"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #41
Master Chef

This could be funny if you have a sense of humor. A few years ago I lost most of my hair. No, not chemo. Psoriasis. It kept coming out and coming out in clumps and clumps and more. I just gave up. OK, I'm going to be bald, so be it. It's not like I had pretty and full hair to begin with, I didn't. It was always thin and fine and ... well, blah. When I was just about to have my head shaved, it was so bad, the skin condition abated. But the hair that grew back in was insanely ... curly. It's settled to something I can live with, but, really, it was so curly it was crazy for awhile.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #42
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, lots of people get "Chemo Perms" upsetting if you don't know what to do with it. I have so much hair now that it is ridiculous...

Old 02-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Claire, when I was losing my hair a few years back, I mentioned it to my doctor. All she said was, "It is a nutrition problem." So I had to stop and think what wasn't I eating. Veggies! Sure enough when I started to eat them again, my hair stopped falling out. I too have psoraisis on my scalp. I have gone into full remission several times on my body, but never on my scalp. Don't know why. Just is. I think it is because I don't stay in remission long enough for my scalp to start going into remission. I do notice that it is less and doesn't itch as much when I am in remission. Right now I am in remission and have been for more than a year. I also have been using Taclonex. But fortunately I don't have to pay for it. It is $503.00 a tube. And I get two tubes a month. Whether I need them or not. Stress plays a big part in psorisis. But that is another story.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Until I was 21, I had "Carole King" hair. I ironed it and did all kinds of things to straighten it. After all the drugs I was given because of injuries from a car accident my hair straightened, and I had to have tons of fillings. I keep hoping my gray hair will be wild and curly....
Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #45
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Claire, when I was losing my hair a few years back, I mentioned it to my doctor. All she said was, "It is a nutrition problem." So I had to stop and think what wasn't I eating. Veggies! Sure enough when I started to eat them again, my hair stopped falling out. I too have psoraisis on my scalp. I have gone into full remission several times on my body, but never on my scalp. Don't know why. Just is. I think it is because I don't stay in remission long enough for my scalp to start going into remission. I do notice that it is less and doesn't itch as much when I am in remission. Right now I am in remission and have been for more than a year. I also have been using Taclonex. But fortunately I don't have to pay for it. It is $503.00 a tube. And I get two tubes a month. Whether I need them or not. Stress plays a big part in psorisis. But that is another story.
DH had terrible psoriasis; he had tried everything for it, and was on the Enbrel study. Nothing. He had given up. We heard on the radio about an OTC stuff called SkinZinc. By then I think he would have gone to a faith healer. So I got some and.........it worked!!!!! Enough so that he could get in the sun, and it's practically gone. A few spots but nothing like the rot he had before.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

I'll say a prayer for u
Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
DH had terrible psoriasis; he had tried everything for it, and was on the Enbrel study. Nothing. He had given up. We heard on the radio about an OTC stuff called SkinZinc. By then I think he would have gone to a faith healer. So I got some and.........it worked!!!!! Enough so that he could get in the sun, and it's practically gone. A few spots but nothing like the rot he had before.
I was supposed to be part of the Embrel study here in Boston. But I was working for the company that developed it. So I was excluded. I would know instantly if I was getting the real thing or the placebo. I was able to see every patients records in the study. Your husband probably was in the control group, which means he was getting the placebo. My girlfriend's husband was on it for several months. It worked for him. He went into total remission. I am glad that DH found something that works for him.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Edwards View Post
I'll say a prayer for u
Thank you.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #49
Senior Cook

Addie, I guess I lied. My appointment was on Thursday, 3/1. (Thanks Smartphone for alerting me)

Anyway, I got good news/bad news/good news. Good news: don't need to bother with the cataracts right now. Bad news: Eye pressure was of great concern; have beginning glacauma (my mother and uncle did, too.) Good news: the drops he gave me are the ones that grow eyelashes!! No more extensions for me!

I asked him about the cataract surgery, and I 'knew someone who was concerned.' He said that the light they use is shining so brightly in your eyes, that you can't see or feel anything, anyway. I was planning on taking my MP3 and playing the Doors in my headphones. I have done this for dental procedures.

Let us know how you do. I'm grateful they can diagnose these things, and treat them.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

My appointment is on the 8th. I will get all my questions answered then. I will be seeing the surgeon. She will examine my eyes herself to determine if I do need the surgery right now. I am a bit calmer now, but as the day approaches, I am sure I will work myself up again. Definitely will ask for a calming med. Right now I am concerned about all this stress and the effect it will have on my heart. Thank you for your concern. Will let you know how the appointment goes.

Sorry to hear about the glaucoma. I have been at risk for the past 30 years. But my eye pressure has stayed the same over the years. With the new equipment to measure the pressure, they now can get a more accurate number. And they no long have to blow that gust of air in your eye. I still hate those dang eye drops that enlarge your pupils.