I Am Adopted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see, I just looked at her profile and found this out too. Thank you. I think the whole eastern block was messed up that way.

Yes, I am from Brasov, Romania. In Romania and in Ukraine, adopted children are not very welcomed into the society. You are right, CharlieD. I do thank God I am alive, for there was a time for me when that might not have been.

I was thrown away in a trash can when I was 2 or 3 days old. A man while walking his dog found me and put me to the hospital. I do not have any papers of my birth. All I have are the adoption papers my parents were required to have for me. January 3 may not be my real birthday. The hospital had to estimate this. Mamma said I was cold and sick when I was received to the hospital. The hospital also records that I was born before the nine months of pregnancy.

It took the hospital three months to make me healthy. Mamma was visiting to her brother, my Uncle Nicu, at the hospital and she would go to the section where the babies are to look at them and to wish she had a baby. She found me there. No one wanted me and I was to go to an orphanage. She told Papa of me, and they began the process to adopt me. Mamma and Papa have never understood how someone would be able to throw away a baby. Papa sometimes has the tears also of hearing a baby was thrown away. Mamma cannot speak of that very much, for it hurts her.

I am very sure that all of you are wonderful parents and you are very great people. You have shown this to me, and I am very grateful. I would like to say that if you could meet Mamma, Papa, and DA, you would know of them to be very wonderful parents and very great people just like you are.

I only have one thing to regret. I do not know who the man who found me was. I never had the opportunity to thank him for saving me. Mamma and Papa put notices in the newspapers to look for him, but no one answered to them. But I know that God knows who he is, and I always pray for this man.

I have two families now! My new family is here! I am very happy. I hope the African adoption goes very well. I wish all of you all the best in this life.

Your friend,
~Cat

Cat is from Romania, Charlie.

Was she born in Romania, or that is where her family is from and where she grew up? I'm just wondering if that is what the adoption stigma is over there, perhaps not being from where your family is from. Like if you were born in Georgia but adopted in the Ukraine.

Last edited:
Hope you can find the man who rescued you from that trashcan, Cat. What a horrible thing to do to a baby, puppy, kitten, any living thing!

Mamma and Papa put many notices in the papers but no one made a response.

I am grateful to this man. Yes, it is a terrible thing to do! I become very angry with puppies and kittens and babies being thrown away!

Life is much too precious to be thrown away. I was given a blessing of God to be here.

Your friend,
~Cat

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant to tell you that it is interesting that your mother found you in the hospital where your Uncle Nicu was being treated. You see in America a NICU is a neo-natal intensive care unit. It is a place where very sick newborn children are cared for.Well, I found it coincidental...or perhaps providential.

I meant to tell you that it is interesting that your mother found you in the hospital where your Uncle Nicu was being treated. You see in America a NICU is a neo-natal intensive care unit. It is a place where very sick newborn children are cared for.Well, I found it coincidental...or perhaps providential.

Those words put chills on me! I was in a special place for babies in danger. Oh I do not know what to say to this.

Thank you for this! I do love my uncle Nicu. Now I have words for his name which is very precious!

Thank you!
Your friend,
~Cat

Yes, I am from Brasov, Romania. In Romania and in Ukraine, adopted children are not very welcomed into the society. You are right, CharlieD. I do thank God I am alive, for there was a time for me when that might not have been.

I was thrown away in a trash can when I was 2 or 3 days old. A man while walking his dog found me and put me to the hospital. I do not have any papers of my birth. All I have are the adoption papers my parents were required to have for me. January 3 may not be my real birthday. The hospital had to estimate this. Mamma said I was cold and sick when I was received to the hospital. The hospital also records that I was born before the nine months of pregnancy.

It took the hospital three months to make me healthy. Mamma was visiting to her brother, my Uncle Nicu, at the hospital and she would go to the section where the babies are to look at them and to wish she had a baby. She found me there. No one wanted me and I was to go to an orphanage. She told Papa of me, and they began the process to adopt me. Mamma and Papa have never understood how someone would be able to throw away a baby. Papa sometimes has the tears also of hearing a baby was thrown away. Mamma cannot speak of that very much, for it hurts her.

I am very sure that all of you are wonderful parents and you are very great people. You have shown this to me, and I am very grateful. I would like to say that if you could meet Mamma, Papa, and DA, you would know of them to be very wonderful parents and very great people just like you are.

I only have one thing to regret. I do not know who the man who found me was. I never had the opportunity to thank him for saving me. Mamma and Papa put notices in the newspapers to look for him, but no one answered to them. But I know that God knows who he is, and I always pray for this man.

I have two families now! My new family is here! I am very happy. I hope the African adoption goes very well. I wish all of you all the best in this life.

Your friend,
~Cat
It seems that you were lucky in more ways than one. There were absolutely dreadful stories in the 1990s and early in this century about the conditions children were enduring in Roumanian orphanages largely due to the previous government's ban on contraception which had lead to large numbers of abandoned babies.

I'm glad that you found a happy home with loving parents.

Cat, we have a member of DC who has a little girl that she and her husband adopted. They celebrate as a family two separate days. Their daughter's birthday, and the day she was adopted and became their little girl legally. So you see, in this country, adoption is celebrated, not reviled. People who adopt children are very special people. We as Americans adopt children because it is the every child's birthright to be loved and wanted. And we know this. We cross all lines when it comes to adoption. It doesn't matter the race or from what ethnic group that baby may be from. If we have a home that has an empty place, then we take in that child and love it as if we carried it for nine months. We have parties for parents who are adopting a child. We celebrate adoption. It is a selfless act to do. We even have families that adopt only hard to place babies. Babies that are handicapped or have medical problems that would overwhelm the average person. We have families that adopt babies that are very sick and not going to live to adulthood. Yet they take that baby into their heart and home knowing that they will be burying it someday.

Yes Cat. We celebrate adoption. We encourage it. And when we hear of someone who has been adopted, we know that person has received extra love. :angel:

Last edited:
Thank you, my nice friends. Mamma has been reading this thread to evaluate the Americans' feelings of such things. She said it is better than she had hoped for.

She said she is glad that they decided to send me here inside her head, but inside her heart, she hurts. We miss each other very much. She said Papa came home last Monday from Constanta and was worried of me. He was on the boat and had a bad feeling of me. Poor Papa!

I wrote him a nice poem and mailed it to him along with a card to Mamma and my usual weekly letter. Maybe he will feel better with it.

It is true of the 1990s, atrocious things were happing in orphanages all across Romania and also in Albania and Ukraine. Bad things were occurring to babies also. There are many trash can babies in my former country, and most of them die.

I love these postings of great support and very good news. I hold all these words close in my heart. It is another of the wonders of this great nation and the members of this website, wherever you may live.

I certainly did receive extra love. Mamma could not bear thinking of me in one of those orphanages and it is why she and Papa took me. Orphanages were terrible. Some still are, but many of them have been changed for the better. Romania does not have the aid to give to places such as these as do the Americans.

Thank you, my friends!

Your friend,
~Cat

Cat,

I was also unable to have children of my own. I married a wonderful man with 3 kids. I think of them and the grandchildren as my own and our two adopted grandchildren are also in the same place in my heart. That's the nice thing about hearts...they have infinite space for love.

My Mother and Father also think of these grandchildren as their great-granchildren and they get the same love and care that Mom and Dad give to my brother and sister's kids.

My husband's ex-wife and her husband spend some holidays with us...we are one gigantic, happy family. Have been for over 30 years.

Your friend,
P.Fiona

Cat,

I was also unable to have children of my own. I married a wonderful man with 3 kids. I think of them and the grandchildren as my own and our two adopted grandchildren are also in the same place in my heart. That's the nice thing about hearts...they have infinite space for love.

My Mother and Father also think of these grandchildren as their great-granchildren and they get the same love and care that Mom and Dad give to my brother and sister's kids.

My husband's ex-wife and her husband spend some holidays with us...we are one gigantic, happy family. Have been for over 30 years.

Your friend,
P.Fiona

This is wonderful for you! You must be so very happy, and I know your family is happy with you. This is as it should be, I think?

My family loves me, and I love them so very much. I try to prove to them I am deserving of the love I receive by doing right things and trying my best.

I do make mistakes and no one is perfect, but love also comes along with forgiveness.

Your friend,
~Cat

Cat, thank you for trusting us here at DC with such a wonderful story of your loving Mamma, Papa and DA. To be loved and wanted is the best feeling in the entire world. And I think your parents were extra-special letting you move all the way to the U.S. and take care of your DA and become a U.S. citizen. It must have been difficult to let you go so far from them to make a better life for yourself. Maybe someday they'll be able to come see you here and experience all the wonders that your new country has to show.

Cat, thank you for trusting us here at DC with such a wonderful story of your loving Mamma, Papa and DA. To be loved and wanted is the best feeling in the entire world. And I think your parents were extra-special letting you move all the way to the U.S. and take care of your DA and become a U.S. citizen. It must have been difficult to let you go so far from them to make a better life for yourself. Maybe someday they'll be able to come see you here and experience all the wonders that your new country has to show.

But I thank you! I do trust my new family here. You are all so very nice to me and very loving and kind!

Yes, to be loved and to know Mamma and Papa wanted me is a feeling I sometimes am overwhelmed with. In Romania, becoming rescued from of a trash can does not mean the happy life. My parents were not happy of the decision to send one of our family to attend DA but they made the correct decision of their hearts.

I do try to be the responsible daughter. I owe my dearest family so very much. I shall succeed here in some way. I promise I shall!

Mamma did say last month that she and Papa may arrive here for Christmas. I pray so hard for this!

I have such riches here with DA. Every morning I can hug and kiss her. Through the day I am able to hold her hand at times and to rub her back when she feels the aches of it. In the evening before bedtime, I always hug her and tell her I do love her.

But I do know she is 94. And there are times at night when I feel alone and she is sleeping, I sneak to upstairs to her bedroom to listen to her as she breathes in her sleep. I am afraid of not hearing this one time.

Thank you all! Thank you for hearing me in this website. I pray God will bless everyone here.

Your friend,
~Cat

Cat,

Your friend,
P.Fiona

PF, I also did not bear children of my own, but raised 2 step-children in our home. My only grandchild is actually a step grandchild.

Your friend,
~Cat

Cat, this happens quite often in US. It's such a shame because it is very difficult for American families to find infants to adopt. By law, if you take an unwanted baby to a hospital or police department there will be no questions asked, you will not be prosecuted, but they still leave them in trash cans, and sometimes kill them instead of giving them for adoption. I don't understand it. I am so glad that you were rescued and eventually made your way to our forum. We are very happy to have you here.

PF, I also did not bear children of my own, but raised 2 step-children in our home. My only grandchild is actually a step grandchild.

I have five step-grandchildren. We made it easy and got rid of the "steps" and "adopted" labels.

My only Grand Daughter is engaged to be married. We learned this last night when we called to Colorado to make sure all are okay there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom