"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Master Chef

I, too, have become very, very cautious around children, even those I know and some I am related to. It is a shame that you have to be that way any more. Occasionally one of my sibs or their spouses will try to insist a niece or nephew hug me when they'd obviously prefer not. I quietly tell the sib that the poor child does not know me. I see these kids once a year. The children in their late teens, OK, if they want to give me a hug, fine. But especially when they were younger, don't force the issue. Since I now live in a quite small town, my neighbors' children know me and know that if stuck and they see me around town, I can help out. But otherwise it isn't safe to approach a child any more, intentions can be so misinterpreted.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If I wave "Hi" at a cutie, I don't expect a wave back or anything, I am a stranger after all. If I get a smile, I am thrilled. But, I do this all from a safe distance...safe for the child and with their parents near.

Like Claire, I never force myself on children or pets, they will come around when they are ready.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I have just read this and it is shocking!

As Andy said earlier, they are monsters these people

I am so pleased to hear that the little girl is safe and sound...

It certainly is a scary world
Old 07-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
Executive Chef

EU Missing Children Cases

Buon Giorno,

There are uncountable cases on our side of the globe too ... Sevilla and Huelva in Spain; The Little British Girl who was kidnapped from her bed in Algarve, Portugal and the grown up young woman from Austria, who is now writing a book about her misfortunate and horrible ordeal.

The problem is that these kidnappers are MENTALLY ILL.

The best piece of advice to provide your grandchildren and children with is; NEVER TALK TO, NEVER GO WITH AND NEVER TAKE CANDY OR FOOD FROM STRANGERS ... This should be instilled and taught as part of the school programming.

The penal system in Spain particularly does not punish to fit the crime, and it is a revolving door ... However, thanks to the Sevillian couple, who had a daughter named Marta of 17 or so, who was killed by an ex boyfriend, his brother and a friend. Her body was dismantled and thrown either in the Famous Guadaquilvir River, or buried and only this one jailed terrible juvenile deliquent knows where ... The parents of the dead girl, went to the Office of the President asking that he be given a life sentence for what he had done ... The Judge and Jury followed with a life long sentence, the 1st in Spain in 35 years !!!

Well, this subject makes me extremely saddened, that there are pyschos on this planet who are capable of destroying the lives of others.

Barbara, and Colleague Members: thanks for all the posts.

Ciao &
Happy 4th,
Margi.

Tags
kids