Hummingbird feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeninga75

Sous Chef
I set up a feeder just like this (could you imagine that many birds at 1 feeder!) I've been in the same location, 3 summers in a row. Past 2 years I set up the feeder when it starts getting warm with no problems. I use plain water and sugar, no coloring. I use enough sugar til the water gets thick and won't hold anymore sugar... Hummingbirds galore...

This year I do the same thing. (I buy new feeders every year) When I put it up I would get a bunch of birds everyday. I check it every day and change it when I see it's getting a little cloudy. So 1 day I see a bird come up and as I watch, it just flies off withought even taking a taste. Ok, no biggie, just wasnt hungry as he thought... well, this has happenned a bunch of times now. I've even changed the sugar water after a bird didn't drink and a while later another showed up and did the same thing...

Sorry about the long post but I want to know why the birds won't drink.:( I love watching them as well as making sure they get enough to eat.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

sounds like wayyyyyy too much sugar.
All you need is 4 parts water 1 part sugar.... I do 2 cups water, boil it, add 1/2 cup sugar, let it cool. Usually gone in a week and a half.
Coloring not needed.

Holy schmikeys! That's a spectacular photo!

I can't offer advice, because I've been faithfully putting up a hummingbird feeder every year for 15 years and have probably seen 2 (though one of those may have been a dragonfly that I saw out of the corner of my eye).

I love hummingbirds and am determined to get them in my yard. Maybe I should try a feeder like yours.

Good luck, jeninga!

Lee

DH took one look at the birds and said "that is WAY photo-shopped".
It would have to be because hummers are very territorial and I dont think that many would put up with each other at the same time!
I wouldn't eat in a crowd like that at my plate either!
:)

sounds like wayyyyyy too much sugar.
All you need is 4 parts water 1 part sugar.... I do 2 cups water, boil it, add 1/2 cup sugar, let it cool. Usually gone in a week and a half.
Coloring not needed.

Ok, I'll try that. I don't know what else it could be. Like I said I've always done enough sugar to saturate the water and I've had plenty of birds. I'm willing to try anything though cause I want my little hummingbirds. :(

Ive also had feeders up the past 10 years, and the only humming bird I ever had was one that i saw on my cana lily flower. Ive since planted a load of flowers and will set up the feeder among them and see what happens.

What I have gotten was a great Blue heron that decided to land in my pond and eat my fish and frogs. What i dont understand is why it didnt fly one mile north to the ocean where it has a much better selection of things to eat. I gues easy pickins in a small pond, but they must have great eyesight to pick up my little pond from way up there.

DW says 4 cups (1 quart) water...one cup sugar. Lots of visitors, but only one or two at a time.
:) It is four parts water to one part sugar you can add a little more sugar if you want I don't boil mine because the birds go through it so quick. The boiling keeps it from getting bacteria. I have 7 feeders two of them over a quart size and I'm constantly filling them. In the summer I swear I get to over a hundred hummers ( broad tail) especially once the Rufous Hummers get here that's when the sugar war begins. I usually go through 100# plus sugar. I do like to mix my mix an hour or two ahead so the sugar can dissolve..

Stupid question, but is the feeder better off in a flower garden? in the middle of the lawn? hanging in a tree? or does it not make a difference ? just curious, because i want to make sure im placing it in the most ideal location

Stupid question, but is the feeder better off in a flower garden? in the middle of the lawn? hanging in a tree? or does it not make a difference ? just curious, because i want to make sure im placing it in the most ideal location

my feeder is 1 ft from the window , hanging from the gutter , on a long string and a hook :LOL: . I had it on a pole but the stupid squirrel would climb the pole and drink from the feeder. :mad:

Mine is on a post right out the back door on the patio. Very high traffic... but those little birds have no fear! They do fly-bys on us.... thats fun!

Maybe ill bring mine closer to the house then. I really have nothing to lose since ive only seen 1 in the past 10 years. When do they start ariving ( im in new york) ?

There's a website where you can track the migration....
BRB I'll see if I can find it...
But usually I see them around May 1 here in the frozen tundra.

:) Put it where you want to put it somewhere where you can watch them from in the house. And yes they are fearless once they get used to you. It's fun when they buzz right past your head. Just be sure to clean feeder well before each refill find a brush that will fit inside so you can clean it well. Also never ever give them honey in their water it will kill them as they develop a tongue fungus. No food coloring is needed either the feeder will attract them. If one feeder gets covered up with birds it's time to get another and another and another:LOL:. Gets to be a pain sometimes refilling all those feeders if you get as many birds as I do. Don't worry about leaving feeder out too long when it gets colder they know when to migrate and the feeder will be a nice pit stop for the few that are still passing through on their way down south. I keep a feeder out even in September for them when I don't see any for two weeks or more I take it down.

Hummingbirds won't eat :(

I've never had trouble with getting the hummingbirds to eat, but just last week I put up a new feeder and I've not seen any eat out of it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?
Cindy

Larry-- I live in westren NY and we put ours out a couple of weeks ago, we have at least four that come to ours which is on a pole just outside our front window. They are definately fun to watch.

My feeder is on the patio and they feed year round here...Once they get to know you they will come and try to drink as your hanging up the feeder. They will also drink from the hose as you water...I make my solution weak and this brings them back more often to feed..I cup water to two teaspoons sugar...does the trick.
kadesma:)

Ive also had feeders up the past 10 years, and the only humming bird I ever had was one that i saw on my cana lily flower. Ive since planted a load of flowers and will set up the feeder among them and see what happens.

I had a feeder for years, hanging by a wire right outside my kitchen window. Then I moved and planted a garden with lots of blooming things. The hummers now visit the flowers and I no longer use the feeder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom