How to keep expensive...........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocco2010

Assistant Cook
Parmeggiano Reggiano in the refrigerator? Last time I've spent $8.00 for a small fraction of it and it collected mold inside a plastic container.
Your help is very much appreciated,rocco.:yum:

Parmeggiano Reggiano in the refrigerator? Last time I've spent $8.00 for a small fraction of it and it collected mold inside a plastic container.
Your help is very much appreciated,rocco.:yum:

We buy a quarter wheel, divide it up and vacuum seal it. It keeps in the fridge until we use it up. We also keep the rinds to add to soup or sauce. We call them parmesan "bones".

I just keep it loosely in a plastic bag. You are better off letting a bit of air get at it so it won't rot...Air tight container will just trap in the moisture so you will get mold..

Are you referring to short term storage or long term? When we buy a quarter wheel it comes vacuum sealed. After we portion it and vacuum seal it lasts for months with absolutely no mold or spoilage. When we open a package for use, it is kept in a loose fitting plastic bag and it is usually used within a month.

Interesting. I've kept it for months in the fridge in a plastic bag.

I do this. Rarely keep it for more than a couple of weeks, but then I don't buy in large quantities either. I've had it in the fridge in a Zip Lock bag for well over a month at times with no mold issues.

Now, a block of cheddar can start to mold in a week once it's out of the supermarket packaging, but parmesan seems to be much more durable.

I do this. Rarely keep it for more than a couple of weeks, but then I don't buy in large quantities either. I've had it in the fridge in a Zip Lock bag for well over a month at times with no mold issues.

Now, a block of cheddar can start to mold in a week once it's out of the supermarket packaging, but parmesan seems to be much more durable.
Occasionally when I find it at a really good price, I buy a few pounds. It's an aged cheese, so if it's held at the right temperature and humidity, it should just keep aging indefinitely. It can be frozen, too.

I cut mine up and keep just a bit at a time in a ziplock bag. The other pieces get vacuum sealed with the Foodsaver.

Since it is not something I use everyday, the non vacuum sealed cheese does sometimes grow a little bit of a green coat. I just slice that off and use it.

CD

I read somewhere, (maybe here) if you don't touch your cheese with bare hands, it won't go moldy so quickly. Since we've become aware of that, it seems to be true.

We keep most cheese frozen until ready for use within a week or two.

When you make cheese or handle cheese (as I'm learning) you wash your hands with vinegar to make sure there are no live mold spores on them (even from the air).

Back
Top Bottom