"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
How often do you grocery shop?

I go to the grocery store about once a month. I buy milk, butter, cheese and fresh fruits (at this time of year) and sometimes fresh veggies. This is probably not the norm. How often do the rest of you grocery shop?

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen
I get all of my fruits and veggies at the organic farmers market every Sunday afternoon.
I get honey there too.
I purchase meat a few times throughout the week (depending on who has organic/grass fed) and get milk once a week.

Other than that, it's just little things I need now and then, like wine, or flour/sugar

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Pantry staples I shop for once a month. For perishables, on an 'as need' basis.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Once a week. On Saturday between the hours of 0800 and 1000. Purchase limited to the specific items required for the coming weeks menu plan excluding bulk items.

Impulse buying is not allowed. We are strictly limited to items ON THE LIST. All household members can contribute to the list or make menu suggestions electronically at anytime throughout the week.

Left Right Left Right.... we are buying groceries now. Forward March. Left Right Left Right. Halt. About Face....

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Master Chef
Seems like I'm at the grocery store every week. It varies what I'm getting but bread and milk are 2 things that don't last long around my house. I try to buy meat in bulk at Sam's club but will pick up bits and pieces at the grocery. Then there are the times when I get specific meal requests and don't have all the ingredients so I'll make a run to the store. Fortunately there are several stores close by for those frequent trips.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Executive Chef
I go to a few different stores through out the week. I never really do a large order at any of them. I just pick stuff up as I go.

CW: Speaking of Groceries, I sent you a message and your mailbox is full.

My girlfriend is a restaurant manager and goes out to shop for work a couple times a week. She usually grabs us stuff when she goes. I pass a grocery store on my way home from work. I drive my teenage daughter to and from town quite often. I rarely pass a grocery store without stopping in for something.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Pretty much every day or two for something. Today it was mushrooms, so I added a couple other items. No way I can go a month without getting fresh veggies and milk at least three or four times during that month period. Fresh veggies are just too perishable IMO.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Master Chef
Whenever I feel like it. Once a week maybe sometimes more.

In the summer I do farmers market twice a week

I wish we were more European. I'd shop every day or two.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Executive Chef
I go once a month for the "big" shopping trip then about every 10 days for fresh items I will need.

I try to go alone most of the time but sometimes I need DH there for large or heavy items. And it ALWAYS costs more when he comes along LOL He sneaks things in the cart when I'm not looking and when we get home I see things that I never would have purchased. I'm thinking maybe give him $10 to spend on whatever he wants .. that would sure be cheaper in the long run .. but I do love his company when he does come along so it's all good in the end.
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I wish we were more European. I'd shop every day or two.

i wish we were russian.

then we could get it done faster...

between dw and i, i'd say we shop about 3 to 4 times a week. we each do one larger trip for staples and things we plan on cooking that week, and then maybe one smaller trip each for things we forgot or ran out of.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote