"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: How often do you wash your vehicle?
Once a week. 0 0%
Once a month. 7 31.82%
Once a year. 3 13.64%
When I can find the time. 7 31.82%
Who cares??? I just scrape off the dirt so the lights will shine! 5 22.73%
After it rains. 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Cars that look good never go fast. Least not round here. LOL!!!! Round here the better a car looks = there's less going on under the hood = slow car. LOL!!!

Sorry. Track mentality. LOL!!!

I kinda feel the same, but if you reall break down the physics of it all, technically, when cleaned of excess dirt and other caked on stuff, you car weighs slightly less, increasing the power to weight ratio and lessening the inertial force that needs to be over come to accellerate. And also helps with handling and braking. LOL!!!

It's sucks to be a car guy who is in to technicallities! LOL!!!!!

IMO, a clean car seems to drive better, faster.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
EDIT: I don't know what everyone's car situation is, but in the winter, it is very important to wash your car. When they put down salt and dirt to break up the snow it also gets caked on under your car, in the wheelwells and on the body. After being under there it will begin to eat away at the undercarrage/body of the car, destroying your baby and it's potential resale value. If they salt/dirt your streets and highways, I would say go at least once a month starting soon after the first salting/dirting or the roads and get the full service (whatever includes getting the underside cleaned and "coated").

Just a friendly tip on car maintance and protection from your resident car guy, Clutch!
We sprayed our car off a couple of weeks ago at the car wash during the sub-zero weather. We had to bare & grin as we had the biggest shiniest ice ride in town!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #33
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
Ok, is it me or does anyone else think their car drives faster or better when it is newly clean?
nah, if your car is dirty, it seems as if you can't get through town fast enough as everyone is gawking at you, hoping that shell doesn't crack on your car and is somehow launched at theirs. When it's clean and shiny, you whiz by too fast for anyone you care to notice... to really notice.

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Cars that look good never go fast. Least not round here. LOL!!!! Round here the better a car looks = there's less going on under the hood = slow car. LOL!!!

Sorry. Track mentality. LOL!!!

I kinda feel the same, but if you reall break down the physics of it all, technically, when cleaned of excess dirt and other caked on stuff, you car weighs slightly less, increasing the power to weight ratio and lessening the inertial force that needs to be over come to accellerate. And also helps with handling and braking. LOL!!!

It's sucks to be a car guy who is in to technicallities! LOL!!!!!

IMO, a clean car seems to drive better, faster.
Maybe when it is clean, there is less air resistance... causing the car to be more aerodynamic.... therefore it gives the impression that it is performing better???

I still can't help but think it is performing better when it is clean... like my car is happy!!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #35
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
We sprayed our car off a couple of weeks ago at the car wash during the sub-zero weather. We had to bare & grin as we had the biggest shiniest ice ride in town!
It's also nice to keep your friendly neighborhood body shop in business fixing broken locks and tantrum driven, enraged busted windows.... The other morning I was 25 cents shy of luring my kid into crawling through the trunk, through the back seat, to open the doors from the inside. Deicer does NOT assist with 2 inches of ice. why can't my front door freeze shut so I just can't get out of my house. oh yeah, they'd tell me to repel from a window.....

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
When I make the time to do it. And then it's a waste of time because it always rains right after !
Old 02-21-2007, 01:26 AM   #37
DC Grandma

Well...it's going to rain tonight....that should do it for me for now.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #38
Head Chef

Dh does ours. When it's new, he is cleaning it just about every other day, then it gradually winds down to every other week or once a month. Right now, it's pretty bad. Maybe I'll do it.

We keep the inside pristine , though.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #39
Cook

My dad instilled it in me, he washes his car all the time, I wash mine at least once a month.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
When I make the time to do it. And then it's a waste of time because it always rains right after !
+1,000,000,000,000!!!!!!!!

It does that to me every time!

I know a guy who will wait till it starts raining and go out with a sponge and some dish soap to wash his car. Good way to keep your water bill down.

I have a very icey ride the other day. We had a "snow" storm (more like freezing rain) and it covered the cars with snow and a layer of ice. As the days went on, it would warm up and than freeze. I had a set of three or four iceicles, about the width of a quarter, hanging off each one of my wheelwells. It was pretty cool looking and they would drip at stop lights. the whole trunk and hood of the car had a 3/4 inch thick sheet of ice until yesterday (temps reached 45*+).

Sattie, you have a point. I forgot about the principles of aerodynamics. I'm sure the many bird poo's on my car add up to cause quite a bit of resistance, but than again, I have never seen above 15.76 MPG so, until I fix my problems, I'll never know.