"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
How to get my cooking passion back?

I'm going through something really big lately. I have totally lost my interest in cooking. No matter how hard I try to organize my recipes, my food doesn't come out right like it used to. My family doesn't compliment me anymore surely because I'm not putting any effort in it. It becomes a tedious job to cook and clean up. Could it be that I'm just fed up with cleaning up that I'm getting burned out? Has anyone experienced this before and if so, how did you make it better? I'm hoping this is just a phase I'm going through. I want to get passionate about cooking again (which is something I feel was my biggest strength) so my family and I can enjoy our meals again.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds normal to me Miss Dina...We all get in a rut sometimes...Maybe a change in cuisine...find one that interest you...read about it...study it....buy a cook book maybe...Make a couple of dishes per week....sometimes that will spark your interest...
Or go ahead and buy the new pot, pan, skillet ya been wanting....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Maybe your soul is telling you that you need some other creative outlets, too? Also, spring is calling here in Texas. Perhaps if you could get away for a week or so to recharge, you might return with a renewed passion for the day-to-day. This has happened to me with different things from time to time and it's very disconcerting.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Along with the excellent advice above I will just add to not stress about it. You might be working yourself up so much that it is just becoming stressful instead of relieving stress. Go into it with the idea that if the meal stinks well who cares. I bet once you relax a little bit you will get your mojo back.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Head Chef

Perhaps it is time to get your family to share in the cleaning chores.
Good food is a great incentive to wash dishes!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Think we all go through this, at least I do - just got to wait it out - bummer huh. You'll get it back hon, hang in there !!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Everymom

Dina, oh how I understand your plight! We all go thru it. One day you will just see a recipe or something and BAM it will be back. Til then, grab the easiest recipes in your repertoire and sit pretty girl. You don't need compliments every night to know you are an amazing cook. Let them eat hamburger for a week and when you make chicken they will stand up and cheer! LOL.

Seriously though, I find if I'm in a rut, I pull out a couple of my old favorite cookbooks and start to leaf through to find a recipe we love that I haven't made in a while. Usually it works. I also break out my Menu List and make everyone fill in a couple of days worth of ideas. That way I don't need to THINK about the food, just prepare it. After a little while, I'm feeling creative in there again!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
Master Chef

You're just burnt out. It happens to all of us.
Take it easy and stick with easy meals for a while, and as suggested above, do something different for a while.

Is it spring where you are? If so, get outside and do something. Work in the yard or plant a pot of flowers. Let the house go. It'll be there tomorrow, and if the mess bothers the family, let them do something about it. Feeling the sun on the back of your neck can do wonders.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Good advice so far. I've been there already. Some clean and easy recipes will get those taste receptors back in check. Something simple but flavorful like this. Try to use fresh ingredients with minimal fats.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

This has happened to me more than once. I lose interest in cooking and have no ambition to cook dinner.

I can't tell you how to beat it, I just have to ride it out when it happens. Watch some food shows. Something will hit you and you'll be back.

Passion for cooking doesn't go away all that easily.