Hurricane Joaquin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
Many of you know that I lived in the Bahamas for a bit over 2 years. We lived on Long Island, and that is one of the islands which has been devastated by Hurricane Joaquin. I am asking my friends here to mention in their prayers the poor folks down there who have lost everything to this horrific storm. so far only one death has been reported, but that could change as there is little concrete information coming out of the island so far because they have lost all power, all phone service, and only a couple of residents have satellite phones for 4000 people to use to try and contact loved ones on other islands or here in the States.

Long Island, Bahamas is a rural community, many of the people there are just getting by in the best of times. Nobody carries hurricane insurance because the cost is prohibitive (my wife and I couldn't even afford it, and we are much better off than most of the local people) The category 4 storm sat on top of the island for more than 36 hours with 140 mph sustained winds, and gusts up to 150 mph. Many of the hardest hit toward the poorer south end of the island were people who have little more than their homes to begin with, just fishermen and farmers, and now most of them have lost everything.

Please help with your prayers for these wonderful people who have been dealt such a terrible blow.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry it was so bad. I was wondering how people there were doing. The news said that part of the Bahamas is lightly populated, but that's no consolation to the people who do live there. I hope the Red Cross or a similar organization will be able to bring help soon.

I'm so sorry it was so bad. I was wondering how people there were doing. The news said that part of the Bahamas is lightly populated, but that's no consolation to the people who do live there. I hope the Red Cross or a similar organization will be able to bring help soon.

For the US news media, it only matters if it's a US disaster. As soon as the hurricane track missed the US, the whole thing disappeared from the media, no matter that at least 4 of the Family Islands of the Bahamas, home to 10,000 to 15,000 people, have been decimated. Not even a report of the Red Cross rushing aid to the area. Just isn't important enough for them to get publicity from.

Sorry if I sound cynical, but we sat through a direct hit from Hurricane Sandy in our house and never a peep about our island on the news, yet New Jersey had the media's complete attention for a week or more.

This storm is so much worse because it was moving so slowly (3-5 mph), the eye hanging right offshore for nearly 48 hours as it intensified from 120 mph winds to over 140. Sandy blew through at a forward speed of 20-25 mph with 120 mph winds and was gone in about 4 hours. Even after Sandy it was more than 2 weeks before the entire island had power again. I can't imagine how much worse this one is.

Just got word a minute ago that two of our friends there lost their house and one car to the storm tides. Normal tidal levels are about 2 feet, the storm tide was over 6 feet, with 8-10 foot waves on top of it.

We took our first trip to Cozumel back in 2005, two months after Hurricane Wilma had totally trashed the island. Wilma also stayed there for a few days, swirling and doing her damage. Houses, restaurants, hotels, mucho damage. The Cozumeluenos are amazing people, they brought the island back. The reefs are still recovering.

Island people are very resilient. Hope your friends and neighbors can get some relief.

Last edited:
This is just devastating for the islanders - sending heartfelt thoughts and prayers to all affected by this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom