"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i went there today for some tips and i also found this site.
How to Write a Resume | Free Resume Builder

not sure how well up to date it is.
This page on that site has some good tips.

How many classes do you have to complete before you will be CISCO-certified? Is certification required for the job you want? If it is, you would be better off waiting to change jobs until you have the cert. Or, you can put something like this on your resume:
Currently pursuing CISCO certification; expected finish date: xx/xx/2008
You need to determine what you want to say before going to a resume-builder site. Include anything and everything you have done, paid or not, related to computer/network stuff. Include headings like Skills, Employment History, Education and Community Service (if any). If you've been in a club or served on a board or committee of an organization outside of work, include that here. The last item should say: References available upon request.

Write a separate page of references and include people who can attest to your skills, including current and/or former supervisors and instructors. Avoid friends, relatives and co-workers; they won't be seen as objective.

Remember that it can be very difficult to find a new job during a recession, although with CISCO cert., it should be easier. If it won't be very long, say six months or so, before you finish the cert., I'd advise staying put till you have it. HTH.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This page on that site has some good tips.

How many classes do you have to complete before you will be CISCO-certified? Is certification required for the job you want? If it is, you would be better off waiting to change jobs until you have the cert. Or, you can put something like this on your resume:
Currently pursuing CISCO certification; expected finish date: xx/xx/2008
You need to determine what you want to say before going to a resume-builder site. Include anything and everything you have done, paid or not, related to computer/network stuff. Include headings like Skills, Employment History, Education and Community Service (if any). If you've been in a club or served on a board or committee of an organization outside of work, include that here. The last item should say: References available upon request.

Write a separate page of references and include people who can attest to your skills, including current and/or former supervisors and instructors. Avoid friends, relatives and co-workers; they won't be seen as objective.

Remember that it can be very difficult to find a new job during a recession, although with CISCO cert., it should be easier. If it won't be very long, say six months or so, before you finish the cert., I'd advise staying put till you have it. HTH.
We are in a recession? Son OF A.

Well i took the CISCO classes January of 07 and did not pass the exam. They dont offer them during the summer and since they dropped the degree and i had to rebuild it, they just got put back on and i start next week all over AGAIN. so by may of 09 i should, no no no, i will have one of my CISCO certs.

Student council counts as a board or committee right?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
We are in a recession? Son OF A.

Well i took the CISCO classes January of 07 and did not pass the exam. They dont offer them during the summer and since they dropped the degree and i had to rebuild it, they just got put back on and i start next week all over AGAIN. so by may of 09 i should, no no no, i will have one of my CISCO certs.

Student council counts as a board or committee right?
Yes, it does. Shows leadership and practice in whatever skills you used to do the job.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #24
Master Chef

I'd suggest only lisitng student council if you are right out of school.

Otherwise I'd suggest not listing it.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

Hi, Jennyema. I think LT has said before that he's 22 or 23, which is why I said to include it. Is that right, LT?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:

Well, im on student council because i helped create the new engineering program for them. I probably will put it because it is something to do with my carer
Old 08-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi, Jennyema. I think LT has said before that he's 22 or 23, which is why I said to include it. Is that right, LT?
yes, im 24 as of last week. I am trying to get them to send me a letter of recognition and or certificate for helping with the new program. That would boost my resume`
Old 08-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #28
Master Chef

This was college student council, right?
Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
This was college student council, right?
yes, im on it as we speak.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #30
Master Chef

That's good then. Stress the engineering angle.