How old is this DR Pepper bottle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gretchen said:
We have power lakes here that were formed in the 60's. It is unlikely that a bottle older than that would be at the bottom of the lake. Just as my clue about whether it is turning purple due to manganese content of glass prior to about 1923.
There are just a lot of man-made lakes in this country.

It is unlikely, but not impossible. If there was a homestead in the valley over 100 years ago, there is probably a trash dump somewhere, as well as a privy. Bottles would be tossed into each of those. When the river was impounded, and the lake formed, those sites would have been inundated.

ChefJune said:
somehow I don't think so. I don't remember any Dr. Pepper bottles shaped like that in MY lifetime...

Dr Pepper used to be my favorite soft drink (back when I could drink them)... and I date back before 1966. :cool:

The following is a reply of an email I made to the Dr Pepper museum in Dublin, Texas. I sent her a link of the page that I put on here of the bottles from the 1960's.

I looked at the website and all the bottles pictured are from the 1960's. I would have to see the actual bottle to get the exact year from it. Hope I answered your question.
Thanks,
Amanda
Dublin Dr Pepper

Gretchen, the lake was built in 1958 and was completed, 1960.

Last edited:
VeraBlue said:
Cool, Allen, very cool!

I'm not a fan of lake swimming. I love the ocean, but I have trouble with lakes because the water is confined. I get creeped out knowing there are living things in a confined space with me:ohmy:. Knowing about your cardboard doesn't help, either.

Then you oughta see Lake Superior! I gauruntee you won't feel confined in that lake.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

AllenMI said:
It is unlikely, but not impossible. If there was a homestead in the valley over 100 years ago, there is probably a trash dump somewhere, as well as a privy. Bottles would be tossed into each of those. When the river was impounded, and the lake formed, those sites would have been inundated.

Of course, not impossible. Our sons were beer can/bottle collectors back in the 70's and delighted when they found old dump sites. BUT, if the lake is not real old--and it apparently isn't real deep where the bottle was found (dry because of a drought--which we experienced a couple of years ago) it is much less likely to be the scenario.

If Dr. Pepper originated in 1878 or so, it is more likely that this bottle was a commemorative of the 100th anniversary and maybe dropped then. Mind you, I would be THRILLED for me or anyone to find the real deal under circumstances like that. But I also hate it when dealers try to pass something off as old when I know full well it ain't--as someone else pointed out, how the bottle is constructed.

Back
Top Bottom