"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Dr. House: You know how they say, "you can't live without love"? Well, oxygen is even more important.
Anytime I have had to call 911, it just seems like forever till they get here with the oxygen. Usually it is only about three minutes. The firehouse is just around the corner.

They have a state law here that everytime there is a heart related 911 call, the fire deparment has to respond. And with good reason. They always have oxygen, the equipment to break down a door if necessary and in the case of an elderly building, the same key that postmen have to get inside that fits all the mail boxes. and they are usually the closest. A great law that has saved many lives. And also every firefighter is trained in CPR. And usually one of them is a trained EMT. Everytime I hear just one fire engine, I know it is a medical call. A little prayer goes up to heaven that everything is all right for the patient.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I didn't know I would have a choice about the glasses. I am nearsighted in my right eye and my left eye is lazy. So I don't know how that will be resolved. It is obvious. I have to start making a list of questions before I agree to any surgery.

This is not good. In the past four hours, I have had to take three hits with the nitro spray just from getting upset. I need to calm myself down. Some deep breaths and self hypnosis are called for right now.
I have to laugh. At some point when I was a child, my little sister needed glasses. It was a muscle problem about the seating of her eyeball in the sockets. The doctor promised her that she'd not have to wear unsightly glasses but for a couple of years. Did he have to say that in front of me? Seriously. My turn was next and he laughed and said forget it, Claire, you will wear glasses every day of your life, forever! I already knew that, but at something like 10 years old, I sure as heck didn't need him making it sound like a life sentence! Which it is. Luckily, now they don't weigh a ton. both parents have had the surgery, but both still need to wear glasses.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have known for about five years now that I had cataracts developing. I know they have to ripen. Well at the beginning of this month, I went to have an eye exam, and the opthamologist decided it was time to get them taken care of. I can't stand to even have the eyes lens machine come near my eyes for an eye exam. And to have eye surgery has me shaken up. I am not afraid of surgery. When I had the open heart surgery, the doctor said the main reason I came through so well was my attitude before I even went into the OR. I was completely relaxed. All my vitals were right on normal, even through surgery.

But this is different. I have to be awake for the eye surgery. I have had day surgery on my hand, and no problem. I was a little ticked off that they put up a screen and I couldn't watch. I was sitting up the whole time and heard every word. No problem. I don't know which is worse. Having the surgery while I am awake, or saying no and allowing myself to go blind. I have an eye appointment with the eye surgeon on March 5th. The closer the day comes, the more upset I become. If they would put me to sleep, I would be calmer than when I had the heart surgery. But they tell me I have to be awake so I can talk to them.

I am also concerned because I have had three heart attacks already. I am afraid that being as upset and nervous as I am that I will have another one before and/or during. I can't seem to get this under control.
I'd share these concerns with the team. I have "dentalphobia." I brought a list of "rules" when I finally went to the dentist. The techs and dentist have been very good about respecting the list and, have helped me get past the anxiety I suffered from about going to the dentist. This procedure you are to undergo is routine to them, it isn't for you. If they are good at what they do, they will listen to your concerns and work with you, IMO. (I have a "rubber chicken that lays an egg when squeezed" that lives in my file at the dentist's office. That is what I squeeze when they are working on my teeth--if the egg pops out, they stop!). Oh--one of the "rules" is no talking to me or each other (office gossip) while they are working on my mouth. Another is "no lectures about flossing."
Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I was having dental fears too, but recently I had so much pain that I broke down and went to the dentist, 2 extractions and 2 root canals down and just caps and cleaning are left. My trick is to close my eyes when I see things like needles and big tools coming at my face. My dentist is also a part time comedian and practical joker, so it makes it more entertaining to be his patient, {his staff saran wrapped his car after a particularly mean joke} so I don't mind going at all. However if it was my eyes that were being worked on I would have to be knocked out.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The dentist gave me a script for a wonderful drug. Take 1 an hour before and one in the office...they had to wake me up and pour me in the chair. I was out for the whole procedure, got home and slept through the first 24 hours, no problem. If he hadn't done that for me, I would have gone to Bozeman that day instead of to get my teeth out.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Hang n there

Hang n there. When they (VA) did my left eye the only thing is I could I do is hear talking. Later when they did my right eye it was a little rougher. BUT it was worth it.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I'd share these concerns with the team. I have "dentalphobia." I brought a list of "rules" when I finally went to the dentist. The techs and dentist have been very good about respecting the list and, have helped me get past the anxiety I suffered from about going to the dentist. This procedure you are to undergo is routine to them, it isn't for you. If they are good at what they do, they will listen to your concerns and work with you, IMO. (I have a "rubber chicken that lays an egg when squeezed" that lives in my file at the dentist's office. That is what I squeeze when they are working on my teeth--if the egg pops out, they stop!). Oh--one of the "rules" is no talking to me or each other (office gossip) while they are working on my mouth. Another is "no lectures about flossing."
The thing that I love the most about my dentist, is that she doesn't lecture me, even when my mouth was all messed up, she was gentle, soft spoken, and understanding. She knew that money was tight, and helped guide me through the process as I could afford it.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
I have known for about five years now that I had cataracts developing. I know they have to ripen. Well at the beginning of this month, I went to have an eye exam, and the opthamologist decided it was time to get them taken care of. I can't stand to even have the eyes lens machine come near my eyes for an eye exam. And to have eye surgery has me shaken up. I am not afraid of surgery. When I had the open heart surgery, the doctor said the main reason I came through so well was my attitude before I even went into the OR. I was completely relaxed. All my vitals were right on normal, even through surgery.

Sorry you are so upset. I've got the same deal, only my appt is on March 6. Try talking to your doctor, and tell him you are very stressed over this, and see if he can't give you some anxiety meds. I'm not stressed about it, but another bad mammo will do me in.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am counseling a friend now through her first bouts with chemo for breast cancer. I'm about determined to lose my hair when she does, her husband will be losing his, too! There is a good side to breast cancer...it's very treatable, the easiest cancer to beat!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I am counseling a friend now through her first bouts with chemo for breast cancer. I'm about determined to lose my hair when she does, her husband will be losing his, too! There is a good side to breast cancer...it's very treatable, the easiest cancer to beat!
A friend of mine had breast cancer. When her hair grew back after the chemo, she had curly hair. She called it the chemo perm.