How to write a resume`

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i went there today for some tips and i also found this site.
How to Write a Resume | Free Resume Builder

not sure how well up to date it is.

This page on that site has some good tips.

How many classes do you have to complete before you will be CISCO-certified? Is certification required for the job you want? If it is, you would be better off waiting to change jobs until you have the cert. Or, you can put something like this on your resume:

Currently pursuing CISCO certification; expected finish date: xx/xx/2008​

You need to determine what you want to say before going to a resume-builder site. Include anything and everything you have done, paid or not, related to computer/network stuff. Include headings like Skills, Employment History, Education and Community Service (if any). If you've been in a club or served on a board or committee of an organization outside of work, include that here. The last item should say: References available upon request.

Write a separate page of references and include people who can attest to your skills, including current and/or former supervisors and instructors. Avoid friends, relatives and co-workers; they won't be seen as objective.

Remember that it can be very difficult to find a new job during a recession, although with CISCO cert., it should be easier. If it won't be very long, say six months or so, before you finish the cert., I'd advise staying put till you have it. HTH.

This page on that site has some good tips.

How many classes do you have to complete before you will be CISCO-certified? Is certification required for the job you want? If it is, you would be better off waiting to change jobs until you have the cert. Or, you can put something like this on your resume:
Currently pursuing CISCO certification; expected finish date: xx/xx/2008​
You need to determine what you want to say before going to a resume-builder site. Include anything and everything you have done, paid or not, related to computer/network stuff. Include headings like Skills, Employment History, Education and Community Service (if any). If you've been in a club or served on a board or committee of an organization outside of work, include that here. The last item should say: References available upon request.

Write a separate page of references and include people who can attest to your skills, including current and/or former supervisors and instructors. Avoid friends, relatives and co-workers; they won't be seen as objective.

Remember that it can be very difficult to find a new job during a recession, although with CISCO cert., it should be easier. If it won't be very long, say six months or so, before you finish the cert., I'd advise staying put till you have it. HTH.

We are in a recession? Son OF A.

Well i took the CISCO classes January of 07 and did not pass the exam. They dont offer them during the summer and since they dropped the degree and i had to rebuild it, they just got put back on and i start next week all over AGAIN. so by may of 09 i should, no no no, i will have one of my CISCO certs.

Student council counts as a board or committee right?

We are in a recession? Son OF A.

Well i took the CISCO classes January of 07 and did not pass the exam. They dont offer them during the summer and since they dropped the degree and i had to rebuild it, they just got put back on and i start next week all over AGAIN. so by may of 09 i should, no no no, i will have one of my CISCO certs.

Student council counts as a board or committee right?

Yes, it does. Shows leadership and practice in whatever skills you used to do the job.

I'd suggest only lisitng student council if you are right out of school.

Otherwise I'd suggest not listing it.

Well, im on student council because i helped create the new engineering program for them. I probably will put it because it is something to do with my carer

:) Hi, Jennyema. I think LT has said before that he's 22 or 23, which is why I said to include it. Is that right, LT?

yes, im 24 as of last week. I am trying to get them to send me a letter of recognition and or certificate for helping with the new program. That would boost my resume`

Find a resume format you like online and make it your own. There are so many tips and advice people can give you, because everyone thinks their own resume is amazing, but only you can decide exactly how you want it. Play to your strengths, and always leave something out so that you have something new to tell them in the interview. Remember that a cover letter is to sell them to look at your resume, and the resume is selling yourself so they want to meet you. Don't be TOO detailed, 2 pages is plenty. You need to show them you can be clear and concise.

So far so good. I am using monster.com to design the resume` and then save it as a word doc and add or take out.

If you use Monster to post your resume too then I know you can have up to 5 different resumes saved in their database. That way when you are applying to jobs can can pick which one you want to send out.

The top of a resume has your name, address and phone number

The next paragraph is your objective/goal: To seek a position that would best utilize my xyz....

Next, list your most recent employment situations. Depending on how long you've been in the work force or how long you stay at positions, you should have 3 listed. It's not necessary to go back 20 years.

Next, list schools and achievements, including awards and associations you belong to.

Finalize by stating that references will be furnished upon request.

Don't use coloured paper or fonts. Use normal fonts and sizes, too.

Have any of you guys had the experience of someone saying that there is a good job opportunity so you should apply because its right up your alley but when you go to apply the requirements are above what you have. That happens to me alot. My professor just emailed me a job application for a LAN administrator. BUT it requires an associates which i wont have for a while but my professor knows that. I wonder why people send you those applications if they know you cant apply for it.

Listing just three jobs in your industry might make sense Vera, but in other industries more can be better depending on what the jobs were and the skill sets you used at them were.

List as many jobs going back as you can if it is relevant to the job you are going for or shows a skill that could come in handy.

I probably would not have my current job if I only listed my past three jobs. There were skills on my resume from one of my older jobs that my current boss was really impressed with. That helped me stand out and eventually get the job.

Listing just three jobs in your industry might make sense Vera, but in other industries more can be better depending on what the jobs were and the skill sets you used at them were.

List as many jobs going back as you can if it is relevant to the job you are going for or shows a skill that could come in handy.

I probably would not have my current job if I only listed my past three jobs. There were skills on my resume from one of my older jobs that my current boss was really impressed with. That helped me stand out and eventually get the job.

I agree entirely. IMO you should never leave any professional position off your resume. You should be able to account for your time since you entered the workforce.

Have any of you guys had the experience of someone saying that there is a good job opportunity so you should apply because its right up your alley but when you go to apply the requirements are above what you have. That happens to me alot. My professor just emailed me a job application for a LAN administrator. BUT it requires an associates which i wont have for a while but my professor knows that. I wonder why people send you those applications if they know you cant apply for it.

Yes!

This is how you "climb the ladder" professionally.

Many of the so-called "requirements" of a particular position are flexible and can be overlooked if a candidate is impressive in other areas.

If your professor thinks you can do the job without your associates then you should too. I think you should go for it.

There's nothing wrong with applying for jobs you think you might be underqualified for. You may be exactly what they're looking for. Or close enough.

I do not think I have ever had a job were I had every single requirement under my belt. Like Jenny said, for the right candidate they will overlook whatever they have to overlook to get you on the door.

I always apply for jobs I feel I may not be qualified for if I really want the job. The worst that can happen is they say no.

I didn't say 'just' list 3 jobs...I said you should have 3 listed. More than 3 could be inferred from my sentence, especially since the word 'just' wasn't there.

Back
Top Bottom