How to make grouting an easier task???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Hi DC friends,
I have a big project to finish today. DH layed outdoor tile on our 10X24 sq ft. covered porch and I'm stuck with the job of grouting it. How fun! I did help a bit last Sunday but it took 4 hours just to fill and clean off 12 tiles. ARgh! Any suggestions on how to make this tedious job easier? I need all the help I can get. Thank you all. I better go out there and get started....sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you trying to feed the grout into just the cracks?

I have seen professionals do it and they take a big glob of grout and use a 12" or longer squeegee or even a long board and use it to scraped the grout across the entire surface of the tile and that forces the grout into the cracks. Hold the squeegee at a 45 degree angle to the floor and pull it towards you. It will keep most of the grout off the surface and force it into the cracks.

I've been doing a lot of tiling lately, although none outside (thank goodness). I've discovered it is soooo much easier if you have 2 people. One person, the one who slops on the grout, can be a kid. There's no way to do this neatly anyway and all they really have to do is make sure they squish enough grout between each tile. The second person, you, works behind and wipes clean and neatens up the grout lines. That requires more precision, but is easier if it hasn't dried too much. Outside in Texas right now is so hot that the drying will be speeded up. But it's still a very tedious and messy job no matter how many people are helping. Good luck to you on this (and post a pic when you get done!)

I've been doing a lot of tiling lately, although none outside (thank goodness). I've discovered it is soooo much easier if you have 2 people. One person, the one who slops on the grout, can be a kid. There's no way to do this neatly anyway and all they really have to do is make sure they squish enough grout between each tile. The second person, you, works behind and wipes clean and neatens up the grout lines. That requires more precision, but is easier if it hasn't dried too much. Outside in Texas right now is so hot that the drying will be speeded up. But it's still a very tedious and messy job no matter how many people are helping. Good luck to you on this (and post a pic when you get done!)
Yep. This is exactly what DH and I did last night. I worked on it a couple of hours in the morning myself and boy, did I have backaches all night! It's looking nice out there.

that size should not take more than a couple hours ...
work in 2' x 2' sections ... spread grout with a grout sponge ..
by the time you get done with the section it should be ready
for wiping .. do not try to get the tiles spotless ..
there will be a haze .. it will wipe off ..
keep a bucket of water with you .. and just keep wiping ..
you need to try and do each section in the same amount of time ..
the longer the grout sits before you wipe the darker
it will get ..

its not an epoxy based grout is it ?

Back
Top Bottom