup you made and ate at work)

I, personally, eat outside of my home one or two times a week. I'm in my mid fifties, and my husband is in his early 60s. We're retired and on a bit of a budget, but not poor by any means. We're careful with our money, though. We have a group who get together on Friday nights, and we eat out then, and when it is a special occaision, we have a big thing.

When we take our annual trip to be with my family, we actually do eat fast food, but that is maybe 3 or 4 meals a year.

But on a day-to-day basis, how many meals do you not prepare? Carry out, fast food, nice dinners/lunches/ breakfasts out? I'm just curious

Old 01-31-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Everymom

I think I could say less than once per month on average. I go for "lunch" or "coffee" with friends more often than not and I'm counting those. As for REAL restaurant outings, I could say definitively that we go out no more than 4 times a year.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Generally my DH & me went out to eat once a week but after I became pregnant we haven't went out to eat.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I work full time, so that dictates a lot of my eating habits. Obviously then, I eat lunch out 5 days a week. Breakfast on workdays usually consists of a fruit & nut type breakfast bar with a diet Pepsi while I'm driving over the Sunshine Skyway.

On the weekend, I need to spend 1 day shopping & running all the errands that I can't do during the work week. That typically means having lunch and/or dinner along the route somewhere.

At least once during the week I just don't feel like cooking after a long day, so we go out and have dinner & a martini somewhere nearby.

Add to all that the special occasions and the planned social evenings, and I probably eat about 1/3 of my meals at home.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
Executive Chef

When working and living in NYC and weekending on Eastern Long Island we ate out about half the time. Now that we're living full time on Eastern Long Island we eat out little more than 6 times a year. Sadly by and large, we find the cost of most local restaurant food has become increasingly unjustified by it's quality and quantity. Over the course of the last 10 to 15 years we've seen most all of our favorite dining establishments close down.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Head Chef

About twice a month. And then it is usually either Vietnamese, Thai or a decent Oriental buffet heavy on fresh sushi.
Ditto that we have become less enamored of restaurant food...

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrilligFool
Ditto that we have become less enamored of restaurant food...
+1

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Don't eat out anymore

Over two years ago I used to eat out (lunches) once a week. Since then I don't eat out at all. It's much cheaper and healthier to cook all my meals and eat only at home.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
Head Chef

I cook every Saturday, try to make it special. My wife will cook at least one a week.

I work from home M-F, so usually I will just forage at home. Occasionally, if a meeting brings me into a meeting in person, I will grab something from one of my company's cafeterias.

My wife is a nurse, works 2-3 days a week, usually 12 hour shifts, getting home around 9:00 pm, she will grab takeout for herself. She usually buys lunch on her workdays.

We go out typically twice a week. More often than not to a moderately priced place (tab w/wine or drinks & tip, $50-$80).

About once a month, we go to someplace much nicer.

And a nice breakfast out every other Sunday.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

We go out to eat once in a while for convenience and a change in atmosphere.