I am not a happy man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm biting the bullet and going to get a loan to replace the furnace. It's past its prime by several years. Average life span for a furnace is about 20 years. I've got 27 on mine. Besides, tax breaks for next year will help offset the cost.

Seeeeeya: Goodweed of the North
Its a funny old world GW, your post prompted me to check on the age of our central heating boiler, we get a free health check from British Gas, it about the same age but although it works fine it is only 30% as efficient as a modern boiler which will save us 70% of our gas bills, the lady engineer was dead straight and told us to wait till july to buy the new one as there will be big summer reductions(no aircon needed) and the fitting will be prompt, she also explained that the savings on energy bills means I will recoup the capital outlay in two winters.

Everything on my existing furnace could be cleaned up and is already working, except for the part that failed. And that part just isn't available, anywhere. I've had three contractors search, as well as a very computer savvy SOL, and have put in many hours looking for the part myself. I've contacted the furnace manufacturer, and the manufacturer of the draft inducer that failed. I've also spoken with several knowledgeable friends.

That's why I'm replacing the furnace, and with a higher efficiency model.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of thh North

Have you talked with s/one who has a machine shop? My DH has "rewound" a number of motors (tractor, furnace blower, etc.). He takes copper wire and literally rewinds the motors (I don't understand what he does, but he makes broken motors/fans etc. work again. I'm a linguist...I can make words work but not motors <g>. If you were in Ontario, I'd suggest sending the part to him but you're not and I won't be driving through the Soo until July...). He's fixed all kinds of things--vacuums, snow blowers, bread machines, pressure washers, and furnace parts.

I appreciate that the bank is willing to give you a loan to replace the furnace, but according to my DH, the part that fails usually can be fixed, it is just that most places won't spend the time to do so. Yeah--our "disposible" society. But most things that "break" can be fixed...the problem is, most people don't know how to fix these things and shops can't be bothered. Find a person who does "little joe jobs" and see if the person will tinker with it...

Back
Top Bottom