"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2005, 12:20 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Ever hear of "Steak Black and Bleu" (that is spelled correct)? Basically, it means cooks that thing on the hottest part of the grill, carbonizing the outside while leaving the inside cold raw. I've done it, but honestly, I prefer my steaks a nice medium.

The first real restaurant I worked in (not counting fast food), they used to tell me that they had a regular that would call his order in during the afternoon, and take a ribeye, lay it out at room temp, cover it, and he would be in a few hours later. When he arrived, plate it, put sides on it, garnish, and send it out completely raw. Luckily, I never had that order come in while I worked there.

The first country club I worked in, the President of the Board (at that time), was a real easy-going man, while his wife was the entirely opposite end of the spectrum. He had a particular way he liked his side-salad prepared, lettuce, shredded cheese, croutons, bacon bits, and chopped egg. It got to the point that waitstaff would come in and just tell the Cold Side person to make a "Phil Special" (his first name was Phil). That order became very popular with the membership, in fact, so popular, that the Chef put it on the menu as a "Phil Salad". Well, his wife became so insanely jealous, that she made her husband use his influence to make the chef put something on the menu with her name on it (an ego thing). She liked to order an open-face hamburger, topped with salad mix, and then some Bleu Cheese dressing over that. Thus, the "Denni Burger" was born. Only two people ever ate the thing, her, and one of friends. Oddly enough, she usually ordered a different item, a vegetarian sandwich, without onions, sub bacon, with a side of pineapple, or pineapples and strawberries.

Just tonight, I had someone order a Caesar, no croutons, add cabbage, onion, and tomatoes. Go figure.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:56 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI

The first real restaurant I worked in (not counting fast food), they used to tell me that they had a regular that would call his order in during the afternoon, and take a ribeye, lay it out at room temp, cover it, and he would be in a few hours later. When he arrived, plate it, put sides on it, garnish, and send it out completely raw. Luckily, I never had that order come in while I worked there.

The first country club I worked in, the President of the She liked to order an open-face hamburger, topped with salad mix, and then some Bleu Cheese dressing over that. Thus, the "Denni Burger" was born. Only two people ever ate the thing, her, and one of friends.
i dunno if i'd want a raw steak, lol! my former professor used to say she'd eat raw burger w/ onions in it when she was young. i do like my carpaccio!
the denni burger made me laugh. a litlle place we go to for wings has a denny burger. it's good, too!

Old 07-10-2005, 01:16 AM   #13
Head Chef

I'm learning to order a little bit off the menu - it's a bit scary!

You Chef's are intimidating!

My best friend, however, seems to be allergic to garlic. (makes me cringe - I love the stuff!) but we have to ask every where we go if there is garlic in the dish she wants to order! Or if there is garlic in the dressing. Generaly there is some garlic in everything!

In that respect I think the culinary world has gone a bit too far! Though I love it - garlic does not make everything better! Most of us do not live in Gilroy!

Generally what I ask for, though is half orders. I'm getting braver, though! Look Out!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:24 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindatooo
My best friend, however, seems to be allergic to garlic. (makes me cringe - I love the stuff!) but we have to ask every where we go if there is garlic in the dish she wants to order! Or if there is garlic in the dressing. Generaly there is some garlic in everything!

In that respect I think the culinary world has gone a bit too far! Though I love it - garlic does not make everything better! Most of us do not live in Gilroy!
You can blame Emerill for that.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:28 AM   #15
Head Chef

I agree, but so many people forget that he is an entertainer!

40 probably = 4 and to serve many people! Or to get a rise!

Was he the first chef to introduce garlic mashed potatoes and I LOVE garlic!

Old 07-10-2005, 09:14 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Well, I have seen it from another point of view. My coworker is a fussy eater. She likes certain combinations and things cooked a certain way. She always tells the people what she wants, and in return, she gets what she wants. Like she says, she's paying for something that she should be able to enjoy, so she's going to tell them what that may be. I kind of admire that she stands up for herself and tells them what she wants, instead of eating (or not eating) something that you paid for because it's no longer appealing to you.

BC
Old 07-10-2005, 10:07 AM   #17
Master Chef

As a non-fussy person with no food allergies, going to restaurants with terribly fussy folk simply isn't fun, so I'd rather stay home. If it's a necessity, though, you learn to live with it. My mom had terrible diverticulitis for years and that makes for some really odd requests. There's only so much they can do for you in places that are chains and have really set ideas of what they'll put out, but in better restaurants the chef would often come out and talk to her, then invent a dish just for her ... she often would make the mistake of saying she was a vegetarian because she couldn't eat meat, but, in fact she could eat stocks and gravies. But she couldn't eat seeds, nuts, or dairy products, and of course seeds and nuts are central to vegetarian cooking and were worse for her than meat. It was all very crazy. We were grateful for the chefs who took the time to make special dishes for her. But whether it's pure fussiness or illness/allergies, it sure takes the fun out of the experience. I'm always thinking, why is this person even going out to begin with if the only think s/he can eat is on their pantry shelf in a can?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #18
Hospitality Queen

Remember the movie
"When Harry met Sally"? Everything on the side. Quite funny.

My MIL orders everything well done. Absolutely everything.

My sister has a severe cinnamon allergy (anyone ever heard of that?) that makes her ask if certain things have it in it. The good part is that she's really easy going about it. For example, we were at Starbucks and she ordered the blueberry scone. One taste and she said, "oh, man - cinnamon" :(
Sooo.....guess who just "had" to finish it for her? ;)
She also can't digest meat (can have chicken broth only) which makes her quite sad. We were out at SoupPlantation (same as SweetTomatoes), and she asked someone on the staff if their clam chowder had any meat of any sort. They said there was not. After a bite or two, she got ill. There was bacon in it. The next time we went, there was a sign saying "NON vegetarian clam chowder" over it.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
My friend ALWAYS orders as if HE is the only person in the place. Could you change...... without this..... on the side..... Dear LORD! I hate when he does that! EVERYTIME! You can tell it drives the servers nuts.

As for me, I order my beef rare if I think the place has fresh meat. Blue cheese and beef are WONDERFUL together!!!
Also, it would be great if there was a perfume that had a scent of coffee or grilled meat or bacon!!!! Come on guys you KNOW that would rock!
Old 07-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Remember the movie
"When Harry met Sally"? Everything on the side. Quite funny.
Thanks for the reminder. We actually do have a couple that come in, every Saturday, like clockwork, almost always get the liver (bleck!), with 1/4" fries (most places serve 3/8") cooked very crispy, EVERYTHING on the side.

What's really interesting, is that we have another couple that comes in, same day, and almost always, they are the last ones to order. I think they wait for a couple hours just to make sure they are the last to order! And, they usually order something cheap, or just a couple of appetizers.