How often do you grocery shop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because we have so many veggies in the freezer from the garden, fresh veggies are not often purchased. We have root veggies and squash in the cold storage. Meat is purchased in bulk when it is on special, so there is always meat in the freezer. I don't drink a lot of milk...probably should drink more. I always have buttermilk in the freezer--right now, there are 4 turkeys, 30 lb of beef (steaks, roasts, cubes), 5 pork roasts, ham steaks, venison, and shrimp. I bake bread if I want bread. I tend not to eat a lot of bread. I also always have lime, lemon, grapefruit, and orange juice (freshly squeezed) in the freezer.

Last edited:
We go to several places for different things. I check the sale papers and make a list of meats and seafood on sale, decide what I will make each day, then make sure I have all the ingredients I need for those meals. I also get items that Walmart doesn't carry.

DH likes Walmart for the prices. I hate to shop there so he usually picks up produce, non-perishables, dairy products and pet needs there.

Once a month or so, I go to BJ's for items like pine nuts, roasted red peppers, capers, and specialty cheeses. I also sometimes buy a large amount pork or beef there, divide it into portions, and freeze. Right now I have packages of pork chops, pork loin roast, bone-in chicken thighs, and sliced ham in the freezer.

I shop weekly, online, for everything, fresh veg, milk , bread, meat etc. I plan what I will cook ahead of my shopping list and then shop accordingly . I only go into the supermarket if I have forgotten something, I love the convenience of an online delivery and I have been using that service for years now .

We stock up for items like bog rolls and kitchen roll at Costco every other month or so plus I usually pick up some meat , I like their meat .

Same here. For the most part, I place my order(s) online approx every 10 days. I key in my zip code, everything is pulled from a local supermarket, put on a huge truck, & delivered at my chosen date & time. Their site keeps my credit card info on file, along with past orders. I can quickly go to my entire order history, and/or browse the fresh produce, seafood, deli & bakery aisles. The drivers are courteous, & will bring the groceries into my kitchen. No tipping allowed.

Once in awhile, I may stop at the market for a rotisserie chicken, salad bar, bakery or the fresh Deli. Or, stop at an Asian market for the live fresh seafood etc. My local HUGE supermarket has been under construction for the past 6 months. I've heard they are planning on underground parking and putting a Starbucks inside. I don't drink coffee, but I can't wait to see it when it's finally completed. From the look of the construction site it will be even bigger than before.

Husband loves checking sale prices online at our only local big grocery store. He goes there to pick up those items weekly. I go to Trader Joe's weekly and we both go to Costco monthly. He's always willing to run out for anything I may need while I'm cooking. There's method to his madness as it keeps me cooking. I think I'll keep him.

We grocery shop every week and to grab new sale items that week, especially meat. For produce we go to the corner produce stand almost every other day. We never buy produce at the supermarket.....waaay to expensive.

That's interesting Roadie. Around here the produce stands are often more expensive than the market. I wonder if that has something to do with the local farmers selling to the supermarkets... maybe they aren't allowed to sell the same items cheaper.

That's interesting Roadie. Around here the produce stands are often more expensive than the market. I wonder if that has something to do with the local farmers selling to the supermarkets... maybe they aren't allowed to sell the same items cheaper.
Pac--I think it has something to do with location. Produce in the warmer states is always cheaper than it is up here. At this time of year, we do not have any fresh produce except for maybe Ontario-grown hot house tomatoes. The apples have been in storage, etc. In the summer months, the produce is cheaper in the store than at the farmer's market. Small farmers can't make any money selling broccoli at .49/head. Stores have other products that can help make up for the loss re: produce. We eat fresh in the summer, and eat frozen from the garden in the winter.

During the summers here, the farm markets are about 20-30% cheaper than the co-op where I normally shop, and just a little less expensive than the supermarket, depending on what you buy.

Well, let me clarify. I go to Asian produce markets for lowest prices. And there a a few of them around these parts. Their prices are consistently almost half of what the supermarket chains charge.
I never go to those weekly street 'farm markets' as their prices are very high and there are a few of them around here weekly.

Well, let me clarify. I go to Asian produce markets for lowest prices. And there a a few of them around these parts. Their prices are consistently almost half of what the supermarket chains charge.
I never go to those weekly street 'farm markets' as their prices are very high and there are a few of them around here weekly.

How are the Asians able to sell it cheaper? Do they import it or grow it locally?

We have a local farmers' market in the summer, but since the local farmers sell at it, it makes no difference if you buy it at their joint effort market or their individual roadside stands. And all the big stands have their own refrigeration system for storing at night, so it isn't even fresher than the supermarkets. It's a racket :blink:

Same here RF, although for me it's the Mexican grocery for my produce.
Their prices are at least half of the cost of Von's, and far less than farmers markets.

I like how Steve shops, that's what I do, look over the meat section and decide from there, only I do it almost daily! I know it sounds odd, but I save money by shopping daily and throw away less food. It also allows me to change up our meals as what we would like to have that day. Often my choices are determined by what I smell coming from the dining room at work. I had to have polish sausages the other day because my patients were having them for their dinner.

We have three major supermarket chains in this part of town. Each one's weekly specials start on a different day. The only way you are able to hit all three stores to get their specials is to shop on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Farmer's Markets here are priced really high. In Chelsea, the next town over is the big major distribution produce center for all of New England. The sellers go there to pick up what they are going to be selling at the Farmers Market. The same stuff you find at the supermarket. Whoopee! The best place to buy fresh produce is in the North End. They are selling every Thursday - Saturday. You can really get some great bargains starting around three p.m. on Saturday. There are also meat stores there and they are cutting the meat right off the side of the animal. Their prices are also low. The down side? You can hardly move for the crowd of customers. And trying to get to the pushcart you want to buy something from, is almost impossible. And the more you buy, the more heavy bags you have to carry around with you while you shop. Forget parking! You have to go there with the full intention of being as rude and nasty as you can get.

When I was in my 20's and 30's and raising my family, it was worth it to shop there. Now, not so much. :angel:

Often my choices are determined by what I smell coming from the dining room at work. I had to have polish sausages the other day because my patients were having them for their dinner.

Thats funny, I do that too.

Sometimes I will gather ideas from what my co- workers are making that week. I always go to the grocery store Friday evening but other then that it's very random. I'm not as organized as I should be. I eat healthy, my husband wants a meat and potatoes dinner (doesnt want leftovers) and my child wants whatever random thing he can think of (then usually doesn't eat it.. that is how I gained some weight to begin with.. guess who ate it) I dont quite care as much anymore about making big dinners that will go to waste so I pick up what I need and freeze what I can!

Thats funny, I do that too.

Sometimes I will gather ideas from what my co- workers are making that week. I always go to the grocery store Friday evening but other then that it's very random. I'm not as organized as I should be. I eat healthy, my husband wants a meat and potatoes dinner (doesnt want leftovers) and my child wants whatever random thing he can think of (then usually doesn't eat it.. that is how I gained some weight to begin with.. guess who ate it) I dont quite care as much anymore about making big dinners that will go to waste so I pick up what I need and freeze what I can!

Heck, if it wasn't for looking at the work menu, I'd never have an idea. I try to know BEFORE I get home. Also, I gave up worrying about what Shrek would and would not eat, I was eating garbage food, too. Now I cook what I want and if he wants it he can have it, if not, I save it for lunch or freeze it.

When it was just Buck and I, grocery shopping was done every two weeks. That was mainly because we lived so far away from a shopping area. Even though we lived in "town," the community had little more than a convenience mart, which as not at all the place to spend grocery money.

Even though Glenn and I live out in the country, we have the luxury (to me) of living a matter of minutes from a reasonably large city that has several fine grocery stores, including an especially nice Kroger.

Now I shop once a week. For such things as paper towels, toilet paper, cat food and kitty litter I go to "the big city" to Sam's once a month. I use their "clilck and pull" feature, which allows me to go online and place my order. All I have to do then is to go to my selected Sam's store, retrieve my already filled cart, go to the service desk and pay. No more lines. I'm usually out of the store in 10 minutes...no matter how busy the store is or the time of the year. Hooray!!!

The remainder of our grocery items are purchased once a week and I keep to a strict list that is maintained all during the week. When we have a garden, many of our veggies are either canned or frozen. Last year we had a terrible drought, so no canning or freezing. Although, there has been enough remaining from the prior year that purchasing many of those items commercially has been unnecessary.

I only (always have) purchase what we'll eat/like. Of the items we consume the most, I look for sales, markdowns, etc., then buy in quantity and put in the pantry or package in appropriate portions and put into the freezer. As a result, we can eat like royalty on very little expenditure.

I've never been one to use prepackaged foods so the money we'd spend on such things can be used on other goodies.

Since I make all our bread products, there's no need to spend money on those and I was amazed the other day to see what a plain old house brand loaf of white bread costs! EEKS!!!! Last week I made two loaves of plain white bread, two loaves of pumpernickel, two of bacon-and-egg bread, two roasted garlic/rosemary baguettes, a dozen English muffins, and about one and a half dozen biscuits. All that must be worth a mint!!!

There's an old world butcher not too far away and I spoil us occasionally and buy some of their nice short ribs or oxtails. Actually, their meat is competitive in price with the area grocery stores and far better because it's nicely trimmed before it's weighed.

As for shopping and meal planning, I used to plan meals a month at a time when Buck was around. He liked a variety in his menu and didn't really care for leftovers.

Glenn is totally different. If I prepare something and we have some left, he'll eat it until it's gone...even if it takes three days. That has great value to it because it means I don't have to cook for several days in a row.:) Glenn, too, likes his menu varied but it doesn't matter to him if we have a beef entree three days in a row, then pork or poultry. He's the easiest person I've ever cooked for. By now, I know his likes and dislikes and I relish making things I know he'll enjoy.

When it comes to "what's for dinner," I usually have some idea the night before or, at the latest, right after breakfast. Many times all I do is let inspiration hit and see where it takes me. I've been lucky in that there have been no colossal failures and many tasty experiences.

I much prefer shopping once a week because we can get, and keep, produce, especially lettuces. I love salads and hate reaching into the crisper drawer to find green goop instead of lettuce. Haven't had that problem in many years.

I have never liked grocery shopping and still don't but I try to make it as efficient and painless as possible. That's why I always have a list, stick to it and don't "graze" the stores. I'm definitely NOT an impulse shopper and endcap enticements are wasted on me. I get in and get out.

Because we eat mostly fresh meat and vegetables (our intolerances don't like anything preserved or prepared), I find myself shopping a couple of times a week. Thankfully we have every store I need in a few block radius of our home.

I actually like shopping this way. I plan out my menu and still shop the flyer sales, and it gets me out of the house which is a big bonus. If I am not up to driving, my neighbour helps out or DH picks it up on his way home (we have stores open to midnight thankfully). I do buy some meat in bulk and freeze it, but am finding more and more I prefer just to buy what I need.

I go to grocery shop and food market (we call bazaar) alternate day to buy fresh vegetables and fish or meat.

For foods like oil, rice, flour, sugar etc once in a month.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom