"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Hummingbird feeder

I set up a feeder just like this (could you imagine that many birds at 1 feeder!) I've been in the same location, 3 summers in a row. Past 2 years I set up the feeder when it starts getting warm with no problems. I use plain water and sugar, no coloring. I use enough sugar til the water gets thick and won't hold anymore sugar... Hummingbirds galore...

This year I do the same thing. (I buy new feeders every year) When I put it up I would get a bunch of birds everyday. I check it every day and change it when I see it's getting a little cloudy. So 1 day I see a bird come up and as I watch, it just flies off withought even taking a taste. Ok, no biggie, just wasnt hungry as he thought... well, this has happenned a bunch of times now. I've even changed the sugar water after a bird didn't drink and a while later another showed up and did the same thing...

Sorry about the long post but I want to know why the birds won't drink. I love watching them as well as making sure they get enough to eat.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DrollYankeesHappy8LargeHummingbirdFeeder.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	4487  

Old 07-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
sounds like wayyyyyy too much sugar.
All you need is 4 parts water 1 part sugar.... I do 2 cups water, boil it, add 1/2 cup sugar, let it cool. Usually gone in a week and a half.
Coloring not needed.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Master Chef

I do same as suzi... too much sugar is not good for the hummers.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Head Chef

Holy schmikeys! That's a spectacular photo!

I can't offer advice, because I've been faithfully putting up a hummingbird feeder every year for 15 years and have probably seen 2 (though one of those may have been a dragonfly that I saw out of the corner of my eye).

I love hummingbirds and am determined to get them in my yard. Maybe I should try a feeder like yours.

Good luck, jeninga!

Lee
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
DH took one look at the birds and said "that is WAY photo-shopped".
It would have to be because hummers are very territorial and I dont think that many would put up with each other at the same time!
I wouldn't eat in a crowd like that at my plate either!
:)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
sounds like wayyyyyy too much sugar.
All you need is 4 parts water 1 part sugar.... I do 2 cups water, boil it, add 1/2 cup sugar, let it cool. Usually gone in a week and a half.
Coloring not needed.
Ok, I'll try that. I don't know what else it could be. Like I said I've always done enough sugar to saturate the water and I've had plenty of birds. I'm willing to try anything though cause I want my little hummingbirds.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Head Chef

Ive also had feeders up the past 10 years, and the only humming bird I ever had was one that i saw on my cana lily flower. Ive since planted a load of flowers and will set up the feeder among them and see what happens.

What I have gotten was a great Blue heron that decided to land in my pond and eat my fish and frogs. What i dont understand is why it didnt fly one mile north to the ocean where it has a much better selection of things to eat. I gues easy pickins in a small pond, but they must have great eyesight to pick up my little pond from way up there.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

DW says 4 cups (1 quart) water...one cup sugar. Lots of visitors, but only one or two at a time.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
DW says 4 cups (1 quart) water...one cup sugar. Lots of visitors, but only one or two at a time.
It is four parts water to one part sugar you can add a little more sugar if you want I don't boil mine because the birds go through it so quick. The boiling keeps it from getting bacteria. I have 7 feeders two of them over a quart size and I'm constantly filling them. In the summer I swear I get to over a hundred hummers ( broad tail) especially once the Rufous Hummers get here that's when the sugar war begins. I usually go through 100# plus sugar. I do like to mix my mix an hour or two ahead so the sugar can dissolve..
Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
Head Chef

Stupid question, but is the feeder better off in a flower garden? in the middle of the lawn? hanging in a tree? or does it not make a difference ? just curious, because i want to make sure im placing it in the most ideal location