"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have glaucoma and I hate that machine that measures the pressure. Monstrous thing coming at my eyeball. But, I don't stress about it.

I get the drops that make you grow eyelashes, but I have such short eyelashes it doesn't really help.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #52
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
Addie, I guess I lied. My appointment was on Thursday, 3/1. (Thanks Smartphone for alerting me)

Anyway, I got good news/bad news/good news. Good news: don't need to bother with the cataracts right now. Bad news: Eye pressure was of great concern; have beginning glacauma (my mother and uncle did, too.) Good news: the drops he gave me are the ones that grow eyelashes!! No more extensions for me!

I asked him about the cataract surgery, and I 'knew someone who was concerned.' He said that the light they use is shining so brightly in your eyes, that you can't see or feel anything, anyway. I was planning on taking my MP3 and playing the Doors in my headphones. I have done this for dental procedures.

Let us know how you do. I'm grateful they can diagnose these things, and treat them.
I had a patient who only used Lumigan in her left eye, beautiful long eyelashes...short stubby ones on the right.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I had a patient who only used Lumigan in her left eye, beautiful long eyelashes...short stubby ones on the right.
I had to use the drops in one eye only for the first eight weeks. The idea was to see how much the drops helped, by comparing to the other eye. Then the dose could be adjusted. I got slightly thicker eyelashes on the one eye. It wasn't Lumigan, it was Xalatan. I tried the Lumigan later, but it made my eyes sting a little bit and cost more.

The junior doctor who tested my eyes after eight weeks told me that both eyes had normal pressure and wrote me a 'script for the drops. I tried to get her to explain. To me this indicated that the drops were not working. I may have gotten a bit excited. She gave me ****. Why wasn't I happy that the pressure was normal?

I did eventually talk to the ophthalmologist in charge of my case, but didn't get any kind of sensible answers. I'm looking for another ophthalmologist now. Over a few years, it hasn't gotten better.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #54
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I had to use the drops in one eye only for the first eight weeks. The idea was to see how much the drops helped, by comparing to the other eye. Then the dose could be adjusted.

The junior doctor who tested my eyes after eight weeks told me that both eyes had normal pressure and wrote me a 'script for the drops. I tried to get her to explain. To me this indicated that the drops were not working. I may have gotten a bit excited. She gave me ****. Why wasn't I happy that the pressure was normal?

I did eventually talk to the ophthalmologist in charge of my case, but didn't get any kind of sensible answers. I'm looking for another ophthalmologist now. Over a few years, it hasn't gotten better.
Yeah, I think I would find someone else, too. Doesn't make any type of sense to me to only treat one eye...unless the other eye has normal pressure.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah, I think I would find someone else, too. Doesn't make any type of sense to me to only treat one eye...unless the other eye has normal pressure.
No, both eyes are being treated, that was just to see if the drops worked on me and how much, since eye pressure varies throughout the day.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #56
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
No, both eyes are being treated, that was just to see if the drops worked on me and how much, since eye pressure varies throughout the day.
Still not sure about only treating one eye for 8 weeks...I can see a trial to see if it works, but not just one eye.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Still not sure about only treating one eye for 8 weeks...I can see a trial to see if it works, but not just one eye.
The explanation was because the pressure varies throughout the day and both eyes tend to have the same pressure. So if the eye with the drops is at 14 mmHg and the eye without the drops is at 18 mmHg, we assume that the drops made the difference of 4mmHg and can calculate a dosage based on that knowledge. Apparently the eye drops effect varies greatly between patients.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #58
Assistant Cook

Tats

There is a guy who does tats on your head that looks like u just shaved ur head.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, my appointment was for 11 o'clock. At 12 o'clock I walked out. If I were five minutes late, they would make me schedule another appointment. What makes them think my time is not as valuable as theirs. I was sitting outside waiting for my ride. They came and found me about twenty minutes later. So back inside I go.

The final consensus is that because of my heat problems, they want to consult with my cardiologist and an anesthesiologist. They will let me know in a month. I will have to go back and let the anesthesiologist examine me. Then they will decide. They have an absolute rule, no surgery for any patient that has had a heart attack within one year from the date for the eye surgery. Unfortunately, at this time I fall into that category. In a month I will be outside those parameters. They checked my BP while I was there. It was sky high. One of them stated that if it was this high just talking about the surgery, what was it going to be like on the day of surgery.

So now I just have to wait for these dang eye drops to wear off so I can see what I am typing.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well, my appointment was for 11 o'clock. At 12 o'clock I walked out. If I were five minutes late, they would make me schedule another appointment. What makes them think my time is not as valuable as theirs. I was sitting outside waiting for my ride. They came and found me about twenty minutes later. So back inside I go.

The final consensus is that because of my heat problems, they want to consult with my cardiologist and an anesthesiologist. They will let me know in a month. I will have to go back and let the anesthesiologist examine me. Then they will decide. They have an absolute rule, no surgery for any patient that has had a heart attack within one year from the date for the eye surgery. Unfortunately, at this time I fall into that category. In a month I will be outside those parameters. They checked my BP while I was there. It was sky high. One of them stated that if it was this high just talking about the surgery, what was it going to be like on the day of surgery.

So now I just have to wait for these dang eye drops to wear off so I can see what I am typing.
"White Coat Syndrome" the biggest cause of High Blood Pressure. Ask Son #3 if that is true. What they need are readings from a normal week with no MD appointments. Day and night readings to see what your true BP is, not when you have anxiety over doctor's appointments. I'm still advocating for a mild anti-anxiety medication to help you while you are waiting.