Hunting Season starts in Michigan's UP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
It's morel hunting season. Anyone know where I can get some good morel decoys? I'm looking for something really lifelike, you know, to draw them in.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Please be warned goodweed we want no pics of dead morels posted here (sorry pds but you know I HAD to say it).

Yes, we're heading up shortly to hunt for Morels up in the UP. We usually manage to "bag" a few every year...

We don't use decoys though, we prefer to bait for them...

John

My method of choice is a "live trap" it is more humane. The fresh ones are so much more tasty than the dead dry ones. Good hunting everyone!!:ermm:

Well, I went into the woods, in search of the elusive morel. I put out some morel bait and set up my morel blind. I had with me my trusty Mossberg 20 gauge, with full choke and light bird shot. And I wated. Then, just as I was starting to get discouraged, I remembered that I had forgontten to put out the morel decoys, with pheremone attractant.

It didn't take long after that. A scant ten minutes elapsed before the biggest bull morel came out of the woods, and headed straight for the bait. He didn't even look at the decoy. But the shot was too far. The light shotgun load just wouldn't pack enough energy. I was afraid of wounding him.

To draw him in, I pulled my prized morel caller. It's a lot like a turkey caller, but makes a sound like "whoot, whoot". In any case, that did the trick. That big bull headed toward me.

Now I don't know if you're ever encountered a live morel coming straight at you, but I can tell you, it gives you a whole new perspective on the value of life.

That bull morel was only about seven feet distant when I pulled the trigger. The end of the shotgun jumped micro-seconds after the shot left the barrel. It didnt' even make the morel blink. The behemoth bore down on me with lightning speed. I curled into a ball, expecting to get malled at any moment. But then, I heard the tell tale scream of a primal creature. That got the beasts attention. It halted scant inches away form me. I could smell it's earthy aroma.

I opened one eye just in time to see this man, more ape that human it seemed, swing down from a branch, using the tale of a python to propell himself toward the gigantic and dangerous morel. I felt him land with a thump upon its broad back. I witnessed the flash of sharp steel as it drove downward, again and again, spearing the life from this dangerous fungi. And then, finally, it was over nearly as fast as it had begun. The morel was dead.

I said to the man-beast "Thank you. You saved my life."
He replied "It was my pleasure Goodweed."
"How do you know my name?"
"Because we have shared a recipe or two, from DC..."

All right kids, help me complete this short story. Fill in the blanks as to who my savior was, and why he saved me from the ever dangerous Morel.

Oh, in real life, I found no morels my first time out, But I caught five brook trout, three of which were too small, so I carefull removed the hook and threw them back, apparently no worse from their ordeal. The two I kept, well they sure made a great lunch.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Wow, G'weed. It was a near thing. I'll wait for "the rest of the story." Jack London couldn't have done a better job.

The person who swung down must have been Tarzan of the Grapes, hero of the Simi Valley.

Can't wait for the next installment.

kitchenelf said:
Please be warned goodweed we want no pics of dead morels posted here (sorry pds but you know I HAD to say it).

LOL! Don't worry! No trophy photos this year! All excitement and pride will be kept secret. ;) ;)

Goodweed of the North said:
Oh, in real life, I found no morels my first time out, But I caught five brook trout, three of which were too small, so I carefull removed the hook and threw them back, apparently no worse from their ordeal. The two I kept, well they sure made a great lunch.

Goodweed! Why are you hunting for Morels in the stream?????? :-p

John

Don't look at me. I have no morels.:-p

Wabbit Season! Duck Season!

Last edited:
Oooooooooooooo, this is a cwazy bunch! Now evwybody just be quiet. I'm hunting mowels. Hahahahahahahaha. A hunting we will go. A hunting we will go, hi-how the daiwyoh, a hunting we will go.

Now where di that cwazy mowell go? Here little mowel. I got a big juicy steak for you. (mowel's love to sit on steaks, hehehehehehehe.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom