I am going to North Dakota, tomorrow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I have been called by my dispatch on the Tahoe National Forest to go to North Dakota to work in the Interagency Dispatch Center. I will be working there as a Support Dispatcher to assist the other dispatchers. I have been packing like crazy, paying bills, etc. all afternoon and evening. I have shipped my dog off to my parents. My flight from Reno, NV leaves at 11:30 am and I will arrive in Bismarck, ND at 9:30 pm. I hope that you all stay safe and well while I am gone. This is so exciting to go help out in another part of the country.

SC,
good luck and have a safe trip. Take care of yourself. Will miss you. See you when you get back..

kadesma:)

good luck and have a safe trip sc.

we'll keep your place, and keep the fires lit.

umm, wait. scratch that...

hurry back.

I'm sure they'll be glad to have you there. The upper Midwest is ripe for forest fires. Here in MN, we've got 13,000 some acres in the Boundry Waters Park area that's been burned (not sure if it is still burning). The severe storms over the last couple years that have been sweeping the Dakotas and MN have tumbled thousands of trees that are now dead and dry, and prime for fire. Great if the wood is processed and cut for a fireplace or stove, but not so good whole in the wild.

Our friends north of the border are in similar straights. I think it was a couple weeks ago or so, but a forest in Canada was burning and caused our air quality to fall, as well as turn what would have been a crystal clear day into a hazy, smokey day.

I'm glad you're excited.... but I've BEEN to North Dakota.

I hope it's all you hoped it would be.

(Not offense intended to the locals... but - - **long, slow whistle**)

Hello!! I am back from my fire assignment in North Dakota. I stayed two weeks on the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation at Fort Yates, ND. While I was there they have several fires that totaled over 11,000 acres. My duties where to help them with dispatching and ordering supplies and firefighting personnel. While I was there I got to see much of the local history. At Fort Lincoln I saw a replica of the house that Custer and his wife lived in before the Little Bighorn battle. I visited a Mandan village along the Missouri River. Near Fort Yates I saw where Sitting Bull was once buried. I had a great time, learned many things, and hopefully provided them some help.

I'm sure you were a great help, Sierra! I'm glad you had some fun free time, too. Welcome back--it's good to have you home!

Welcome home SC,
boy I've missed you. Sounds as if you were a lot os help but that you saw much of the points of interest. Would love to have been along:)

kadesma

I am glad to be back, too. It was great fun and it was nice of them to let me have some time here and there to do some sightseeing. I love to visit places that have such a rich history. On the reservation there is a herd of 300-400 hundred buffalo. What amazing animals. They can weigh up to 3-4 thousand pounds!! I have pictures and as soon as I can I will download them out of my camera.

Welcome home Sierra ! Glad to see it wasn't all work for you !!
It's really nice that you got some free time while you were there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom