Hyperhidrosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeninga75

Sous Chef
I've been on this site for a while now and I feel comfortable enough that I can put this out there and ask for help/advice.

I have axillary hyperhidrosis. In other words, I sweat excessivly from my armpits no matter what the temp. I can be standing outside in a teeshirt in 30 degree weather and I'm pouring sweat from my armpits. It started when I was about 20 and has not yet gone away. My mom had it when she was about 16 and it was gone when she was 20 or 21. It has been shown to be hereditory.

I have tried a prescription deodorant called Drysol but after years of use it's lost it's effectivness. There is a surgery but after much research I've found there to be too many side effects ranging from losing sensation in the hand and arm to paralysis.

I've been reading up on the use of Botox for results from not working at all to being symptom free for up to 6 months. I'm not sure about whether insurance covers this or not since I guess it would be considered cosmetic.

Does anyone else out there suffer from this? How do you deal with it? Did it go away on it's own like with my mom? Has anyone gone through any other treatment other than the Rx deodorant? Surgery? Botox?

Please PM me if you don't want to post in this thread. I'm getting to the point of desperation.

My husband and both me DDs sweat excessively, hubby and youngest DD are like you. It doesn't matter what the temp is they sweat. Hubby and younger DD are using the clinical strenght over the counter stuff, that's working for now. Oldest DD is using drysol. I'll have to let her know that after using it awhile it looses it effect. I don't know if changing to the over the counter stuff would work or not, but you could try.

Gillette's Clinical Strength is pretty good..........it's not cheap.......about $8 an applicator........but it works for me.........I can just imagine what you must go thru............my husband sweats a lot, too........and he finds the Gillette CS to work.......unfortunately he's allergic to a lot of things...........

I've been on this site for a while now and I feel comfortable enough that I can put this out there and ask for help/advice.

I have axillary hyperhidrosis. In other words, I sweat excessivly from my armpits no matter what the temp. I can be standing outside in a teeshirt in 30 degree weather and I'm pouring sweat from my armpits. It started when I was about 20 and has not yet gone away. My mom had it when she was about 16 and it was gone when she was 20 or 21. It has been shown to be hereditory.

I have tried a prescription deodorant called Drysol but after years of use it's lost it's effectivness. There is a surgery but after much research I've found there to be too many side effects ranging from losing sensation in the hand and arm to paralysis.

I've been reading up on the use of Botox for results from not working at all to being symptom free for up to 6 months. I'm not sure about whether insurance covers this or not since I guess it would be considered cosmetic.

Does anyone else out there suffer from this? How do you deal with it? Did it go away on it's own like with my mom? Has anyone gone through any other treatment other than the Rx deodorant? Surgery? Botox?

Please PM me if you don't want to post in this thread. I'm getting to the point of desperation.
:)
:) I am so sorry you have this problem I don't have the same problem you have where you have it but I have sweaty feet and like you it can be really cold and my feet still sweat, did not have that problem until I turned about forty years old. Don't be uncomfortable about it, I'm not it's just a fact I hate it I have to wear socks to absorb the sweat even with sandals. I don't buy any shoes that you wear barefoot unless I can wash them so no suede bottoms etc. None of the powders work as they just turn slimy from the sweat and it makes my feet get really dry and cracked. For me it's a no win situation however I am always looking for a solution. I have tried bleach, vinegar and tea soaks but of course they don't address the sweating thing my feet don't really stink as I keep them clean I just wish they did not sweat so much because when I do wear sandals the dirt just attracts and makes my feet really dirty.

My husband and both me DDs sweat excessively, hubby and youngest DD are like you. It doesn't matter what the temp is they sweat. Hubby and younger DD are using the clinical strenght over the counter stuff, that's working for now. Oldest DD is using drysol. I'll have to let her know that after using it awhile it looses it effect. I don't know if changing to the over the counter stuff would work or not, but you could try.

It took 5 or 6 years for the Drysol to lose effect so encourage DD use it til the day it doesn't. I was thrilled when I discovered it. Life was normal. I could go shopping and buy whatever color and style shirt I wanted. I figured I would outgrow the condition way before the Drysol stopped working. Over the counter stuff doesn't work after the Drysol stopped. Believe me when I say I've tried every brand out there.

It took 5 or 6 years for the Drysol to lose effect so encourage DD use it til the day it doesn't. I was thrilled when I discovered it. Life was normal. I could go shopping and buy whatever color and style shirt I wanted. I figured I would outgrow the condition way before the Drysol stopped working. Over the counter stuff doesn't work after the Drysol stopped. Believe me when I say I've tried every brand out there.

I'm sorry you this you have to deal with. Is it possible that, once you have not used Drysol for a while, your body will have lost its resistence to it and it could be effective again?

I'm sorry you this you have to deal with. Is it possible that, once you have not used Drysol for a while, your body will have lost its resistence to it and it could be effective again?
I was just wondering the same thing.

:huh:Barbara
P.S. You may have already seen this site, but they list some alternatives to surgery (including Botox, as you mentioned): http://www.medicinenet.com/hyperhidrosis/article.htm

Last edited:
Ya, I went about 6 months and used it again and it didn't work. Even got a fresh bottle.

Well, if anyone runs into anyone who has had success with anythng and this thread dies, PM me.

Have you tried the new prescription strength? It's like $8 for it, but, if it works for a little while, to get your body over the drysol, then go back to it. Like Andy said. A lot of things will work again after the body is clear of it.
Secret Clinical Strength | Prescription Strength Deodorant
Grooming and Shaving Tips - Gillette.com

Jeninga, what a crappy problem! I work with a couple of folks with this problem and they like the Secret clinical strength. One of them also swears by Mitchum. Not that this will solve anything for you, but I think you can buy armpit shields to wear that will help a bit.

I also heard something about laser therapy. I'll go see if I can find that info for you. Here it is. Hope the link works. There is another article, but its not available without a subscription so I don't think the link will work. Sorry!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom