"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post

I

Loving food is not wrong, just as loving a woman is not wrong, as long as that woman (and I'm sticking my neck out here, but it is my belief) is your spouse. And it is not even wrong to appreciate her body in private. But all things must be done with respect.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I'm not sure that I understand that line since many women are loved by men who are not their spouses. As for enjoying something with respect, that too is relative. What may be disrespectful to you or someone else, may be appropriate for me or someone else. Respect for food means treating it well. But to enjoy it with relish and abandon, is pure heaven. Same with people.

People who live in Michigan, as you do, are surrounded by farmlands giving them the very best of whatever is grown there. Who couldn't love food in that environment?

Old 12-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Loving food is not wrong, just as loving a woman is not wrong, as long as that woman (and I'm sticking my neck out here, but it is my belief) is your spouse. And it is not even wrong to appreciate her body in private. But all things must be done with respect.
I'm not sure I understand this either, GW, as it relates to food. But I think this is a very interesting thread and it's thought provoking.

I have always had a relatively uninspired relationship with food. I ate it because I need it to live. I enjoyed feeding my family in the sense that it was part of protecting their health. I loved meal times because of the social aspect of sitting around together laughing and joking and keeping up with everyone's lives. But because I was a poor cook, the tastiness of the meal wasn't given much priority. (My mom was an equally poor cook and meal times were awful when I was growing up. My main goal nutritionally as a parent was to try and make sure I prepared a variety of foods that each child liked and to make sure I never forced anyone at my table to eat anything they didn't want to eat.)

Now that I have some limited skills in the kitchen, it has truly enhanced our meal times. The actual food is something we look forward to as much as the family time. And we all enjoy getting together in the kitchen to prepare things. But none of us is proficient enough to really love food yet. We enjoy a delicious meal and eat it with gusto. But if it doesn't turn out so well, we still eat it and don't think twice about it.

I don't know if this is good or bad, and until I joined DC, I didn't even know it was unusual! I do wonder if our relationship with food will change as my skills improve. Someone mentioned gluttony and it made me think. I have never understood gluttony, but I think it may have something to do with not having had really delicious food on a regular basis. No one in the family has ever had a weight problem except for when a couple of them moved away and began eating fast foods and convenience foods - (something that isn't practical in a household with 7 or more children at any given time).

Anyway, that's my wierd feelings and thoughts on food.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I love to gather all of my ingredients even before I prepare them and admire them. I admire food! I don't think that is a bad thing. Some of my favorite pictures have been of unprepared dinners/suppers. I often like the uncooked states of foods when it comes to photograph.

Beautiful food wakes my senses - I can't help it and I don't feel bad because of it. I also don't even associate the term in question when I take pictures of it. The thought never enters my mind...well...except the REALLY good pictures!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I'm not sure that I understand that line since many women are loved by men who are not their spouses. As for enjoying something with respect, that too is relative. What may be disrespectful to you or someone else, may be appropriate for me or someone else. Respect for food means treating it well. But to enjoy it with relish and abandon, is pure heaven. Same with people.

People who live in Michigan, as you do, are surrounded by farmlands giving them the very best of whatever is grown there. Who couldn't love food in that environment?
I could be wrong, but I don't think he means love as in you fall in love with someone, I think he means the act of making love and is saying he believes that should only occur between spouses. The context he is writing it in leads me to believe that is his meaning.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Thank you GW for sharing those thoughts. Food is the "binder" for certain aspects of life - it keeps us alive, it brings people together, makes memories, teaches us science and math techniques when we combine it with other ingredients etc... Food is a fascinating subject (which is why I joined this site, lol). Thank you again for sharing :o)
Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #16
Head Chef

Life is filled with all kinds of pleasures and I was not raised to believe that pleasure is in and of itself sinful so I do not understand where you are going with your thoughts.

This is a foodie site. It would be strange if we did not discuss how shopping, prepping and preparing food pleases us or that sharing what we make with those we love pleases us.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:30 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Life is filled with all kinds of pleasures and I was not raised to believe that pleasure is in and of itself sinful so I do not understand where you are going with your thoughts.

This is a foodie site. It would be strange if we did not discuss how shopping, prepping and preparing food pleases us or that sharing what we make with those we love pleases us.
I too enjoy food, the taste, the textures, the aromas, the preperation, and the excitement of creating something new, or perfecting something we have been shown by another's experience or teachings. I was merely stating that food should be respected for what it is, and not idolized above things of greater import. And it completely up to the individual to know if he/she is puting too much effort into all things food.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
t completely up to the individual to know if he/she is puting too much effort into all things food.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I do not understand this statement? How can you put too much effort into anything? I was always taught if you are going to do something then do it to the best of your ability. Don't do it half-hearted. By that logic, it is impossible to put too much effort into anything.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
Sous Chef

My philosophy is that cooking is my hobby. To me it's the best kind of hobby because eating is a necessity. 99% percent of my ingredients come from the supermarket or farmer's market, and I make the best meals with what what I have on hand. I can cook delicious meals and be economical at the same time. Yes I love to cook, and I love to eat the meals that I cook. For that I am not ashamed...
Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I do not understand this statement? How can you put too much effort into anything? I was always taught if you are going to do something then do it to the best of your ability. Don't do it half-hearted. By that logic, it is impossible to put too much effort into anything.
Excellent thought. I agree. I don't think that you can enjoy anthing too much either. Is there anything more pleasurable than enjoying to the fullest anything that you do well, or anything that anyone else does well? Addiction and obsessions are, of course, the exception, but I dont think anyone here is talking about either of those.
I had dinner with my friends last night at a wonderful restuarant that made the most fantastic meal I've had in a restuarant in years. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite and was grateful that those who prepared it knew what they were doing and did it well. Life is to be enjoyed whether the pleasure is physical or visual.