"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: How often do you eat out/get take out?
more than once a day 1 2.00%
once a day 3 6.00%
more than once a week 14 28.00%
once a week 11 22.00%
more than once a month 8 16.00%
once a month 5 10.00%
rarely or never 10 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Past that, while I sometimes crave the ease and the atmosphere, I'm just too critical of the food to be satisfied dining anywhere that isn't truly superb, and that's usually out of the question money-wise. The mid-range stuff just makes me sick that I've spent the money for what is always mediocre food. However, because we so seldom eat out, we can justify splurging on the occasional filet or huge, fresh prawns.
I feel exactly the same way. I don't want to go out to dinner unless it is a magnificent restaurant and we just can't afford that very often. We definately go out for our birthdays, a special dinner around Christmas and maybe one other time a year.

I am most always disappointed when we go out to the 'mediocre' places so I'd rather go buy a couple of lobsters and have a wonderful dinner at home.

Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Head Chef
I rarely eat out, delivery is non-existent in this little town, and take out just seems to take longer than cooking something at home. I don't even go out for lunch--I come home most days.

There are several reasons why I don't eat out. I don't like to spend the money for mediocre food. I try to eat healthy foods, and that is hard to stick by sometimes when eating out. I live alone, and I don't much like to go into the sit-down restaurants by myself.

Also, my choices are limited here--a McDonalds, a Sonic (gag), Subway, gas station pizza, a couple of hometown diner places where everything tastes like cigarette smoke, a good home cooking place, and a REALLY, really good BBQ place. I love the last two, but seem to save those for when I have company.

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
My boyfriend and I try to go out to eat at least 1 night out of the weekend. I do love to cook though, so sometimes I just whip something up. We eat take out for lunch on most weekends too, something simple like subway or d'angelo's. We are both pretty health concious so we try to keep ordering out to a minimum.
Jules582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
About once a week here. Not always fast food.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #15
Count us into the "rarely" category because we like the meal to be truly memorable. If I'm going to spend money on it, it darned well better be something I can't or won't produce at home. We go on special occasions usually and the occasional pizza when I'm too bagged to cook.

BT, you're pretty darned nice to your wife. In my handbook, staying home with the kiddos meant producing meals too. When they were little that sometimes meant chicken nuggets though. LOL. Thats pretty easy to do even when you have to scrape the playdoh off the table before setting it.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I prefer to cook, I enjoy the romance of it. Unfortunately, I don't get the opportunity to cook every day, either.

Usually, I'll bring something in for a friday night, or one other week night for my son and I.

I love going for a nice dinner, but it's hard to justify a 200 dollar meal when one is saving for a vacation.

I can say that between tomorrow morning and Friday evening, all meals will be eaten out. Yay for me!!
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Apart from grabbing a piece of pastry or a slice of pizza on the run while we are out and about, we very, very seldom dine out or use takeaways either. Partly because I can accomodate the time to prepare a decent, if not extravagant mind you, meal most of the time, even if not, there are always something around in the house for a short cut cooking. Probably our grocery bill is bigger than average, we are always buying some curious things to try, but since we hardly ever eat in a restaurant, it should more than even things out, and I am happy with this way. Anyway that's a good sign that Cris is happy with my cooking, he loves to eat and if he weren't happy, he would be insisting to eat elsewhere!

Having said that, I do really enjoy a good Indian fare in a good restaurant when it happens, where only the Indian chefs can get it just right....
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:23 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
thanks alix, but i should mention that dw does cook for our boy, and she always offers to make more if i should want some.

in fact, since he was so sick his first year and a half, dw is obsessed with getting him to eat well. she makes 6 or 7 things for him to eat most nights, hoping he'll eat enough of some of them. it's usually chicken nuggets, fish sticks, hot dogs, kielbasi, mac and cheese, pasta with cottage cheese or alio olio, frozen pizza, and other simple foods, but how often can you eat them, or would want to if you're not a kid. it's the same foods for lunch too, 'cause that's all he'll eat.

i guess i'm a bit of a foodie snob, preferring to go into debt ordering out from a restaurant a lot rather than just eating what she made.

i'm not one of those guys to complain, tho. she's already cooked something, so if i don't want it, i'll either cook or go get dinner for us. she doesn't complain in return, because she loves good food almost as much as me.

btw, we rarely get fast food, like wendy's or kfc. maybe only a coupla times a year. i don't consider pizza fast food, since we get it often with mussels fra diavolo, antipasti, eggplant rolatini, and other things from one of the dozens of mom and pop places around us.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:28 AM   #19
Sous Chef
im in the once a week category. breakfast and dinner are ALWAYS homemade..and lunch is usualy as well. but sometimes i dont have time to make it (the night b4) so i go accross the street to the deli and try and keep is somewhat healthy!
I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
mugsy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
I checked once a month...but thats probably a stretch...
Never ever fast food!
The older we have gotten I suppose we have become food snobs! Or is it that our taste change as we get older? Or maybe some of these "fine dining" resturants are living off their reputations... do you ever find yourself saying "they are not as good as they used to be" We live only 150 miles from New Orleans... Pre-Katrina we used to go down for a week-end here and there, and we were becoming less impressed with each visit. We have not been back Post-Katrina.

Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote