"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #31
Head Chef

Find a resume format you like online and make it your own. There are so many tips and advice people can give you, because everyone thinks their own resume is amazing, but only you can decide exactly how you want it. Play to your strengths, and always leave something out so that you have something new to tell them in the interview. Remember that a cover letter is to sell them to look at your resume, and the resume is selling yourself so they want to meet you. Don't be TOO detailed, 2 pages is plenty. You need to show them you can be clear and concise.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #32
Head Chef

So far so good. I am using monster.com to design the resume` and then save it as a word doc and add or take out.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

If you use Monster to post your resume too then I know you can have up to 5 different resumes saved in their database. That way when you are applying to jobs can can pick which one you want to send out.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #34
Executive Chef

The top of a resume has your name, address and phone number

The next paragraph is your objective/goal: To seek a position that would best utilize my xyz....

Next, list your most recent employment situations. Depending on how long you've been in the work force or how long you stay at positions, you should have 3 listed. It's not necessary to go back 20 years.

Next, list schools and achievements, including awards and associations you belong to.

Finalize by stating that references will be furnished upon request.

Don't use coloured paper or fonts. Use normal fonts and sizes, too.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #35
Head Chef

Have any of you guys had the experience of someone saying that there is a good job opportunity so you should apply because its right up your alley but when you go to apply the requirements are above what you have. That happens to me alot. My professor just emailed me a job application for a LAN administrator. BUT it requires an associates which i wont have for a while but my professor knows that. I wonder why people send you those applications if they know you cant apply for it.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

Listing just three jobs in your industry might make sense Vera, but in other industries more can be better depending on what the jobs were and the skill sets you used at them were.

List as many jobs going back as you can if it is relevant to the job you are going for or shows a skill that could come in handy.

I probably would not have my current job if I only listed my past three jobs. There were skills on my resume from one of my older jobs that my current boss was really impressed with. That helped me stand out and eventually get the job.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Listing just three jobs in your industry might make sense Vera, but in other industries more can be better depending on what the jobs were and the skill sets you used at them were.

List as many jobs going back as you can if it is relevant to the job you are going for or shows a skill that could come in handy.

I probably would not have my current job if I only listed my past three jobs. There were skills on my resume from one of my older jobs that my current boss was really impressed with. That helped me stand out and eventually get the job.

I agree entirely. IMO you should never leave any professional position off your resume. You should be able to account for your time since you entered the workforce.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Have any of you guys had the experience of someone saying that there is a good job opportunity so you should apply because its right up your alley but when you go to apply the requirements are above what you have. That happens to me alot. My professor just emailed me a job application for a LAN administrator. BUT it requires an associates which i wont have for a while but my professor knows that. I wonder why people send you those applications if they know you cant apply for it.

Yes!

This is how you "climb the ladder" professionally.

Many of the so-called "requirements" of a particular position are flexible and can be overlooked if a candidate is impressive in other areas.

If your professor thinks you can do the job without your associates then you should too. I think you should go for it.

There's nothing wrong with applying for jobs you think you might be underqualified for. You may be exactly what they're looking for. Or close enough.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
I do not think I have ever had a job were I had every single requirement under my belt. Like Jenny said, for the right candidate they will overlook whatever they have to overlook to get you on the door.

I always apply for jobs I feel I may not be qualified for if I really want the job. The worst that can happen is they say no.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

I didn't say 'just' list 3 jobs...I said you should have 3 listed. More than 3 could be inferred from my sentence, especially since the word 'just' wasn't there.