"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Dina, St. John's Wort is like nature's Prozac! OK, really it's just a nice, calming herb and works great when you're under stress. But please note - if you are also taking an oral contraceptive - it can negate it's contraceptive properties just like antibiotics can. (Can you guess how I know this?)

Old 04-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #32
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
As others have said, I think desire and passion are two different things. I lose my desire to cook all the time, particularly the later it gets. I have lost my passion, though that is far more rare to occur.

I'm kind of on a high as of recent because I met a colleague that is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Twin Cities. He and I get talking about food and recipes and it's all over. The spark is ignited and the creative juices flowing. He talks about throwing down on his off days with a leg of lamb and a bunch of fresh herbs, or an event he is "catering" coming up. We'll talk about the quality of meat available at different vendors, the personalities on FN, and a host of other things. That is what rekindles my passion, almost on a daily basis (usually at least twice a week depending on scheduling).

Old 04-20-2008, 11:44 PM   #33
Master Chef

My desire to cook or inspiration is always renewed when I watch FN's Diner's Drive-In's, and Dive's, Iron Chef, or this other show I came across Kylie Kwong, they all give me whatever it is to want to cook. But I know where you are coming from Dina, I go through those spells where my cooking just does not come out right. (And this happens when I'm cooking for folks other than my DH.)

The other night, I over-cooked a T-bone. This bummed me out to no end!!! I hate mucking up a good steak!

Anyhow, I do hope you find the fire that will help you to make awesome food!
Old 04-21-2008, 02:51 AM   #34
Master Chef

mine gets a real boost when I invite friends over and cook for them
Old 04-21-2008, 04:12 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Fisher's mom, How are the kids?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Fisher's mom, How are the kids?
They are wonderful, quicksilver - all seven of them!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Geez,no wondered you feel un-inspired. More expired!
God bless ya!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Geez,no wondered you feel un-inspired. More expired!
God bless ya!
Thanks, quicksilver! Luckily, they are spread out over a 29 year period so I've had some breathing room. But it does make for a lot of repetitive and boring chores that I must do day after day. Sometimes it's very hard to work up any real enthusiasm for cooking, etc. I know Dina has a 5 year old too so my heart really goes out to her. It's just another thing to live through.

At least when I'm feeling uninspired, at least the kids are very entertaining.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
yeah, entertaining. stick with that. :)
Old 04-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Dina, St. John's Wort is like nature's Prozac! OK, really it's just a nice, calming herb and works great when you're under stress. But please note - if you are also taking an oral contraceptive - it can negate it's contraceptive properties just like antibiotics can. (Can you guess how I know this?)
No oral contraceptives here thankfully. Those things will ... well that's another story.
I've managed to cook something this week. Sunday was store bought chicken parmesan. I only cooked the whole wheat spaghetti and tossed it with some Prego sauce. I was totally cheating but don't care. LOL My daughter helped make dessert; some Krusteaz cream cheese lemon bars. Monday was peppered flank steak with broccoli and Chinese egg noodles with a garlic, ginger soy sauce tossed with carrots, peppers and onions. It was okay for me; my kids ate it all though so I guess that was a good thing. Tonight, I'm making the usual enchiladas with a side salad. Friday is just around the corner so I won't have to cook dinner. Woohoo!