How to keep your cat off your computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And it cost $20 (or $19.99 for you tech folks). I think it might only work if your cat lays on the keyboard and nibbles on the mouse. But in that case you will never know, will you? :ohmy:

Our cat doesn't care about the keyboards but she loves to chew wires! We've had her teeth checked and there's nothing wrong there but she's destroyed 3 power supplies so far and nearly every cord in the house has her teeth marks on it! I keep telling her if she doesn't stop she's gonna look like she got a permanent wave but she doesn't listen! Cats!

Still she is the Queen of the House (though the poodle occasionally challenges her royalty!) and we adore her - we've tried the bad tasting stuff and everything else we can think of - nothing stops her.

Suggestions welcome!

lindatooo said:
nothing stops her.

And nothing ever will. :(

Like an animal whistle, she can hear the noise in the electrical cords and it is driving her nuts. She will probably attack a cord that is unplugged as well just because she identifies it as being a source of the noise.

Some people find TV annoying because the laughter sound is technically engineered.

I work for a company that sells and supports software for Veterinarians. A very large majority of Veterinary clinics have a "Clinic Cat" who lives at the clinic full time.

I can tell you in the 10 years I have worked there, that it is not common at all for a clinic cat to do some sort of damage to whatever record(s) were open at the time.

I have two cats myself, and luckily, I don't have any problems with them laying on the keyboard. But, when I asked a Veterinarian one time about how to proactively keep a cat out of somewhere you don't want a cat, and he gave me the best advice.. He said "Whatever the deterrant, it needs to be god that acts it." Meaning, if you want your cat to stay off the kitchen counter, the mere act of you spraying your cat is not enough. Because then all the cat learns is not to be on the Kitchen counter when you are around with a spray bottle.

Funny stuff! I won't be buying it, and I likely won't be promoting it, but it does have some merit for people that have cats that seem to like the massaging attributes of a Keyboard.. :)

-Brad

My cat is a pretty good typist so this probably wouldn't catch him. lol Actually my cat isn't that interested in my computer. He drives me nuts in other ways. He will practically try to climb in my mouth to get at chicken, but he doesn't care about the computer. I used to have a cat who was fascinated with the printer. I had to keep an eye on her whenever I printed anything.

:) Barbara

Used to have a BIG problem with our "children" messing with the computer, particularly the keyboard. Since I'm a writer, I learned to be best friends with the "SAVE" key.

Now the children have no access to the computer so I'm able to type without any fear of intrusion.:LOL::LOL:

candelbc said:
I have two cats myself, and luckily, I don't have any problems with them laying on the keyboard. But, when I asked a Veterinarian one time about how to proactively keep a cat out of somewhere you don't want a cat, and he gave me the best advice.. He said "Whatever the deterrant, it needs to be god that acts it." Meaning, if you want your cat to stay off the kitchen counter, the mere act of you spraying your cat is not enough. Because then all the cat learns is not to be on the Kitchen counter when you are around with a spray bottle.
-Brad

"Whatever the deterrant, it needs to be god that acts it."

What does that mean?

duct tape, sticky side up on the computer and monitor top.
they`ll only jump on it Once after that :)
it works for window ledges too.

jpmcgrew said:
:) I heard cats dont like citrus like lemons or oranges.

In the past I've put up a photo here of one of my cats eating a lemon wedge from DH's hand. Mine LOVE citrus, and when we eat fish they hang around not for that but for the lemon wedges. They have also been seen stealing an orange with the peel grated (obviously they could smell it more) which they rolled out and licked and licked.

Citrus probably ranks in my cats top ten flavours. :ROFLMAO:

My kitties love to get close to the monitor and gaze. Also mesmerized by paper coming out of the printer.

my silly cats..

jpmcgrew said:
:) I heard cats dont like citrus like lemons or oranges.

hmmm someone needs to tell most of cats that :P Newton and his partner in crime Mona love to nibble on whatever they can grab...their favorite human food is mango, tangerines, mandarin oranges, lemon peels lol

My silly Elise loves to watch the printer...it goes off and she is right there protecting me form the evil printer :)

strange strange cats!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom