"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Things that impress women the most
Guy playing with children 15 42.86%
Guys that cook 20 57.14%
Guys that play guitar 5 14.29%
Guys that like animals 16 45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #31
Senior Cook

What impressed me about DH was that he acted the same way whether he was with me, his friends, my parents or his colleagues.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post

You don't get a lot of dates, do you.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Come to think of, No I dont. How did you know?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #34
Master Chef

For me, it's definitely "guys that like animals". First & most importantly, I've always lived with a zoo of critters around me, so a guy who doesn't like animals would never make it with me. Secondly, I'm not a child-lover. Thirdly, music is a really personal thing, so being serenaded by guitar would probably make my eyes glaze over. Fourthly, since I LOVE to cook, all I'd need would be a guy who LOVED to eat - lol!!!

So the animal thing would be the only point that would really be important to me - & luckily I found it!!! :)
Old 09-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Musician = poor. Unless you are Eric Clapton, possessing both his skill and bank account, playing guitar isn't likely to impress. I like a guy who cooks. At least with someone who cooks, you know he'll be of help.
ROFL - I will have to respectfully disagree. We're not talking about a career in music here, the guy just plays the guitar. It impresses me because you have taken the time to learn something and are good at it. And then again, maybe I'm just easily impressed

LT - there's nothing wrong with playing the guitar. My BIL sits around in the evening and plays his guitar and it's nice to listen to. He doesn't expect you to sit right there with him - he plays because he enjoys it. We can carry on about what we are doing. He is our background music.

OK - you could PM me these if you want...what are the things you do that other people say girls hate?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #36
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
All of the above and add in.... looking me in the eyes when I'm talking.
you said a mouthful, pds! You'd have to be really, really good at guitar to impress me with that. Not so much with the cooking. Mine washes the dishes. Now THAT is impressive, imho!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #37
Executive Chef

well, I'm a dancer, so I would suggest you take dancing lessons! It is darn hard to find a decent male dancer. And dance classes usually have more females than male learners.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #38
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Wow, there is a lot of advice here! I agree with a lot of it. Some, not so much.

The most important thing is to be yourself. If cooking, or guitar playing, or whatever is what you like to do, then do it. On the other hand, trying something that you know she likes, even if you are a bumbling idiot when you try, can be appealing to some women, as they see that you are trying to impress them.

Just seeing a guy play with kids (or animals) wouldn't do it for me unless I saw that it was something that came from his heart (not just as a ploy to trap a woman).

Having similar interests is always good, but don't worry if you don't like everything she likes and she likes everything you like. You don't necessarily have to have all the same interests, but you should have some, and you do have to support her in her interests (and she needs to support yours).

Someone mentioned not letting her help out. That would be true for some women but not true for others (some have a real calling to be helpful).

In other words, as you were already told, all women are different and all men are different. You sort what you can out before marriage, then you spend the rest of your life together trying to figure each other out. That's actually part of what keeps a marriage young and vibrant!

And remember Matt, love comes at the most interesting times, and usually when you are not expecting it. Relax, and remember that His timing is perfect.

Barbara
Old 09-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #39
Master Chef

iu luv a guy who can handle kiddos. sooooo adorable!!! my buddy is madly in love with jake- she says he's so cute, & she almost swooned when he kept her baby from trying out a flight of stairs. her daughter loves jake cause he brought her a container of cake mix cookies. he's great with tots; his Mom had a baby when he was 23 so he's familiar with babies.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Mine washes the dishes. Now THAT is impressive, imho!

mine, too!!! he cleans & we cook together, too. he's a catch!!!