How would you feel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooooo! I think I get it now GB. You weren't so much worried about the ethics of the situation, you were worried about the condition of one of your "toys". THAT makes more sense to me. I was a bit puzzled I must confess. Would it have bothered you if the volume was down a bit? Was it just the fact that the volume was so loud that got to you?

The volume was just part of it Alix, but it is at the heart of the matter. What if I had something set up to record and by her watching a different channel she stopped the recording? What if there was a problem with the TV and we were not turning it on until we got it fixed? What if...

OK granted these are not majorly realistic scenarios, but the fact remains that she is a stranger we hired to do a specific job. We trusted her in out house with all our things. The TV room is on the opposite side of the house from where she was supposed to be. If she would have asked if she could use the TV while she took her break I would have happily told her to go right ahead, but she did not ask and did not know if there would be any reason we would not want her touching our stuff.

I get it more now GB. It wasn't making much sense to me before, but it does now.

Sounds like it really boils down to common courtesy. You would have been happy to share your things, but would like to be asked first. That is logical to me.

This is going to sound nuts, this reminds me of my issues with our dog. I KNOW he gets on the furniture when we are out, but I can't catch him in the act. There is evidence left...but no way to really enforce my silly rule.

Now that the picture is clearer to me GB I think I might have been a little choked too. I think the TV is less important to me than some other things, but I get the principle now.

Thanks for reading through my cloudiness and making it clearer Alix. That is exactly what it boils down to for me.

...I KNOW he gets on the furniture when we are out, but I can't catch him in the act. There is evidence left...but no way to really enforce my silly rule...

Yeah, but I'll bet your dog doesn't watch the Lifetime Network and leave the volume way up!

I would never leave anyone in the house that I didn't know for myself.
When we had our kitchen extension done a few years ago, I came home from work at 3pm & found them all sitting in my garden having a cup of tea, my neighbour said they'd been sitting there since 1.30pm, then they packed up at 4 pm!!

They couldn't access past the kitchen though

I, too, do not leave workers at the house when one of us can't be here, but I live in a small, very trusting town and I am the exception rather than the rule (I wasn't raised here, the places I grew up you wouldn't dream of it). I'd say as others have, I'd be irritated, but if they did a good job, nothing was pilfered, and I was pleased overall, I'd just let it be. The workers I've hired (I have an old 1854 house, so we often have repair, painting, restoration work) pretty much bring their own boom boxes, on which they play oldies or C&W at a volume I can live with. IF the painting was going on in the same room as the TV or within listening distance I'd assume they were listening to it while working (we have notoriously bad radio reception here). But I can't say I'd be upset if I thought workers watched TV on their breaks.

I'd say as others have, I'd be irritated, but if they did a good job, nothing was pilfered, and I was pleased overall, I'd just let it be.
Yep, that was the exact outcome. We were very pleased with her work and her price could not be beat. We are also extremely pleased with the guy she recommended for the drywall (he is here finishing up now) so that is points in her favor as well. The TV thing was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. It was just the difference in attitude about it between DW and I that got me wondering about others opinions.

We actually will have her come back and do some more work for us in a little while and we would have no problem recommending her, but whomever we mention her to we will let them know about the TV and let them make up their own minds about how important that is to them.

You are definitely a more trusting soul than I am. I wouldn't leave anyone at my house working unless I knew them personally and knew their ethics. I'd say they should be there to work not play with your toys.

i say you should hire licia to sit there and give them dirty looks and occasional growls if they take long breaks...

Now that the horse is out of the barn, so to speak, perhaps the next time you have a contractor in your home and you can't be there, it might be wise to close and lock the doors to the room(s) that shouldn't be disturbed. Of course, if the work will be done in a room with some of your toys, then that's another issue.

For over 30 years, I lived in an area that was filled with potential for dishonest workers, so I never left anyone alone in my home.

However, here, the climate is waaaaaaay different. Believe it or not, many people still don't lock their doors when they go to the store, etc. But, this is a rare place.

I still have a hesitation to leaving someone on their own in my home, but I'm getting more trusting because of the integrity of the folks in my area. Although, I do continue to be at home when work is done, but I'm discreet about where I am while the workers are doing their jobs.

We have an open floor plan. The room with the TV does not have a door. There is no way for us to lock anyone out of that room unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom