"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 PM   #41
Executive Chef
Gee BT, I knew your cat was not well but I didn't realise just how bad things were. I am so sorry to read this thread and am eating thru the tissues as I do. Sorry also that I didn't log on sooner to read this. I hope you get to be with her when she goes. Heartfelt sympathies to you and yours.

The only time I have had to explain death to a toddler was when I was about 20 and my neighbour's kid was with me when I had to bury a dead dove that one of my cats had caught. I was just straight with him and he understood it, or at least seemed to. A couple of months later, he and his family relocated to the other side of the country and made it a camping trip by car. His parents couldn't understand why each time they dug a latrine he would ask about digging up doves!

What I have experienced and is possibly true for your son as well, is the thought of the absence is worse than the concept of death itself. So my limited advice to you would be to deal with it as two different subjects.

Hope she goes peacefully with you.

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire
just a quick update: after speaking to a few vets, we decided to begin to give doodie sub-cutaneous fluids to help her be a little more comfortable in her final days. that wasn't fun. i hate needles, and hope to never have to stab anyone or anything ever again.

she lasted a week, but by saturday afternoon we saw that she was no longer able to absorb the fluids. the sign we dreaded.

so dw spent saturday night with her, and i sat with her today, holding her for hours through a couple of seizures before i finally had to take her to have her put down.

she slipped away about 6 o'clock tonight, just after the first sedative was introduced. the vet agreed that from my descriptions, she was unaware of what was happening and would not have lived much longer. we had intervened just in time to spare her the painful end.

tomorrow, i have to explain this to my boy. i am truely grateful for all of your words and advice, and thank you all for your support.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Sorry to hear it was such a bad weekend Tom, I hope your little guy wont take it too hard for too long.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 AM   #44
Master Chef
Oh BT, I'm so sorry!!
I'm am sure that had you and your wife not been there for her, she would not have gone so peacefully. You gave her a loving home to grow in and you should feel good about that. Your boy will rebound. Young ones always do. Bless you!!
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #45
Chief Eating Officer
I am so sorry Bucky!!!
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Oh bucky - I'm all choked up. Just have a good cry with him and make him feel as secure as you can. Hugs to DW too.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef
Sorry to hear of your loss, BT. Our thoughts are with you guys.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'm sorry Bucky.... it's so sad.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #49
Executive Chef
I'm so sorry for your loss, bt. It sounds like her last few days were bittersweet. I'm glad ya'll knew when it was time to let her go so you were able to spare her any suffering, but I know how hard it must have been for both of you. I hope your son isn't too heartbroken and that you're all able to get past the sadness soon so that you can remember all the wonderful times you had with your dear old girl. Hugs to all 3 of you.
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #50
Master Chef
buckytom: Please give your little guy a hug from all of us here at DC and tell him how sorry we all are.

Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote