How often do you pull the oven or fridge out for a cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabagoo

Cook
Today my wife went to work and I decided to do a thorough cleaning of the main floor. When I do this I will vacuum everywhere that my wife wont (she only cleans what she sees lol)

I was using the vacuum to clean the wall corners of cobwebs and moving furniture out to get behind it.
The gas range was just awful when I pulled it out. I was shocked at what it looked like and felt somewhat disgusted. I vacuumed up what looked like 2 pounds of dust bunnies and then theres all the food that seemes to slip down the sides and the back. Absolutely gross!!!! I got a bucket out of hot water and basically cleaned everything in sight back there.... just awful.:mrgreen:

I then got motivated and pulled the big side by side fridge out and not as bad but incredible amount of dust and cat toys.

I wonder if some people ever go behinf appliances to clean?

I do it at least once a year when I clean the walls and cupboards. If I don't do that the house takes on a nasty, oily odor. I cook a lot from scratch unlike most folks around here. So folks don't seem to understand that this job just has to be done. I guess when you mostly cook packaged foods that go in the oven or in the microwave those odors don't accumulate. Either that or those folks just move a lot more often than I do!

It's good to keep busy.

I had my kitchen remodeled a couple of years ago. The floor under the two appliances were about like yours. The contractor ripped up the floor and replaced it. Imagine how angry I would have been if I had just cleaned under there!!

The stove is a built-in, but when they installed it they didn't finish the bottom. I had to close it off with a couple of 2x4's to keep the cats out. The fridge I pull out once a year...that's where all the cat toys go and my icing spatula, various skewers and a bottle brush, last time I looked.

Our stove/oven is built-in, so can't do any cleaning there. Glenn put them in and sealed everything so well (silicone, caulk, etc.) that a gnat couldn't get in there.

As for the fridge, I vacuum and clean all around it on the first of each month. No indoor pets, which makes it a little less "accumulative" than with those critters.

My stove top is built into the counter. Oven is a wall unit.

Now the fridge is another beast it's a side by side. I refuse to move it. But I'll undo the vent thingy and vacuum the coils and change the water filter. Your wife cleans like I do. If I don't see it or can reach it. It doesn't exist.. :LOL:

Munky.

I almost had a coronary when I pulled out the leather couch which sits in front of the return air for the furnace in the family room..... there was enough dust bunnies to fill a stuffed animal!!!;)

Last edited:
I almost had a coronary when I pulled out the leather couch which sits in front of the return air for the furnace in the family room..... there was enough dust bunnies to fill a stuffed animal!!!;)

I don't have dust bunnies, I have dust elephants! :ROFLMAO:

The stove is every few months (speaking of which, right after the last holiday type meal ...) . It is easy and accessible. BUT my fridge might as well be built in. There's no way I can get behind it (it would be difficult to describe, but the thing was put in 15 or 20 years ago, and until it dies, there's where it is). Ditto my washer/dryer. The latter bothers me more, because that dryer lint is a fire hazard. One thing I will say is that when I have maintenance guys/gals in and they DO have to move them, I always question them. Once you get the damned thing out, will you holler and I'll get my stuff together and clean? The answer is always, Heck, being paid by the hour. If you want me to sit for a half hour of that time, I'll take a smoke (or whatever) break. I've never cleaned behind the fridge, though, and just hate to think of it. I have a mental picture of little mouse skeletons back there (I've owned the house for 10 years, but the house is 160 years old, so .....)

I have a commercial gas range that weighs a ton and I can barely move it. I get under there about once a year and can move it out a few inches to get behind it with a vacuum. The lenoleum underneath needs a cleaning but I plan on ripping the whole thing up some day, so I rarely clean it perfectly. My fridge is a two door 5 ft wide commercial Foster. I really don't know how I am ever going to get it out when I do renovate. It is on 6 inch legs so I can get under there to sweep and wash it every few months.

Dust mastodons!!

I just pulled the washer and dryer out--a frozen pipe caused my washer to overflow, so that area is nice and clean now!!

I haven't had the stove and fridge out for a while--I got a new knee last winter and have been slacking off on moving furniture and other heavy items.

the fridge and oven gets pulled out when enough of the cats' toys have collected there.

it's like christmas to them each time. lots of furry mice, crinkly balls, and stringy things to play with for a few hours until they get tapped back under out of reach once more.

the fridge and oven gets pulled out when enough of the cats' toys have collected there.

it's like christmas to them each time. lots of furry mice, crinkly balls, and stringy things to play with for a few hours until they get tapped back under out of reach once more.

Funny, kids are the same way. They have some "new" toys to play with until they get knocked underneath again. Mostly Hot Wheels. I recently discovered that just opening the storage drawer under the oven gives me access to the floor beneath so that gets cleaned a little more frequently now than it used to. The fridge... not so much :huh:

When the fridge was delivered, it was on wheels...the delivery guys were going to remove them...I asked them if they were crazy. I was the first person to ask them to leave the wheels on. It only rolls in straight lines, but it's enough to get it out of there. And it's MY fridge, it doesn't belong to the apartment.

My fridge rolls out easily, and isn't really hard to do. I find spills under there from who knows where, I've done it twice in the year and a half I've lived here.

Still don't have a cat to hide toys yet, but I'm really thinking about it. I sure would like a kitty to keep my lap warm about now.

The stove on the other hand is on those "jacks" they are not set right and I'm not about to mess with it. The bottom drawer isn't a drawer is doesn't remove so all I can do is reach under it a few inches.

My fridge rolls out easily, and isn't really hard to do. I find spills under there from who knows where, I've done it twice in the year and a half I've lived here.

Still don't have a cat to hide toys yet, but I'm really thinking about it. I sure would like a kitty to keep my lap warm about now.

The stove on the other hand is on those "jacks" they are not set right and I'm not about to mess with it. The bottom drawer isn't a drawer is doesn't remove so all I can do is reach under it a few inches.

yes I did find 2 areas of dried wet stuff that was a bit like dried goo. Have no idea how it could get dead centre of the fridge unless it is the fridge itself leaking something gooey.

Back
Top Bottom