"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: How often do you eat out/get take out?
more than once a day 1 2.00%
once a day 3 6.00%
more than once a week 14 28.00%
once a week 11 22.00%
more than once a month 8 16.00%
once a month 5 10.00%
rarely or never 10 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2006, 02:57 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

How often do you eat out/get take out?

we eat takeout an inordinate amount every week of late; every day for a week or more sometimes.

before we had our son, dw and i used to go out to a restaurant about 2 or 3 times a week for dinner, and depending on my schedule, i'd often eat lunch out.

since we've had our son, we get takeout from many of those same restaurants, actually more often than before since time is at a premium now.

while i love to cook, i love to eat good food even more. unfortunately, i'm often too busy or too exhausted to even think of cooking, and dw is usually tied up being a great mom all day. i was thinking it might be financially more feasable just to get a private chef a few times a week, but i'm not sure how that works. i'll have to look into it.

anyway, i was wondering how often you eat out or get takeout?
i would imagine that the chefs and cooks here eat in their places of business often (of which i'm sorta jealous), and people who live in more remote locations wouldn't have that option.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
Executive Chef

We usually eat out on the week ends when DH and I are out and about. About once a month, I'll order a Pizza Hut pizza, delivered for lunch.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:14 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I try and keep it to once or twice a month (I'm not counting my restaurant meals at work though!) I find take out food (and a lot of restaurant food) very salty and fatty, and unpalatable.

We've gone a bit crazy of late though, because my new fiance keeps finding new people for us to celebrate with!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Sous Chef

We're in the "rarely" category. There are only so many times I want souvlaki, and KFC/McDonalds is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Past that, while I sometimes crave the ease and the atmosphere, I'm just too critical of the food to be satisfied dining anywhere that isn't truly superb, and that's usually out of the question money-wise. The mid-range stuff just makes me sick that I've spent the money for what is always mediocre food. However, because we so seldom eat out, we can justify splurging on the occasional filet or huge, fresh prawns. Thank heavens both my husband and I find cooking after a long day in the office a nice way to unwind.

I DO miss a good breakfast/brunch out, though, and also breakfast foods available 'round the clock. If those options were available here we might be going more often!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
Executive Chef

DH prefers homecooked food so we do not dine out often except when he wants me to take a break from the kitchen and when we celebrate special occasions like namedays, birthdays, anniversary etc. Also when we entertain. I do however, have a penchant for gyros so once in a while I will patronise my favourite haunt for a takeout.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
we don`t eat out anymore since my daughter was born, but that`s only a temp thing until she`s old enough to come with us, but we still have the occasional Take-Away with Style :)

lemme explain, we live right in the middle of town, there are 4 take aways that dont involve crossing a road and 2 others that do require this, all are shouting distance away (the closest is 50 feet away).
we fone the order through AND get it delivered :)))

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
Head Chef

We usually eat out Sunday night when our housekeeper takes her day off. It happens pretty often that I get invited to join DH and his visiting colleagues for dinner at a nice place. Then DH invites me out on a dinner date about once a month. Other than that, we normally eat at home. DH prefers my homecooked food but he'll never turn down an invitation to a really good restaurant.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
Executive Chef

school feeds me at least once a day, sometimes more depending on duty. Eat out at a restaraunt, maybe once every 10 days or so.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
More than once a week for me.
I had fast food only once this week. But it's still early in the week.

Would you count ordering chicken strips during my break at work fast food?
I work at a sit down restaurant called Montanas.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Now that we are retired, and watch our funds, we rarely go out to eat. We do order pizzas 3-4 times a month. I enjoy cooking so doesn't bother me at all. I do go out on Monday's for wings, with my friends.