How to organize photos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I have alot of photos in boxes that I would like to place into frames and albums. Where do I start? I dont want to add frilly things to photo albums, just need to know how to organize photos. How do you guys do yours? Events? Families? Friends? For the frames I'll just put individual photos up on the walls, and maybe a collage type of frame as well. The photo albums arrangement is a mystery to me though. I mean I have old baby photos, and old family photos, some of us as we were older, various life events as well. What to do?:ohmy:

Oh Amber... I wish I could help but... I have a lot of photos in boxes that I would like to place into frames and albums too! I just went and looked at all of them the other day with that thought in mind. The job seemed toooooo hard so back in the boxes they all went. Sigh.

HELP!!!!

I'm probably not the person to ask about how to arrange photo albums! I am totally OC when it comes to that. All pictures arranged in chronological order (or as close to it as I can come if I don't know the dates).

:) Barbara

pdswife, I did exactly the same thing a couple of days ago and they went back into the box :LOL: I know it will take quite alot of time to do this!

Barb, so you mean chronological for people and or events then? Thats kind of what I was thinking.

Last edited:
Maybe, we should wait until after the holidays where we're not feeling so rushed and busy to do it??

pdswife said:
Maybe, we should wait until after the holidays where we're not feeling so rushed and busy to do it??

Definately. I'm not planning on making albums to give as gifts or anything like that. I figure it will take many months to gather these photos and organize them.

I went to my mom's for T-day and for some silly horrid reason I brought home even more. lolol!

pdswife said:
I went to my mom's for T-day and for some silly horrid reason I brought home even more. lolol!

:LOL: And so it goes, and this is why I too have so many photos from years of T-day, Christmas, etc. :wacko: What to do with all of them!

I like my pictures in the exact order they were taken! Of course pictures from events go together, but they generally end up that way chronologically anyway. I do think special albums for things like weddings or other special days are nice to do. I have a lot of pictures in boxes too. I need to get some more photo albums. I would like to put some of them up in frames too. For collage frames I think I would like to do something different. For instance, in one I would like to have a grouping of my family from the same time period (within a few month span) and another with each family member at certain ages (like all infants/toddlers/teens, etc.).

I started with one bottom dresser drawer filled with photos that I somewhat sorted through today. I bought some photo albums, and some frames, and sorted some photos of my husband and I when we first met to make an album of those photos first. I found there are alot of blurry photos which I can just toss out, Whew! And then others that are duplicates so I'll put those separately. :wacko:

I have boxes full of photos and the entire top of the thing the TV sits in is full of framed photos.

The important thing to do, no matter where they are in your house, is to put the names of the people in the picture and the date on the back.

You think you will remember, but you will not.

I have a big plastic tub with a lid. I keep it in the closet and all my printed pictures and their negatives are in there. No particular order, mostly in the cardboard folders they came back in. They will, no doubt, turn to dust in that tub.

My digital fotos are in folders, separated by subject, within the My Pictures folder on my computer.

Amber I would first organize the photos by dates - hopefully the date is on the back of the photo. If not separate them into piles for family, special functions, animals etc.

Then buy a few large photo albums that have plastic on top and you put the pictures under the plastic. You can write under the pictures if you so wish.

Hopeful my suggestion was helpful.

I have very few actual 'photographs', most of which are in frames on the walls. By FAR most of my pictures are digital images. I love to 'file manage' and organze them in folders and subfolders.

When I first open "my Pictures" there are only 4 folders, each representing a different time in my life (labeled by geographic location). Within each folder are sub-folders representing: "Events" (chronologically sub-sub-foldered) or other geographic locations or people that I experienced when I was in those areas.

I guess regular photographs would be similar. You just have to develop a filing system that works for you. If you can go strictly chronological and that works for you, then go for it.

HAVE FUN!

(by the way, this is my 1,000th post :)... I got there slower than some have, but I've enjoyed reading and participating in this forum)

Good tip mudbug about writing the names of the people and the date on the back of the photo, which I usually do, but many times have just figured I'd get around to it (which is not good now that I look back at all of these photos!)

Andy, I have quite a few digital photos on my pc as well and they are organized by date, but somehow I just prefer paper photos, I tend to look at those more frequently than digital ones.

The Z, most of my photos are paper, and I have ALOT of photos. So far, I've found the easiest thing to do is start with the most recent photos of myself and my husband and get those organized, and then worked my way back. It seems alot easier to organize digital photos though!

mudbug said:
The important thing to do, no matter where they are in your house, is to put the names of the people in the picture and the date on the back. You think you will remember, but you will not.
AMEN!!! Not only do we end up forgetting, but when we eventually pass on and the pictures are passed down to our kids, they may not know who someone is or when the pictures were taken. My mom had a box of pictures that had been handed down and there were so many interesting pictures, but we had no idea who many of the people were.

Barb, that's the same problem I had with a beautiful album my grandparents had. Lovely old sepia-toned photos of folks I may or may not have been related to, and nobody knew anymore.

Back
Top Bottom