"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have glaucoma and I hate that machine that measures the pressure. Monstrous thing coming at my eyeball. But, I don't stress about it.

I get the drops that make you grow eyelashes, but I have such short eyelashes it doesn't really help.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #52
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
Addie, I guess I lied. My appointment was on Thursday, 3/1. (Thanks Smartphone for alerting me)

Anyway, I got good news/bad news/good news. Good news: don't need to bother with the cataracts right now. Bad news: Eye pressure was of great concern; have beginning glacauma (my mother and uncle did, too.) Good news: the drops he gave me are the ones that grow eyelashes!! No more extensions for me!

I asked him about the cataract surgery, and I 'knew someone who was concerned.' He said that the light they use is shining so brightly in your eyes, that you can't see or feel anything, anyway. I was planning on taking my MP3 and playing the Doors in my headphones. I have done this for dental procedures.

Let us know how you do. I'm grateful they can diagnose these things, and treat them.
I had a patient who only used Lumigan in her left eye, beautiful long eyelashes...short stubby ones on the right.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I had a patient who only used Lumigan in her left eye, beautiful long eyelashes...short stubby ones on the right.
I had to use the drops in one eye only for the first eight weeks. The idea was to see how much the drops helped, by comparing to the other eye. Then the dose could be adjusted. I got slightly thicker eyelashes on the one eye. It wasn't Lumigan, it was Xalatan. I tried the Lumigan later, but it made my eyes sting a little bit and cost more.

The junior doctor who tested my eyes after eight weeks told me that both eyes had normal pressure and wrote me a 'script for the drops. I tried to get her to explain. To me this indicated that the drops were not working. I may have gotten a bit excited. She gave me ****. Why wasn't I happy that the pressure was normal?

I did eventually talk to the ophthalmologist in charge of my case, but didn't get any kind of sensible answers. I'm looking for another ophthalmologist now. Over a few years, it hasn't gotten better.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #54
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I had to use the drops in one eye only for the first eight weeks. The idea was to see how much the drops helped, by comparing to the other eye. Then the dose could be adjusted.

The junior doctor who tested my eyes after eight weeks told me that both eyes had normal pressure and wrote me a 'script for the drops. I tried to get her to explain. To me this indicated that the drops were not working. I may have gotten a bit excited. She gave me ****. Why wasn't I happy that the pressure was normal?

I did eventually talk to the ophthalmologist in charge of my case, but didn't get any kind of sensible answers. I'm looking for another ophthalmologist now. Over a few years, it hasn't gotten better.
Yeah, I think I would find someone else, too. Doesn't make any type of sense to me to only treat one eye...unless the other eye has normal pressure.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yeah, I think I would find someone else, too. Doesn't make any type of sense to me to only treat one eye...unless the other eye has normal pressure.
No, both eyes are being treated, that was just to see if the drops worked on me and how much, since eye pressure varies throughout the day.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #56
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
No, both eyes are being treated, that was just to see if the drops worked on me and how much, since eye pressure varies throughout the day.
Still not sure about only treating one eye for 8 weeks...I can see a trial to see if it works, but not just one eye.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Still not sure about only treating one eye for 8 weeks...I can see a trial to see if it works, but not just one eye.
The explanation was because the pressure varies throughout the day and both eyes tend to have the same pressure. So if the eye with the drops is at 14 mmHg and the eye without the drops is at 18 mmHg, we assume that the drops made the difference of 4mmHg and can calculate a dosage based on that knowledge. Apparently the eye drops effect varies greatly between patients.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #58
Assistant Cook
 
Nick Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Auberry, Ca.
Posts: 13
Tats

There is a guy who does tats on your head that looks like u just shaved ur head.
__________________
Nick Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Well, my appointment was for 11 o'clock. At 12 o'clock I walked out. If I were five minutes late, they would make me schedule another appointment. What makes them think my time is not as valuable as theirs. I was sitting outside waiting for my ride. They came and found me about twenty minutes later. So back inside I go.

The final consensus is that because of my heat problems, they want to consult with my cardiologist and an anesthesiologist. They will let me know in a month. I will have to go back and let the anesthesiologist examine me. Then they will decide. They have an absolute rule, no surgery for any patient that has had a heart attack within one year from the date for the eye surgery. Unfortunately, at this time I fall into that category. In a month I will be outside those parameters. They checked my BP while I was there. It was sky high. One of them stated that if it was this high just talking about the surgery, what was it going to be like on the day of surgery.

So now I just have to wait for these dang eye drops to wear off so I can see what I am typing.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well, my appointment was for 11 o'clock. At 12 o'clock I walked out. If I were five minutes late, they would make me schedule another appointment. What makes them think my time is not as valuable as theirs. I was sitting outside waiting for my ride. They came and found me about twenty minutes later. So back inside I go.

The final consensus is that because of my heat problems, they want to consult with my cardiologist and an anesthesiologist. They will let me know in a month. I will have to go back and let the anesthesiologist examine me. Then they will decide. They have an absolute rule, no surgery for any patient that has had a heart attack within one year from the date for the eye surgery. Unfortunately, at this time I fall into that category. In a month I will be outside those parameters. They checked my BP while I was there. It was sky high. One of them stated that if it was this high just talking about the surgery, what was it going to be like on the day of surgery.

So now I just have to wait for these dang eye drops to wear off so I can see what I am typing.
"White Coat Syndrome" the biggest cause of High Blood Pressure. Ask Son #3 if that is true. What they need are readings from a normal week with no MD appointments. Day and night readings to see what your true BP is, not when you have anxiety over doctor's appointments. I'm still advocating for a mild anti-anxiety medication to help you while you are waiting.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.