"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Stupid question, but is the feeder better off in a flower garden? in the middle of the lawn? hanging in a tree? or does it not make a difference ? just curious, because i want to make sure im placing it in the most ideal location
my feeder is 1 ft from the window , hanging from the gutter , on a long string and a hook . I had it on a pole but the stupid squirrel would climb the pole and drink from the feeder.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Mine is on a post right out the back door on the patio. Very high traffic... but those little birds have no fear! They do fly-bys on us.... thats fun!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
Head Chef

Maybe ill bring mine closer to the house then. I really have nothing to lose since ive only seen 1 in the past 10 years. When do they start ariving ( im in new york) ?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

There's a website where you can track the migration....
BRB I'll see if I can find it...
But usually I see them around May 1 here in the frozen tundra.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Hummingbird Migration Maps

found it.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Stupid question, but is the feeder better off in a flower garden? in the middle of the lawn? hanging in a tree? or does it not make a difference ? just curious, because i want to make sure im placing it in the most ideal location
Put it where you want to put it somewhere where you can watch them from in the house. And yes they are fearless once they get used to you. It's fun when they buzz right past your head. Just be sure to clean feeder well before each refill find a brush that will fit inside so you can clean it well. Also never ever give them honey in their water it will kill them as they develop a tongue fungus. No food coloring is needed either the feeder will attract them. If one feeder gets covered up with birds it's time to get another and another and another. Gets to be a pain sometimes refilling all those feeders if you get as many birds as I do. Don't worry about leaving feeder out too long when it gets colder they know when to migrate and the feeder will be a nice pit stop for the few that are still passing through on their way down south. I keep a feeder out even in September for them when I don't see any for two weeks or more I take it down.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Hummingbirds won't eat :(

I've never had trouble with getting the hummingbirds to eat, but just last week I put up a new feeder and I've not seen any eat out of it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?
Cindy
Old 07-03-2008, 01:49 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Larry-- I live in westren NY and we put ours out a couple of weeks ago, we have at least four that come to ours which is on a pole just outside our front window. They are definately fun to watch.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:08 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

My feeder is on the patio and they feed year round here...Once they get to know you they will come and try to drink as your hanging up the feeder. They will also drink from the hose as you water...I make my solution weak and this brings them back more often to feed..I cup water to two teaspoons sugar...does the trick.
kadesma
Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Ive also had feeders up the past 10 years, and the only humming bird I ever had was one that i saw on my cana lily flower. Ive since planted a load of flowers and will set up the feeder among them and see what happens.
I had a feeder for years, hanging by a wire right outside my kitchen window. Then I moved and planted a garden with lots of blooming things. The hummers now visit the flowers and I no longer use the feeder.