"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would guess I was around 7 (too logical), my parents got me into the conspiracy and it took my sisters (more gullible) a couple years longer to find out. All three of us were included when my brother came along. He was 7 years younger than the youngest of us girls. We were able to keep him going until he was 10.

And of course there was a Santa, he brought my Daddy home from Okinawa just in time for Christmas. I was 5.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

My son was 3 the first time he questioned Santa. An uncle, who we thought he didn't know very well dressed up as Santa and delivered a bag of toys for the cousins. Jr recognized his voice even if the beard and all confused him. I don't remember when next it was an issue, but there was not alot of crying and disappointment. There is a time when Kids all take everything too literally. We just stepped over that one and Santa Still fills the stockings sometime overnight on Christmas Eve.

I think it's time to pull out a copy of Miracle on 34th Street.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #13
Contest Winner

Anna was about 10, but as to the Answer: I know Santa well he is my Twin Brother , I take over for him when he isn't feeling well. You met me, you know it must be true, have I ever steered you wrong

Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

When Nancy was in 2nd grade the other kids told her that Santa is your parents, and she said that she knew Santa was real because her mom couldn't afford nice presents. The others all said, "Oooooooh!"

Nancy asked a couple times if Santa was real. My response was always, "What do you think?" The first time she said she thought he was real. The summer between 4th and 5th grade she asked me, and when I asked, "What do you think?" she said she thought it was really me and my mom and dad. I told her the whole truth then. That Christmas was our worst ever. She was SO Bah-Humbug! The following Christmas she got back into the true spirit of Christmas though.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
Executive Chef

i had this history teacher one year, a humorless, exacting sort, who told us one day that his three year-old son already knew there was no santa claus. he explained that telling his son the truth about life, as soon as he was able to understand it, was only the right and sensible thing for him to do as a parent. bah, humbug!!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i had this history teacher one year, a humorless, exacting sort, who told us one day that his three year-old son already knew there was no santa claus. he explained that telling his son the truth about life, as soon as he was able to understand it, was only the right and sensible thing for him to do as a parent. bah, humbug!!
That is okay for his kid, not good for other's kids. How unfair, even as logical and exacting I was as a child, I was still able to fantasize and believe. Life has flavor!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That is okay for his kid, not good for other's kids. How unfair, even as logical and exacting I was as a child, I was still able to fantasize and believe. Life has flavor!
i'll bet you were the "good" kind of exacting as a child, pf....
Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i'll bet you were the "good" kind of exacting as a child, pf....
Drove my parents nuts...I didn't act like a kid my age. Long stories about them and me raising each other.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

That was funny, AB.

I can't help you in the kid department, Tom, but I clearly remember being the only kid in first grade who knew there wasn't a Santa. And I know no one in second grade still believed in him, not in my school... maybe because of me, lol.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
Master Chef

I know that I never believed in Santa, not through any doings on my parents' part, just didn't. They did all they could to get me to believe, but finally just took me aside and told me on no uncertain terms that I was not to ruin it for my siblings (I was the oldest), cousins, friends. That Santa was a spirit of good in all of us. As far as I remember, I never let anyone in on my secret and enjoyed the whole charade.

Tags
kids