"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Head Chef

How to write a resume`

I dont have a resume` because my ex brother in law hired me right after i quit my other job. I have really no idea how to write/build a resume`.

I have some really BIG decessions to make in the next 6 months for work. One of them is; Do i get a new job before i get my certification from CISCO or do i wait till i have a cert behind me before i switch jobs.

That one is the biggest on my plate right now. So i need to write a resume` and i could use DC's help.

Thanx

Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Boy, your thread came at the perfect time for me! I'm wondering the same thing.

In my case, I was a credit manager for 30 years, and that's what my resume' reflects. I don't even know if tinkers have ever constructed a resume' to dsiplay their talents.

About five years ago, I met most of my restaurant clients setting up to sharpen in a local sporting goods store. I would meet them virtually by accident or word of mouth. However, that sporting goods store closed.

But there's a strange dichotomy. I made very little money sharpening hunting and pocket knives. But the exposure to chefs and sous-chefs paid the bills.

Now that I've decided to work exclusively on chefs' knives (and those of long term clients) I was wondering if a "pre-approach" letter should be sent out to the best restaurants in Madison--at least until buzz is established.

However, I still have no resume' to include!

When you find an idea that works, post your ideas here. I'll bet lots of us are in the same boat. They say baby-boomers have at least six careers in their lives. I agree.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

LT:

I'd check out resume prep. sites for resume assistance. The resume is an important part of the introduction to a prospective employer and can make or break you.

Chico:

If you are preparing a resume' as a tinker, you can omit any info on your previous career(s). If you have any references, use them. Get permission from local restaurant staffs to use them as references.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

There are resume programs out there.... one of my old PCs even came equipped with a resume program. If you could find the form you like, the rest is just filling it out.
One thing that's always nice for a prospective employer to see, at least IMO, is for your references NOT to all have the same last name as you. If you could list a former employer rather than just family or friends, that's always nice.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Master Chef

Being self-employed most of my life I've never written a resume. But if I had to write one today I would follow the simple standard format samples which I assume are available on-line. One thing I know is to keep your resume simple without irrelevant info about yourself which do not pertain to the position you're seeking.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Head Chef

Should i mention that in the last 2 years i have buitl over 150 PC's and along with a few of my own Firewalls, antennas and water proof access points? I dont know what to really put in it.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Word used to have resume (I call them Curriculum Vitaes) templates. The thing is to be honest and positive. Look at several different styles and pick one that suits you. Keep it short 2/3 pages - any more, the recruitment personnel will not read them.

As some one who has done a couple of stints sorting through applications:
spell correctly
use correct grammar (including punctuation)

Your CV (resume) needs to stand out in some way to catch the eye of the perosn who may be sifting through up to a hundred.

You may find it worth talking to your friends and asking to see their ones and think about your first impressions of them. If you want I can dig mine out (its a few years old) and pm it to you - but it is more designed for the English market.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Word used to have resume (I call them Curriculum Vitaes) templates. The thing is to be honest and positive. Look at several different styles and pick one that suits you. Keep it short 2/3 pages - any more, the recruitment personnel will not read them.

As some one who has done a couple of stints sorting through applications:
spell correctly
use correct grammar (including punctuation)

Your CV (resume) needs to stand out in some way to catch the eye of the perosn who may be sifting through up to a hundred.

You may find it worth talking to your friends and asking to see their ones and think about your first impressions of them. If you want I can dig mine out (its a few years old) and pm it to you - but it is more designed for the English market.
go for it. i think if i see one that has nothing to do with my area of schooling and one that does i can get a good idea what i need to do.

I use open Office so hopefully it will be bale to open word docs, it should but you never know..
Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
Master Chef

Try to keep your resume to one page. Most employers won't read more than that. You want to keep your job experience to specific skills you used in each position whether that is supervising others or specific tasks that fell to you to complete. If the computer building was a part of your job description then include it there. If it was "just for fun" then you can list it at the bottom as additional skills you have that may not have been used in your previous jobs. I always included stuff like when I was treasurer or president of the band boosters since that showed leadership and fiscal skills that may not have been used in my job. I also put down what computer programs I was familiar with using. You want to be sure to list your current most recent job first and work backwards and get less detailed the farther in the past you go. References should be co-workers or supervisors who have actually observed your work ethic as well as friends. Try not to use family members. As far as whether to wait for certification before looking for another job, my question would be, Is certification something necessary for the job you want? You also don't state why you want to look for a new job. Could you stay there for a while and be content? The thing about staying long enough for the certification them splitting will make the company think twice about offering to help others get certified.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Chico: If you are preparing a resume' as a tinker, you can omit any info on your previous career(s). If you have any references, use them. Get permission from local.
This is the same problem as the OP faces. We were in the workforce, but at a differing career.

Obviously, I have gray hair. If a resume' begins, "College graduate 1972, Sharpener 1997," the guy might wonder where I was. And it happens.

I broke my neck in a car accident in 1987. I was laid up for a few months, and one HR guy noted the "hole" in my assignment dates. Now granted, he was the only one, but lots of HR people want to know where you were, assume you may have been fired and want explanations as why you did a lateral or lower transfer.

*sigh* to most folks, a tinker is not a skilled position. Not even in Japan.

The OP worked for family. It could appear that it was not a "real" job and they were just helping out mom and dad. As the job market tightens and displaces workers, these appear like minor twists and turns, that is, unless you're the one out of work.

I'd only have to do two or three fugu knives per week to buttress my bike riding. To my knowledge, they don't serve blowfish in Madison.

And it's going to get worse. I agree, a first rate resume' is going to be key here for the OP.