"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
Cook

How to start a business?

So hiya, i wanna take 3 properties my family has and turn them into a company. what do i basically do? can i buy a book somewhere? lol thanks in advance.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppose
So hiya, i wanna take 3 properties my family has and turn them into a company. what do i basically do? can i buy a book somewhere? lol thanks in advance.
I'll take the lol out of your post and put it in mine - but in CAPS - LOL

Do me a favor - Pretend someone else wrote your request and determine if ANY kind of answer could be given - that's what I thought you'd say

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Cook

well i guess i wanna make a corporation.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Aren't you like, um, on the wrong website to be asking this question?
Old 08-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

MORE INFO!!!!!

What kind of proerties?!?!

What kind of business?!?!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
When my daughter got married I bought her Cooking for Dummies. I guess you could get Starting a Corporation for Dummies.

If you are serious, you should take some business classes in college to figure out what direction to take.

Barbara
Old 08-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
I am not asking this to be rude so I hope it does not come across that way. I am asking because, from the way you said this it sounds like you may not.

Do you know what a corporation is?

I think your first step would be to figure out what type of company do you want to start. Are you going to be selling a product? Are you offering a service? Who are your customers? What is it that will make you money? Where will you get the money to start this business.

These are basic questions that you need to think about to decide if starting a business is something you are really going to do.

Then write a business plan.

If you can get through writing a good business plan then take it from there, but if you are unable to do that then owning a business probably is not for you.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
Master Chef

I've never desired to own my own business because I consistently see how much work it is and how people screw it up.

#1. many operate under the delusion that they won't have a boss. Every person who walks through your front door IS your boss. If anything you have MORE bosses than in a traditional job.

#2. Business owners who I've known like one aspect of their job, and fall down in the other, necessary ones. For example, a veteranerian who hated humans. Well, it is nice to like animals, but they don't write the checks. Campground and hotel owners where the idea was that wife did the meeting and greeting, husband did maintenace. Guess what? You can't have a mean old sour dispositioned man on the premises, and what happens when wife gets sick. Exercise instructors who buy a franchise and can't handle paperwork and filing. After a couple of years, that paperwork catches up with them at tax time and trouble ensues. People whose spouses are cheating on taxes, and they just sign. And here would be a biggie for me, when the maid, waitress, etc simply don't show up and you have to do it all. Be sure that you can handle every aspect of the business because it IS your business. Your customers don't care that your maid didn't show up so it's ok that your restrooms are filthy. The IRS doesn't care that you just signed the piece of paper your spouse or business partner stuck in front of you without reading it. And who gets to deal with renters who don't pay. And do you really expect renters to be happy when you lost the check?

Think long and hard and be ready to deal with it all ... and yes, with a smile on your face, whether you feel like it or not.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
Executive Chef

What are you thinking of doing? If its a restaurant I would think twice. I have had people ask me why I dont have my own restaurant and I have had people wanting to back me in a restaurant.I always say are you kidding me? Between the work and staff and paper work and laws and taxes and hours and dishonest staff etc?No way I can make make plenty as a private chef without the hassle of of all the sleepless nights of trying to make the bills etc.