How to get my cooking passion back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I'm going through something really big lately. I have totally lost my interest in cooking. No matter how hard I try to organize my recipes, my food doesn't come out right like it used to. My family doesn't compliment me anymore surely because I'm not putting any effort in it. It becomes a tedious job to cook and clean up. Could it be that I'm just fed up with cleaning up that I'm getting burned out? Has anyone experienced this before and if so, how did you make it better? I'm hoping this is just a phase I'm going through. I want to get passionate about cooking again (which is something I feel was my biggest strength) so my family and I can enjoy our meals again.:(

Sounds normal to me Miss Dina...We all get in a rut sometimes...Maybe a change in cuisine...find one that interest you...read about it...study it....buy a cook book maybe...Make a couple of dishes per week....sometimes that will spark your interest...
Or go ahead and buy the new pot, pan, skillet ya been wanting....;)

Maybe your soul is telling you that you need some other creative outlets, too? Also, spring is calling here in Texas. Perhaps if you could get away for a week or so to recharge, you might return with a renewed passion for the day-to-day. This has happened to me with different things from time to time and it's very disconcerting.

Along with the excellent advice above I will just add to not stress about it. You might be working yourself up so much that it is just becoming stressful instead of relieving stress. Go into it with the idea that if the meal stinks well who cares. I bet once you relax a little bit you will get your mojo back.

Perhaps it is time to get your family to share in the cleaning chores.
Good food is a great incentive to wash dishes!!!

Think we all go through this, at least I do - just got to wait it out - bummer huh. You'll get it back hon, hang in there !!

Dina, oh how I understand your plight! We all go thru it. One day you will just see a recipe or something and BAM it will be back. Til then, grab the easiest recipes in your repertoire and sit pretty girl. You don't need compliments every night to know you are an amazing cook. Let them eat hamburger for a week and when you make chicken they will stand up and cheer! LOL.

Seriously though, I find if I'm in a rut, I pull out a couple of my old favorite cookbooks and start to leaf through to find a recipe we love that I haven't made in a while. Usually it works. I also break out my Menu List and make everyone fill in a couple of days worth of ideas. That way I don't need to THINK about the food, just prepare it. After a little while, I'm feeling creative in there again!

You're just burnt out. It happens to all of us.
Take it easy and stick with easy meals for a while, and as suggested above, do something different for a while.

Is it spring where you are? If so, get outside and do something. Work in the yard or plant a pot of flowers. Let the house go. It'll be there tomorrow, and if the mess bothers the family, let them do something about it. Feeling the sun on the back of your neck can do wonders.

This has happened to me more than once. I lose interest in cooking and have no ambition to cook dinner.

I can't tell you how to beat it, I just have to ride it out when it happens. Watch some food shows. Something will hit you and you'll be back.

Passion for cooking doesn't go away all that easily.

You've gotten some wonderful advice..I've been there and it's rough to have to rack your brain, to decide what to feed you gang, then shop for it,then clean up while the other go enjoy the rest of their day.. STOP.....
Now is the time to do something different because..sounds like your family is so use to your wonderful meals, they are taking you for granted..Ever thought of putting the ingredients out and letting them make dinner for you? Bet,after several days of this, things will change..I've seen some of your recipes and feel it would be a shame to see you give in to this..If you need a break, hows about some wonderful sandwiches and light cool or hot soups, a great big meat or chicken salad and involve the kids who can in making it...have some nice warm bread or muffins with that salad, but let them know you expect someone who hasn't helped with dinner to clean up and YOU go take a stroll, go to a movie, sit in the backyard and read..Just take it easy...You arefar to good a cook to get down on yourself..And, I'd leave a note or sit the family down and let them know a well place hug and kiss or just a thanks mom or honey would really mean a lot..or else they need to HIRE a cook:LOL:
kadesma

I'm going through something really big lately. I have totally lost my interest in cooking. No matter how hard I try to organize my recipes, my food doesn't come out right like it used to. My family doesn't compliment me anymore surely because I'm not putting any effort in it. It becomes a tedious job to cook and clean up. Could it be that I'm just fed up with cleaning up that I'm getting burned out? Has anyone experienced this before and if so, how did you make it better? I'm hoping this is just a phase I'm going through. I want to get passionate about cooking again (which is something I feel was my biggest strength) so my family and I can enjoy our meals again.:(

Yep, your fed up with the cleaning! I hear you dear girl. I think the only thing that could possibly help is to include your family in cooking and cleaning because mom needs a break!;)

It's just the cooking "doldrums" and, as others have said, we're all there at one time or another. One thing I suggest is not to get too wrapped up in being there. Just ride it out and things will change. You might also be suffering case of "spring fever." It can getcha!

Hang in there. There are better days ahead and you'll get your game back on again.

it will pass one day when u are not looking or thinking about it. there u will be cooking up a storm.happens to me , cause i only cook for myself and sometimes worry why i bother. lol

babe:neutral::neutral:

I like to look at menus and go and eat something different and then look at more menus! More inspiring than cookbooks I find as you get to see a chef's creation and use his/her inspiration which is often missing in cookbooks.

But it happens to me with regularity!

Food has been my lively hood for more years than I want to think about and I have found my self getting in a rut and my desire to cook just fades away. That is when I go eat some body else's cooking read a new cook book, talk to my fellow chef's and then I find inspiration to get back to the stove and whale away.. It won't last so take it easy on your self, we all live in cycles yours will come back. Like some one said let them all eat hamburger for a week or two

I'd say you're burned out and that seems to be the consense. Why is it it falls on one shoulder - yours? I say, 1) have a family cooking night. Have each one - no matter what age, participate. 2) Or pick one family member one night a week to make the menu decisions - even if it's dessert 1st, and you help them with the prep and they stick around for the clean up. 3) Or have a quick and easy sup for the kids on a saturday night; mac and cheese and salad, or, better yet - ship them out, and have a simple meal - steak and baked potato and salad in the diningroom (with candles and cloth napkins) and carry the conversation through to the kitchen for clean up. Let him do the steaks on the grill while you do the other.

Whatever, good luck (you might suggest they all do a meal minus the mom one night a week or month - let them have fun and cleanup and take care of you. Thanks, mom night)

quicksilver

I almost forgot... go buy yourself a very small book called
"I've Got to Talk to Somebody God" by Marjorie Holmes.
Its her everyday thoughts about everyday life. I bought
mine in 1970 for $1.25, but it has been priceless!
quicksilver

I don't cook for a family, so I'll leave that part of the equation to the experts.

As for getting your passion back, I like find a free Saturday or Sunday, do a little shopping and prep work the night before, and then cook my butt off all day long. Try to find something that takes a long time and that you know you're good at. I challenge myself to make it better than I've ever made it before. The challenge of trying to best myself is usually enough to get me back in the swing of things.

At some point, I think cooking can become too mechanical and mundane, and we start treating it like a chore; mindless work that we dont really need to think about when we do it because we already know how. I think that however you do it, the goal is to get your mind back in it, and back thinking about the right way to do things. Is this the proper heat for a great sear, am I seasoning enough, should I leave that chicken in the oven a minute longer or let carry-over finish the work? You'll start remembering the 'right way' to do things instead of simply doing things just to get them done.

Don't worry, however you decide to get back in it, it will happen sooner or later. I don't know if this applies to anyone else, but it's usually immediately following a slump that I get the most inspired to cook some amazing food.

how about going out to eat in different restaurants (as you can afford, of course), and trying new dishes that you might have not in the past.

that always seems to get me into the mood to cook; to try to create or re-create dishes in those themes at home.

Back
Top Bottom