"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Executive Chef

How old is Grandma?

How old is Grandma?
(Read this to the end-- quite an eye opener.)

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.

The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandmother replied, "Well, let me think a minute,

I was born before:
penicillin
polio shots
frozen foods
Xerox
contact lenses
' Frisbees and
' the pill
There were no:
credit cards
laser beams or
ball-point pens
Man had not yet invented:
pantyhose
air conditioners
dishwashers
clothes dryers
and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandfather and I got married first, and then lived together.
Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir."
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man
With a title, "Sir."
We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CD's, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings. We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of. We had 5 &10-cent (5 and dime) stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600, but who could Afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:
"grass" was mowed,
"coke" was a cold drink,
"pot" was something your mother cooked in and
"rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
"chip" meant a piece of wood,
"hardware" was found in a hardware store and.
"software" wasn't even a word.

We were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. We volunteered to protect our precious country. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.

How old do you think I am?

Are you ready?????

This woman would be only 62 years old.
She would have been born in 1951.

GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I could relate to ALL on the list and I'm even older than Grandma. I often miss the days as described in this piece.

Once, when my daughter was quite young, she asked me if I ever wore those big dresses with the hoops that made the skirts stand out. I'm old, but not THAT old.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Master Chef

Thanks that was fun and interesting!

The credit card caught my eye, do you remember the metal charge-a-plates that department stores used to issue? They looked like army dog tags and they came in a little plastic sleeve.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Master Chef

Oh, I can relate! Katie, my little boy (at the time) wanted to to know if my mother had ever seen a dinosaur in person.

Bea, I think a world without credit cards would still be a better place. If we wanted a big ticket item, we had to save money for it. Saving is a concept nobody understand anymore.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Geez... my own paternal grandmother was born in 1897 - 116 years ago. At that time cars were a rare novelty, the airplane hadn't yet been invented, and women were still 26 years away from being able to vote. It's amazing how much our world has changed in such a short amount of time.

Oh, and yes, she is now deceased. She died in 1966.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh, I can relate! Katie, my little boy (at the time) wanted to to know if my mother had ever seen a dinosaur in person.

Bea, I think a world without credit cards would still be a better place. If we wanted a big ticket item, we had to save money for it. Saving is a concept nobody understand anymore.
I agree that saving is still the best way to go.

It used to take me so long to save up for things that by the time I had the money to buy them I no longer needed them or did not want them.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

It's interesting, but the tone is a bit judgmental, imo, and a few items are inaccurate. Xerox was founded in 1906 and Birdseye started selling frozen goods to the public in 1929.

"Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense."

Because there were no Jews, Buddhists or Muslims, I suppose. And children with mental disabilities were not consigned to neglectful facilities. I could go on.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

tHE ONLY QUESTION i HAVE IS fm RADIO. iT WAS ALREADY INVENTED IN 40'S.

Oops, sorry about that.

But this, this is prisless: "Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
"
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Executive Chef

yeah well, the dishwasher was invented by a woman in the 1800's and the clothes dryer was invented in the 1930's..
Old 05-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Well I see this ruffled a few feathers.

It was not meant to do that at all.

I did not purposely put this up here to challenge people and their personal beliefs.

It was meant simply to show how far things have come in such a short amount of time.

I did not write it, I simply ran across it in my travels and thought it was a good piece.

Perhaps there are some errors in it and apparently I should have checked the validity of the statements made in that piece before posting.

I'm sorry now that I posted it and it wasn't taken in the spirit intended.

It will be gone soon.