How often do you eat out/get take out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How often do you eat out/get take out?

• Total voters
Rarely and never fast food (yuk) The thought of eating out really doesn't appeal to me at all.At least at home I know who does what with my food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm, I'm really surprised at how many eat out so often! Before retiring, I'd grab something from the hotel's kitchen, and I cooked mostly simple meals that would keep for my husband to have good food to come home to. Days off, I'd cook 'good' stuff.

Now that we're retiring, I'm having fun making all the dishes I didn't have time for before. So if we go out to dinner once a month, the food industry in town is lucky...don't bother going to fast foods, unless the hot dog smells at Costco get to us as we're passing... ;)

BT, didn't mean to imply your DW was slacking, I meant that YOU are a wonderful hubby for thinking of the personal chef etc. Sorry if that didn't come across. And I hear you on the kid food thing. My youngest would eat plain noodles with "stinky cheese" for every meal if I let her. Ugh.
i guess i'm a bit of a foodie snob, preferring to go into debt ordering out from a restaurant a lot rather than just eating what she made. :pig:
I rather like this statement. In reading many of your posts, its clear that cooking is a joy for you and your recipes reflect wonderful taste. Now you just have to train that youngster of yours to follow along. So that your DW can have a gourmet meal prepped for when you get home. Danged picky kids!

I find it interesting that serveral of you have said you only want to go out for fine dining.

We enjoy that as well, but also like the treat of going to a local restaurant that offers everything from subs and pizza to Greek and Italian dishes, fish, fried chicken, etc. For about $30 (if we don't go crazy) two of us get something different from what we usually cook and a break from the routine.

I checked rarely/never. We are in a very remote area. No fast food unless you count the hotdogs cooked on the rotating hotdog cooker at the local gas station. :LOL: Mr. callie is a great cook and I'm decent enough, too. Our town is so small, we know everyone. That's not always a good thing when we realize who is cooking/prepping/serving food in the few restaurants here. :rolleyes: Does that make us snobs? :ermm:

I love to cook, but by the same token, I love going out to eat. We usually go at least once a week to our favorite resturaunt. We usually don't do fastfood type joints. When I show up to work... it is usually sushi for me since hubby is opposed to Japanese fair.

I don't consider the two in the same category. I eat out often. I live in New York, and there are so many fantastic places to try, I could never get to them all! I almost NEVER get take out -- maybe three times a year? So there is no answer in your poll for me.

I work in a typical office. Logically with my money problem I SHOULD make lunch and bring it to work.
I dont. :neutral: I work in an area that has everything! From VERRRRY good Indian to mexican to BBQ to italian and VERY good polish and there are SIX places in a 2 mile radius for sushi!!! :clap: I can write a small book on the places around where I work! Its the best place for food I can imagine. One day, great sushi. THe next, angus burger. The next all you can eat for $5 with WONDERFUL italian! Then theres the Chinese lunch for $5.... and its out of this world. Indian all you eat buffet with lamb! Pizza and hotdog joints! Burritos the size of you head for $5.
Its almost impossible for me NOT to go out every day and experience these places. But it hurts the wallet. :ermm:

For awhile we were eating out (mostly fast food) too much because of convenience (out doing something or got home late from work), but we have gone back to a lot more home cooking. James loves my cooking (okay, so do I!) and it is so much cheaper. But Sunday after church we definitely eat out most of the time. We are hungry when we get out and we do like to eat out. Often on payday we will go out (Taco Bell or other fast food if we don't have much money or a nice Mexican restaurant or other sit-down place), but not so much anymore. Lately I think I could make enchiladas 3 times a week!

:) Barbara

I'd rather cook at home, but sometimes life and work just gets in the way. In the summer when my work is the most demanding I will eat out 3-4 times a month. When I go on fire assignments I eat out everyday for two weeks!! :rolleyes: By the end of two weeks I am sick and bored with eating out.

During the winter when my work slows down, I spend more time cooking good meals at home. I really like to make soups, chili, stews, and casseroles. If I have company visiting we will go to a favorite restaurant.

When I go shopping in Reno, NV I always get Asian takeout because it is my favorite and there are not any Asian restaurants where I live. Plus by the time I shop all day, I am too tired to cook dinner.

I like eating out but we don't do it all that often. 2 roudy kids makes it difficult to really enjoy.

We eat lunch out once or twice a week. Usually something quick and kid friendly. When all of us go into town for the day, we can't just run home to eat, so we grab something. In the summer, dh likes to pack a picnic and eat it at the park.

Very very rarely do we get take out.

It varies, maybe between lunch and dinner to to three times a month, at most.

Recently an Irish pub, a decent regular Italian place (pasta and some fancier dishes), and a tapas place opened up in our area (used to be eleven years ago when we moved in, the whole town only had five or six restaurants, all boring). So we have enjoyed the occasion and have been going out a bit more.

We don't have fancy places around here, which we would like, and usually don't want to drive 50 or 60 miles for a dinner, no matter how elegant.

Those we have to save for vacation.

Fortunately we both like cooking so eating at home is not a problem.

We go out for the relaxation more than for the food, we could do most of that at home.

If you count Costco samples then weather permitting several times a week. the Demo workers are a great support group for me. Other than that only when one of my group of friends have a birthday. Trying to drop a few pounds so I usually grab something here..like tonight I had popcorn for dinner...LOL
Dove

I love to cook and I love to eat out. But the offerings are so pitiful where we live, we do not eat out hardly ever. If I eat out, I want above average food, and that is not available out here in the boonies.

No real decent place to eat out where I live. I live in a small town and the quality of most of the eating places is a bit hit and miss (more miss than hit unfortunately). So I usually only eat out or get take out if I am not at home.

Back
Top Bottom