How to anchor to a stone wall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I have a problem... just another one to add to my list, heh! :rolleyes:

But someone here must be versed in the logistics I need to know. :angel:

I purchased a gun safe for hand guns. But, awk! I have no where to attach the darn thing! My house is 200 years old, the logs, needless to say, although solid are not in a position to place a safe. It is very "open concept living" LOL. Can't have someone walk in and stare straight at a safe.

To put it in a closet upstairs (all under the eaves) would require I get on my hands and knees to unlock and access. Not ideal with my bad back.

So to the basement we go. Stone walls - again all exposed to view for anyone down there, but at least I could put a set of shelves in front of it that could easily be moved.

Obviously the anchors need to be into the rock not the cement mortar around it but how deep/long do the anchors have to be to prevent ripping out and or carry the weight? I'm not required to keep my ammo there, just the guns.

The basement is still not ideal as it is damp, but they have gizmos to keep them dry inside.

Is there a closet on the main floor where you could put it? Maybe give up a cabinet in the kitchen?

If not, I would find someone (in my case, DH ;) ) to build something that looks like a side table and put it next to the couch in the living room.

The only thing I know of to anchor to a stone wall is metal bolt shields for stone. Search this phrase in Google and you'll see your options.

Others may have a better option.

Excellent suggestions GG and I thank you. Don't have any closets downstairs - at all! With my other passion being cooking... LOL cupboards are at a premium! I already stashed some things in the basement.

I looked at building a cupboard, the only two places available are right beside either the front door or the back door. The front door is not acceptable, the backdoor, eh, maybe. But I was trying not to go to the expense of re-no's. Materials I could handle but labour, whoosh! and my ex, well, he can rough frame a house but a cabinet or side table, ummm no, I think not. besides as well as we get along he would charge me the same as an experienced guy, and his time frame would be unacceptable! LOL.

I'm also prepping the farm for sale, so even though I know it will take at least 3 years to sell... I'm not willing to dump too much into improvements or re-no's other than what is absolutely necessary.

Thinking. Is there a way to bolt the cabinet to the floor, like, say, under a bed or even under a tablecloth? It would lie flat rather than being upright. That way you wouldn't need to use stone bolts.

Thanks Andy... did so.. woof! That's a lot of reading! Looks like a trip to Reno Depot or Home Hardware and a little chat with the guys in the hardware departments.

Nice idea Dawg! keep up the good thinking!

Unfortunately it won't fit under my bed, nor the guest room bed - both on very short legs. And I certainly would not put it in the room the grand kids sleep in ... just on principle - but in any case, it would not fit under their beds either.

Guess I should have mentioned - it is only for hand guns, not long rifles/shotguns. The case is approx. 2' tall, 2' wide and about 1.5' deep. Don't have the exact measures handy.. it is just sitting in the basement on my work table, smiling and waving at all of us. :glare:

More thinking. (Yeah, I know, that's dangerous). Disguise rather than hanging. Build a wooden frame/cabinet with door to fit around it, then you can use it as a nightstand by your own bed or put it in the basement as planned. I assume the cabinet has a locking door?

Last edited:
I own guns and my neighbors call my garage the neighborhood Home Depot.

Are you going for an installation that can not possibly be breached, which is impossible, or like I have done, something that will slow a burglar down too much to take the risk of getting caught?

I have a safe on the second floor. It is not bolted to anything, but is is seriously heavy. It would take at least two very strong men to get it out of my house. And, the whole thing would be recorded by the hidden video cameras. I like me some high tech security.

They would also have to deal with psycho-poodle... okay, that wouldn't be much of a deterrent. :rolleyes::LOL:

If you want to bolt it to the rocks, you will need a hammer drill and a masonry bit -- and a lot of patience. After that, you can use an anchor and lag bolt. Here is a dull, but good explanation of what to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yda9XIGH9Uk

Drilling into rock will take a lot more time, which is why I said you will need patience. I use my shop vac to get the hole clean of dust from drilling.

CD

Last edited:
If the safe is small enough to be disguised as an end table I would get a round of 3/4 inch plywood slightly larger than the top of the safe and cover it with a floor length table skirt.

You could also put it in the basement with a cardboard box, bottom removed, over it and then stack a couple of other items over and around it.

Hide it in plain sight! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck!

Last edited:
Wrap the handguns up in a towel and hand them through the window to a neighbor until you need them.

That's what we always do.

It's not bedrock (wish it was) it is field stone.

Because I really don't like the basement idea, thinking I will just buy a cheap free standing cupboard, anchor that to an outside wall in the den, then anchor the safe through the cupboard and into the wall. Just have to be "exactly sure" where the studs are. (den is not part of the original house.)

Or have another corner with a small table holding my printer, etc. I could, as suggested get another "end table' able to hold the safe. Plus rather than the wall, think I would anchor it into the floor.

Thanks guys, the wheels are turning a little better now. Keep those ideas coming.

(and no bucky, I'm not going to pass them thru the window! Lol)

I say have a big, covered bowl of peanuts and bury one gun in them. You might be able to hide a second one in the microwave. Maybe one in the pantry in a reinforced cereal box from Corn Pops? Oh, and the smallest handgun could go in a fake head of lettuce in the veggie crisper drawer.

You did say to keep the ideas coming. You didn't say they had to be good. :mrgreen:

LOL CG! Love the peanut idea. Can just see at the club when I take aim and a peanut falls out... I like the idea of being frugal but I think the others would be bug eyed at how cheap a person could get!!! hmmm.. maybe jealous at the cheap ammo - after all if you miss you can hide it by eating it!

Last edited:
oh my... it worked, twice! and I don't know how I did it. but I'm afraid to try and edit the second one for fear I'll screw up the whole works .

so enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom